Start by marking “Galax-Arena” as Want to Read:
Galax-Arena

Galax-Arena (Galax-Arena #1)

Peter, Joella, and Lianne are forced onto a spaceship and taken to the planet Vexa where they are made to perform death-defying stunts for their alien captors. Joella has never been a good gymnast and now she faces the unspeakable alternative - becoming a Vexan's pet....
Published February 1st 1997 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Galax-Arena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Galax-Arena

Jacqueline Brocker
Nov 03, 2012 Jacqueline Brocker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nanolomo
Another Australian book, this time, what was one of my first forays into science fiction, and also perhaps one of the darker books I encountered. Not dark just because of the theme of its plot – children kidnapped into space to perform high-risk gymnastics so their adrenalin rush would be transmuted to their alien audience – but because of the rather eye-opening social dynamics between the children and teens who had been abducted. You had your three Australian kids – Peter, Joella (the narrator) ...more
Danae
Dec 19, 2008 Danae rated it it was ok
This is, hands down, the most Bee-zar book I've ever read.
I was in India and took *A Map of the World* with me, and read it in short order.
At one of the Havali's, tourists had left a stack of paperbacks on a shelf (take one, leave one style) and because I had a 12hr overnight bus ride looming, I needed additional reading.
I chose this book because the first few pages sounded compelling (kids getting kidnapped for ???) and for the first chapter or so, I was right there. Unfortunately, the book th
Tulsi
Oct 13, 2008 Tulsi rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic piece of complex writing. Told from an adolesence point of view, this is the story of three siblings who are kidnapped from Earth by aliens, and brought to another planet to perform tricks in a circus. It sounds a little silly, but it's an amazing premise on which to explore so many themes on a much darker level than what is usually seen in children's literature - everything from the deconstruction of humanity, to love, family and survival of the fittest. I love how this book do ...more
Lana Burke
Oct 23, 2010 Lana Burke rated it it was amazing
I must have read this book over a decade ago and I still think about it, that's pretty powerful for being a YA Fiction book. This book rocked my world when I read it, it's like "The Hunger Games" but more sci-fi. And better.

Seriously, this book is awesome. It has a real "Lord of the Flies" element and believable (to me) characters that don't flip-flop or have a strange disconnect from their own emotions the way Katniss from "The Hunger Games" so does (that really bothered me!).

This book is also
Steph
a fascinating, disturbing read. the ending is a complete shock and surprise. i was fully immersed in the story as a science fiction work and then was shocked to be jerked out of that mindset back into reality. this book was amazing just because of the astonishing creativity of the plot concept - a truly original, and surprising idea seems so rare these days, and here even though the idea is so novel it seems fully plausible as something that might actually happen today. also, the children's inte ...more
Christina
I don't know what to say about this book.
For one, their made up language was so unbelievably irritating.
And another - I don't understand why the stuffed toy could talk. Especially with the way the book ended.
I'm also not sure if I'm meant to class this as science-fiction anymore...
On the other hand, it does have an interesting premise, and an interesting plot twist.
Hmm. I don't know. Mixed feelings, clearly.
Betty
Sep 11, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
This is a chilling read which would suit 13-14 year olds. It has a similar premise to The Hunger Games. In Galex Arena, children are kidnapped and made to perform in the Gymna- a version of the Colosseum. It had me on the edge of my seat and I can't wait to read the sequel. It is thought provoking and well written.
Lynette
Nov 24, 2014 Lynette rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of psycho sci fi and william sleator
In the moldering pre-fab container in my school which doubled as a Catholic prayer room and library there was a collection of musty plastic-wrapped packages shoved on a shelf. A treasure was buried among the yellowed debris, it itself rather worn too. This is a review of that treasure- Galax Arena. (Note:I have since then reread the book a couple of times so my views have changed- in sophistication and depth.)

Set in the future (2025) and written in the past, the timeline of Galax Arena laughin
Kelly Bryson
Mar 08, 2012 Kelly Bryson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Galax-Arena is: Hunger Games marries Cirque Du Soliel and they have a baby. That baby grows up and meets Enders Game and they have a baby. Except the grandbaby was published way back in 1993! Feels really fresh--it fits in so nicely with all of the Hunger Games spin offs that it makes me wonder if Suzanne Collins was inspired by it!

Joella and her brother Peter and her sister Liane are kidnapped and shipped across the universe to live as acrobatic performers for the Vexa, an alien race who get th
Kevin
Apr 22, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it
Galax Arena is quite a complex piece of writing with a lot of hidden symbols in it. At first it was a little challenging to grasp what author Gillian Rubinstein was trying to prove, although at the end of the book it was very apparent.

Galax Arena is about three siblings Joella, Peter and Liane. The trio's mother abandons the family while their father is on the verge of going insane. The three are supposedly traveling to live with their aunt Jill when a mysterious person named Hythe approaches t
Verkizen
Galax-Arena by Gillian Rubinstein is a novel that I love when I was younger. For one of my classes, I was required to reread a novel I remembered from my youth, and during discussion this book came up. I loved this book when I was in elementary school. I was a little surprised to see that it's recommended for kids 12+ because I definitely read it when I was 8 or 9. That's pretty typical for me though.

Galax-Arena is about three siblings: Peter, Joella and Liane. They're kidnapped by a man named H
Lore
I read this book for school, not for my own personal enjoyment.

For the record. Anway, it was okay. A very 'eh' book. I think a 2-star 'it was okay' is appropriate.

The Plot: This, for lack of better words, is something of a Christopher Pike decides to write MG books.
Granted it is more subdued than a CP book.

Anyway, Joella, her sister Liane and brother Peter get kidnapped by some guy who drugs them with coffee and they get sent into outter space.
There, they are forced to perform tricky circus
Ariana S
Aug 23, 2012 Ariana S rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazings
This novel is a book that I picked up by chance in a dusty library in Soho, New York. It was a moment out of a cheesy movie where a book falls out from the top shelf and hits the protagonist on the head. That is exactly what happened to me. After I got over the shock of being hit, I sat down and started to read the book. Galax-Arena by Gillian Rubinstein revolves around the lives of three children after they get kidnapped and sent to another planet. Joella, Peter, and Liane are sent to a place c ...more
Tinika
There are good books and there are great books and, occasionally, I come across an “Oh, Wow!” book. For me, The Galax-Arena falls into that category yet it is a book that is challenged to find the right audience. Aside from the patois used by the children in some of their dialogue, the writing style is quite accessible for students in grades 4, 5, and 6. This, coupled with a pre-teen narrator, suggests a book for that age bracket but the themes are very much young adult. The narrator, Joelle, ha ...more
Kitkat
Apr 07, 2009 Kitkat rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK EVER!!!

I've read this book several times and I absolutely love it. I first read it when I was about 9 (maybe younger) and I was a little confused, but thought it was great nonetheless, and almost 12 years later I love it even more. It took over 10 years for me to be able to read the sequel (it wasn't published for a long time after the 1st, and it was never published in America), and for years the ending of Galax Arena almost killed me because of how badly I wanted to find out what hap
Kalliste
Feb 05, 2016 Kalliste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I initially read this for school. I'm not sure how old I was, maybe 12? I loved it then and was somewhat taken by Hythe's charm. Reading it now, 20 years later, as an adult I wonder what it was in his charm that I liked as a child.. maybe I was just little more naive back them.

Anyway, I still really enjoy this book and it was fun to remember the little bits that I had forgotten and it's nice to know it can stand the test of time and age and is still a good, quick read as an adult. I didn't actua
Kit
Feb 10, 2012 Kit rated it liked it
This book is a lot like The Hunger Games, but The Hunger Games is probably less confusing, and more exciting. I found the aspect of this book quite confusing, and wished it would get to the point a bit more. I also thought it was quite cruel, but quite moving, and it had a horrible ending.
Brittany
Oct 31, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it
I first read this book in middle school - it's a children's book so it is pretty short. I loved it so much that it stuck with me over the years and I just HAD to find it to own a copy of my own. It took me forever (because I couldn't remember the title) - but I was so excited when I finally found an old library copy on Amazon. This book is on my "Forever" shelf - and I pull it out to re-read quite often.
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 06, 2016 Carterkempgmail.Com rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark
A dark, dystopian view of the future; children are kidnapped to serve the cruel whims of an alien race far from Earth. Because the author spends more time on the main character's internal struggle than her attempts to escape, some readers will lose interest before the harrowing and violent climax. I'll likely not buy this for my (elementary school) library but will certainly look for other books by the author.
Courtney
Nov 17, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it
I read this book many years ago- I believe I was in the second or third grade- and it haunted me. This was one of the first science fiction books I'd ever read, and I couldn't get the themes out of my head, they were so bizarre and surreal. I would like to go back and reread it, now that I'm an adult with a plethora of science fiction literature in my head, and discover if it was truly as impactful as I remember it to be. Four stars, because I liked it as a child and still remember reading it.
Sarah Skaggs
Oct 24, 2011 Sarah Skaggs rated it really liked it
When I first read this, I was in my teens. And it brought up a very good point on our perspective of slavery and how we treat our pets and what have you. It was very good in that and it opened my eyes to the possibility that we're all slaves to an extent. And what would we do if the roles of our pets' lives and our lives were switched? Very good read.
Megan
Jan 12, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably going to be a little bit biased bc this was one of my favorite books as a kid, but I wanted to re read it as I hadn't read it in 20 years. Once again, I really liked it. It has a great ending, and my only criticism is I wish this wasn't a kid's book! I want about 200 more pages of in depth content! Even as is, it's absolutely worth reading.
Constance Burris
Jul 22, 2009 Constance Burris rated it it was amazing
One of the best books i've read this year. It was short and sweet. No fluff. Great Diverse characters, which suprised me. There were Asians, Hispanics, and Jamaicains. Loved it. but most of all the story haunted my dreams. There was a point in the book where I had to put it down because I was scared. Great Book!
Nola
Nov 26, 2013 Nola rated it it was ok
I found the ending to be weak. Couldn't the author have gone into a bit more detail about how the children were found and how they were reunited with their families? Was the government supposed to be in on it? Why was the facility built in Australia when that meant transporting children from other places in the world? The resolution was less than satisfactory.
Deb
Jun 22, 2007 Deb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who roam apart from the herd
First-person narration that depicts the loneliness of being the only kidnapped child in a family of three who does not giving in to Stockholm syndrome. With aliens, gymnastics, and an Ender's Game-esque setting :)
Colleen
Feb 06, 2014 Colleen rated it really liked it
This book was probably one of my first adventures into science fiction literature. Parts of this book floated in the back of my mind until I just recently figured out the title of this book. I loved it at the time, and it hooked me on reading science fiction forever.
Josephine
This book has quite an interesting premise but the characters are unlikable, the twists are frustrating and the made up language is utterly annoying. Any comparisons to The Hunger Games are offensive to The Hunger Games.
Sally
♥♥♥♥♥ absolute, super-duper top five of all time favourite. I must have read this at least once a month for the first few years after it came out - it's just so rich and amazing and the ending line is so deliciously aggravating :D
Cass
Feb 07, 2015 Cass rated it liked it
Very different. A friend gave this to me to read as a break for my usual non-fiction reading. The ending I found left a few holes in the story, the frightening story its self makes up for this though.
Bev
Mar 13, 2011 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Year 7-8
Shelves: sci-fi
What is it like to be a pet of another species? Is it better to risk you life for an alien audience, or starve to death in our own land? If you were offered safety in exchange for selling others into slavery, would you take it? A great read.
  • The Timekeeper (Finders Keepers, #2)
  • Virtual War (Virtual War Chronologs, #1)
  • Penny Pollard's Diary
  • Children of the Atom
  • Thunderwith
  • Del-Del
  • Blinky Bill
  • Burning Eddy
  • Don't Pat the Wombat!
  • The Gathering
  • The Classic Ten: The True Story of the Little Black Dress and Nine Other Fashion Favorites
  • Strange Objects
  • Flight of the Raven (Ark, #2)
  • Unreal! (Uncollected)