Start by marking “24 Hours That Changed the World - Hardcover Book” as Want to Read:
24 Hours That Changed the World - Hardcover Book

24 Hours That Changed the World - Hardcover Book

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  61 reviews
In his best-selling book, 24 Hours that Changed the World, pastor and popular author Adam Hamilton helped readers relive the one day in history that changed everything. Now, on this Special Edition Book and DVD package, Hamilton invites both readers and viewers to experience and understand the significance of Jesus final hours. Drawing on insights from history, archaeology ...more
Unknown Binding, 72 pages
Published October 5th 2014 by Abingdon Press (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 24 Hours That Changed the World - Hardcover Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 24 Hours That Changed the World - Hardcover Book

James
Quite interesting. I am reading it as part of group study. Adam is well read, and has some wonderful points. Definitely has a few bones to spit out, but considering it's coming from a United Methodist, it's really quite good.
David Todd
Our church used this book for an all-church study: sermons tied to Sunday school lessons. I co-taught this in an adult Sunday school class, and received a copy of the book from the church.

This is not an awful book, but it's certainly one of the best I've read either. The premise is good: Jesus' death was an event that changed the world. I could pick at Hamilton a bit to say that it was His resurrection, more than his death, that changed the apostles and thus changed the world. Of course, you can
Wanda
I just completed a Bible study on 24 Hours That Changed the World and it truly exceeded my expectations. Adam Hamilton writes in a clear and simple way, while providing a wealth of information. Uplifting, insightful, and powerful! I highly recommend.
Amy  Katherine Brown
A great book which takes a look at Jesus' last 24 hours on earth. As a Believer all my life, I found the book to expand upon my knowledge, as connections were made between Old Testament writings and things that occurred during the last hours before Jesus' death and resurrection.

Of course, I also feel that there could not have been a much better time to read this book, than during the Lenten season, as we look forward to Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday. I certainly feel as though my
Kia
Apr 27, 2012 Kia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kia by: Alice
Interesting books about the last 24 hours of the life of Christ. There are facts about the crucifixion that I never knew. Mostly, Hamilton spends the book putting the reader in the shoes of the various players in this oft-told but little understood story. I don't recall ever getting a history lesson about these factions and competing narratives before. I understand more about this time and these circumstances than I ever have and for that I'm grateful to Hamilton for the work he did preparing th ...more
Nicki
This is an excellent audiobook to help to really get to grips with the last day in the life of Jesus. Its very comprehensive in biblical, cultural and historical detail which makes it an incredibly interesting audio. I've learnt so much from listening to this that I couldn't have got from just reading my bible and I am very grateful to Adam Hamilton,the author for going into so much detail.
At times it was very uncomfortable as the author puts you on the spot to consider how you would behave in t
Kathy
May 18, 2012 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kathy by: My Pastor
Adam Hamilton's book, 24 Hours That Changed the World, revealed that during the last twenty-four hours of Jesus’s life, everyone around Jesus failed him in some way. They fell asleep when he needed their support, turned their back on him, denied, betrayed, humiliated, tortured, dehumanized, and lastly, crucified an innocent man? What were they thinking? How could they be so thoughtless and cruel? My God, how could we as humans have done this to Jesus? If I had been there, could I have done that ...more
Jan Mcleod
Another powerfully written and moving book. Hamilton skillfully and gently unfolds the day that Jesus died with fresh insights. He suggests our response to the crucifixion and offers hope, freedom, love, triumph over evil, restoration with God, and life eternal.
Another MUST read!
Deborah
The story of Easter. I started this book thinking what could I read that I haven't already read somewhere about those 3 most important days? This book does a fabulous job of describing the events leading up to Jesus' death. I am going to share some of this with my girls and recommend everyone read this book.
Diane
I was interested in the topic, but found the writing a little disjointed. Adam Hamilton's books usually have a great flow to them. This book and DVD series provides a lot of introspective questions to what we know about the last day of Jesus.
Jessica
I think I like Adam Hamilton (I've also read his book "The Journey" centering on the Nativity story), because he reads the Bible like an English major. He makes me notice little details and look at things in the Bible I've read hundreds of times in a different light. He does a great job of making the characters of the Bible's decisions more understandable, even if you still don't agree with them. He also writes in a way that's thought-provoking and makes you assess your life without being overly ...more
This book is a good read for anyone who wants to better understand the historical context and details of Jesus' last days on earth.
Lori Schwilling
God has blessed Adam Hamilton with a rare gift. I am grateful for his generous spirit in sharing the fruits of his ministry. I look forward to making "24 Hours" the theme of this year's Lenten services in my congregation.
Maggie Boyd
This is an indepth look at the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. I found some of the authors points very interesting. He made some relevant reflections regarding just what it might mean to befriend a man who is condemned to die. He makes note of the strain the apostles were under, underscores the political situation that contributed to the tensions in the city and explains what the Jewish people were looking for in a Messiah.

Sometimes I felt he drew conclusions which had no foundational backing but t
Aaron Smith
Adam Hamilton's book really takes an in-depth look at the final 24 hours of Christ's life here on earth. So many of the "familiar" scenes and storylines are exposed to our senses of how it really must have been in Palestine during that time that this book makes you rediscover the time period leading upto his death. Many of the resources that went along with the book and leader's guide helped to spark great conversation and sharing of ideas/beliefs in our small group study.
Chrystlyn Edwards
Very thought provoking. I have a new appreciation for the Resurrection & my ❤️for Christ is stronger.
Chelly
Great retelling of the last 24hrs of Jesus's life. We even get the end if he story with the birth of what becomes Christianity. Awesome read for both believers and non believers. He presents facts in a way I never before saw them. The video series that goes along with lets people see the sites in the Holy Land up close and lets us be part of the story.
Amy
I read this as a part of a 40 day Lenten study at my church. My thoughts are summed up by a quote by Adam Hamilton toward the end of the book... "People ask me, 'Do you really believe this story of the Resurrection?' And my answer is always the same. I not only believe in it, I am counting on it."
Carol Wunderlich
Simple but thorough look at the last day of Jesus' life and Easter. Great summary and explanation of the fiour most popular views of atonement. Good study for lent for small groups... good job of trying to include the reader in the various perspectives of the passion narrative.
Ed
His boldest moment is when he compares the humiliation and torment of Jesus by Roman soldiers with the behavior of U.S. troops at Abu Ghraib. Adam Hamilton's walk through of the Gospel story of Jesus last day is occasionally too literal an interpretation, but overall is in a good spirit.
Lindsay
Good book. Interesting to think about the different points of view that there were Jesus' sacrifice. Made me think of who I identified with and how I would have reacted to it. Pretty in depth look at the last 24 hrs of his life (and a little on his resurrection).
Erin- SeRiAL Book Reader Whittenberger
This book was pretty good, but it would be best for someone not knowing the crucifixion story or just beginning their Christian walk... I do recommend this book.. But not for someone who has well read the bible, you might get bored with this book... Just my opinion!
Lawrence Tuck
Wonderful book. Very informative, not opinionated like many non-fiction books you encounter. Very thorough, author brings out a lot of points I had not considered at all. Bought this book and gave it to a friend for a present, as he loves to read even more than I do!
JM
The content of the book was pretty good, however, it was a little repetitive. I think it's great for beginner Christians and a little watered down for Theologians and Biblical scholars. Overall, pretty good book that I may use for small group devotionals.
Tiffany
If you read this book, I promise you will learn something about the story of Easter. Adam Hamilton combines the biblical story with lots of history and theology - you may even change your perceptions of some of the main characters in this moving story.
Brenda
I enjoyed being challenged to think about how I would have reacted during the last few hours of the life of Christ had I been a disciple, follower, friend, or a Roman soldier. Thought provoking and a perfect time of the year to read this book.
Jeanie
This book was very detailed in the explanations of the seder meal which I found very interesting and also encouraging in the faith. This is a great book to read at Easter just to put you in the mindset of Jesus and what he went thru.
Kristen Stieffel
Taught from this during Lent, in conjunction with the related video. The class found it very informative. Hamilton's insights are often profound. This book also contains the most cogent teaching on the atonement I've ever read.
Anna Hargett
This book was pretty good. I did like the way he made me think about some aspects of Jesus in a different way. I would highly recommend this for new Christians, or people who are interested in learning more about the faith.
Debbie
Worth reading in conjuction with viewing the video disc that accompanies it. This well-researched Bible study teaches about the final 24 hours of Jesus' life and provides perspective and great insight.
  • Christmas Is Not Your Birthday: Experience the Joy of Living and Giving Like Jesus
  • Unbinding the Gospel: Real Life Evangelism
  • Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations
  • Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament
  • Hurt: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers
  • Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church
  • The Shelter of God's Promises
  • Not Your Parents' Offering Plate: A New Vision for Financial Stewardship
  • Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship
  • Choose Joy: Because Happiness Isn't Enough
  • What's So Amazing About Grace / Where is God When It Hurts (Two Books In One)
  • Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible: Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God
  • Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible
  • Autopsy of a Deceased Church: 12 Ways to Keep Yours Alive
Rev. Adam Hamilton is the founding pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas. He grew up in the Kansas City area. He earned a B.A. degree in Pastoral Ministry from Oral Roberts University and a Master of Divinity Degree from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University.

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection has grown from four people in 19
More about Adam Hamilton...
When Christians Get It Wrong The Journey: Walking the Road to Bethlehem Why?: Making Sense Of God's Will Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics Making Sense of the Bible: Rediscovering the Power of Scripture Today