Start by marking “Nate the Great Goes Undercover” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great Goes Undercover

Nate the Great Goes Undercover (Nate the Great #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  524 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Nate the Great has his first night case! "Detective work is not fun and games," Nate explains. "Detective work is dirty garbage cans instead of clean beds. Detective work is banana peels, dishrags, milk cartons, floor sweepings, cigar ashes, fleas, and me..."

Published February 15th 1978 by Yearling (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great Goes Undercover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great Goes Undercover

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
65th out of 91 books — 2 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca SimonDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseDragon Rider by Cornelia FunkeThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
112th out of 133 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Alfreda Morrissey
It is a cute little book. My daughter (6 at the time) who was completely opposed to chapter books agreed reluctantly to listen. She did end up liking it. It was slightly funny with very simple language. The main running gag was the fact that Nate feeds his dog's pancakes.

I would not read these as an adult for my own amusement, but my daughter kind of liked it. I will probably not purchase the rest in the series unless she wants to read them herself.

For reading aloud, there are many more interes
Rebecca
Really fun story. I got a few laughs out of it and definitely thought it was a cute mystery.
Devin A.
i =really enjoy this book because nate always finds something to do no matter what happens
Barbara
Corbin
Feb 02, 2009 Corbin added it
this was proboly one of my favorite nate the great book.
Luke
It was a fun little book. It was alright.
Theresa
good early mystery
Alberta Medina
Interest Level: Grades 3-5
Lexile Reading Level: 300L
Nate and his dog are doing their best to find the creature that has been raiding a neighbor's trashcan. A fun read to share with younger readers interested in chapter books or reluctant readers who are interested in mystery. Great for problem solving and critical thinking. One of the many books in the Nate the Great Series with familiar characters for younger readers.
Abbey
Back to Nate's adventures, but this time, the added element of a nighttime investigation and a new sidekick: a dog named Sludge, fellow pancake addict.
Nate is looking for the culprit that keeps tipping over Oliver's trashcans at night. Nate spends some quality time in the library, in a field, and in a garbage can.
Riotous as ever when read in my best Guy-Noir-hardboiled detective voice.
Megan Gitter
kind of funny and cute, not much to a background or setting though (where are his parents?)
Dolly
Jun 26, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A fairly typical entry in the Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Marc Simont. This one has him getting into stinky garbage to find out who's tipping over Oliver's garbage can. Interesting, a quick read, and simple sentences for beginning readers. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Grandma
Fun, educational, great reading for kids.
Heidi
A good read for beginners. Perhaps first grade. Large type, lots of white space, enough pictures throughout to help along with reading. Occasional big words to help the reader feel good, but also enough repeated words to make getting through it easier. And I like that the oh so great Nate still has troubles of his own and admits them. I'm sure the rest of the series is probably good for beginners, too.
Christy

It's a tough case. Somebody is raiding Oliver's garbage can each night, but who? The list of suspects is long--Rosam..
Ayana Mishelle
book 80 oages , one of our second grade students had it in his book book. took me a few lunch times to read the book and I read a lot. The book is a series and has short easky sentences and can be used for prediction. The fact that a little boy in our class loved the book may be the what you should go on , he liked the book and I am sure other first or second graders will like it too.
Kristine Pratt
Once again Nate the Great is called upon to solve a mystery, this time of who keeps tipping over the neighborhood garbage cans. He has to get right down to the smelly task to find out.

I'm still amazed by the author's strong voice in such a short book. This one got a little silly so I'm calling it more a 4.5 stars then 4. But it was still a fun read and highly recommended.
Clinton Brown
In this book Nate was sleeping so then the phone rong. Then Nate woke up to answer. It was one of his friends he told Nate that he had a problem.then went to his house to see what the problem was he said some has been tipping his trash can over it .Then Nate had a plan he said that he will be in the trash can tonight . Then he herad something it was his dog sludge
Shelley
This could very well be our favorite in the entire series. Nate faces his first night case. He looks left, he looks right, he looks behind. Left, Right, Behind, BAM! He smacks into a pole. It was right in front of him. The one place he forgot to look. My son never fails to laugh at the last line..."I, Nate the Great, am pooped."
Mr. Graham
I have debated whether or not these books are worth the time to include here. This book is hilarious. This author really created a great thing with this series of books. Her sense of humor really connected with my five-year-old (and me).
Terri Pray
The second in the Nate the Great stories that Jack has read with help. Some words he stumbled over, but it's a fun story with some repetitive words/sentences that make it easier for young readers to complete the story.
Kendra
Fun old series that my going into first grader can read to me...a step up in complexity from our beloved "Henry and Mudge", and just as silly. I read these myself in grade school and am happy to revisit them!
Claire
I like Nate the Great books, Nate is a bright boy who lives in a nice little commun ity with a great group of friends who work together to solve lifes little mysteries.
Aimee Garcia
This book is good if you are small and like mystery's.It's like a mystery book for little kids.He hides in weird places.
Young-In Soh
Nate the Great is such a good book series for kids to start reading to. The illustrations make them great, too. =D
Daisy
OK, ignore what I said about not reviewing childhood favorites. This series is utterly brilliant.
Schmobes
Level 4. Kiddo loves Nate the Great. High interest, not always what you expect.
J.J.
Narrator is good but not as good as others. Still really cute though.
Devin
I learned that being a detective is not easy.
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Walk the Dog
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
  • Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt
Nate the Great Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail