Start by marking “The Dark Flight Down (Book of Dead Days, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Flight Down (Book of Dead Days, #2)

The Dark Flight Down (Book of Dead Days #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  766 ratings  ·  53 reviews
In the morning you should think
You might not last unto the night
In the evening you should think
You might not last unto the morn

Boy has survived the terrors of life with the magician Valerian, dark magic, and deadly chases, but he is still on the run. Now, as the City lies frozen, he is captured and incarcerated in the Emperor Frederick’s palace. Boy is transported to a wor
Published December 18th 2007 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published July 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Flight Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Flight Down

Garry
When a book is a mere, oh, 250 pages -- and little pages at that -- it is unfortunate that such a significant portion of the limited space and time of the book is consumed with the "stage business" of this as a sequel. For the first 60 to 80 pages, it felt as if any one step forward required five steps backwards and sideways to connect the action in this book with the events of the previous book.

Once again, the description and atmosphere are the best parts. But here the connections between Boy
Karen
Sequel to The Book of Dead Days.Boy has survived the terrors of life with the magician Valerian, dark magic and deadly chases, but he is still on the run. Now, as the City lies frozen in the icy claws of winter, he is captured and incarcerated in the Emperor Frederick's palace. Boy is transported to a world of gilded finery and splendor beyond his wildest imaging. But this world is full of madness and cruelty, closely guarded secrets and terrifying revelations. . . . There Boy and Willow must ou ...more
Andrew
First of all I will apologise as I am trying to type this up while my cat is demanding fuss so apologies .... He is very determined
Anyway the book this was the sequel to the book of dead days which I must admit I picked up purely on the intriguing title and which I really enjoyed. Now with book two (and the final volume) I wanted to see what happened to Boy and Willow and I was not disappointed. Now is some sequels you sort of can see where things are going or figure out what will happen to who
Moo
I've NEVER stopped reading a book half way through in my life, but this book............ Was a first. I HAD to stop reading it. I read multiple books at a time and when reading it and Shiver, well, it's over shadowed and I've stopped reading it. perhaps I bought a book to young for me. I don't know, I just didn't enjoy it.
Carlyn Brody
The Dark Flight Down is the sequel to The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick. The first book was about a young boy named Boy who worked for a magician named Valerian. Years ago, Valerian made a pact with evil for a wish in exchange for his soul. Valerian and boy go on an adventure to find a magical book which has the answer to any problems so that Valerian can cheat death. The Dark Flight Down continues days after the on ending of The book of Dead Days.

Boy has survived his adventures in The B
Alex Ronk
Llevaba años entre los libros que aún no leí, principalmente porque me decía cada que lo veía que debía de conseguir el primero para así poder entenderle mejor; pero la verdad es que no hecho el intento de buscarlo, así que decidí que era tiempo de leerlo y si no le entendía pues no sería el fin del mundo.

Le entendí un poco, la historia se me hacía confusa por momentos porque hablaban de cosas que pasaron anteriormente y por eso me perdía en ocasiones, sin embargo, seguí leyendo, me dije que no
Hollowspine
Justin
I definitely enjoyed this (the second book) more than The Dead Days. Although the writing style seemed more directed towards a younger audience, I still found the book to be quite interesting. Unlike the firs book, I was actually curious as to what was going to happen next. I think that most of my interest in the book came from the fact that there were a lot of unanswered questions in the first book which were thankfully all addressed in "The Dark Flight Down". Like the first book i found the en ...more
un Jard   jade
Jul 13, 2007 un Jard jade rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marcus sedgwick Lovers and gothic tale readers
this is my all thime faveourite book out of all of the Marcus sedgwick (apart from witchhill, i haven't read it yet)i like the way it started with Valerian being Dead and and boy staying kelper i thought that was a bit strange i dont know why nut i thought he was just using boy for a bit and i ended up being right.
my faveourite part was the ending with the singing !!!
to be honest i did'nt really find the part interesting when we (the readers) found out how the the beast was boys brother making h
Deborah
Marqus Sedgwick's "The Dark Flight Down," continues the story of Boy and his friend Willow and a new journey with the scientist Kepler. Boy runs an errand for Kepler and ends up incarcerated in the dungeon of the Emperor Frederick's palace. In this thrilling conclusion to the story of Boy there are many thrills and mysteries to be solved as the gruesome Phantom attacks and Maxim, who serves as the Emperor's closest advisor, tries to use Boy to find the Book to use to serve his own purposes. A gr ...more
Rachel
Nov 21, 2007 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes easy-to-read fantasy
This is the sequel to The Book of Dead Days, and it was just as good as the first one, if not somewhat more satisfying. It's not heavy or deep, but it's an enjoyable and quick read if you're looking for something to be absorbed by for a day or so. It did seem a little bit bare-bones in its detail, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I probably just noticed it because I haven't been reading a lot of youth fiction lately (other than Harry Potter, which, as we all know, isn't really bare-bo ...more
Sally
This is the sequal to the Book of Dead days a duology, set right after the first one ends.

Although the same story and characters I feel that this one has more of a creepy element to it which I just simply love,especially as im mainly reading it during the evenings in October. Too creepy to read in bed at night time :(

I like Sedgwicks writing style as it flows easily and I soon find myself lost in the books world. Lovely just how a good book should be.

Not as good at the first one but really enjoy
Eleanor
Jan 16, 2008 Eleanor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens who like fantasy!
This book is the sequel to The Book of Dead Days. It continues the story of Boy, who is still trying to gigure out who he is. He gets taken to the Imperial Palace and becomes a part of everything, at the same time the crazy emperor is trying to become immortal. This book is really exciting because it has a lot of suspense and plot twists. The only thing I didnt like about the book is the ending. Boy finds out who is and much much more! If your going to read then I recommend reading the Book of D ...more
Whitepixels
The sequel to Book of Dead Days, an equally sinister, atmospheric, and fascinating story taking place in a world of gloom, madness, and dark magic. It is quite similar to the first book, following the adventures of the two teenage protagonists. They slowly fall in love with each other, but later get separated and must fight against impossible odds to escape from their enemies and to finally leave the city. A great book, and a fitting conclusion to the duology.
Jeanne
It was a worthy sequel to The Book of Dead Days, but the last bits of the Boy/Willow storyline and the conclusion to the question who Boy's father is disappointed me.
Still, it's a great read, especially if you liked The Book of Dead Days.
Angie
at first this seems to be another version of "powerful male victorian genius misanthrope domineers young street urchin for his own nefarious ends". and it is for a bit, but deviates from that motif more as the story continues. lovely descriptions, you can almost feel the snow settling over the city (despite the fact that it's summer in my worlod right now). And Boy's character develops even more in this book.
Dan
Mar 08, 2008 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A turely horrifying story. It is about a boy named Boy yet, after his adventures with his old master Valerian, after he tried to kill him and all, Boy lives in search of his past, his real name and such. Yet once he's captured by the emporer's right hand man Maxim, things starts to unfold and secrets are revealed, including the secret about the blood thristy killer, Phantom.
Wendy
Very similar to the first one. A bit more frustrating as the children continued to acquiese to every adult they came across, whether that adult had authority over them or not. I could understand it in the first book, as the adult was a mean, physically abusive man but not in this second book. A couple of mild profanities.
Shannon
I got about a chapter in and gave up on this book. It just simply wasn't my thing.
Matthew
Very gripping, it was very hard to put down once I started it. The characters were very real, and the Emperor in particular I liked as he is so gullible and naive, and funny at times. Maxim made a very good evil right hand man to the Emperor, and the relationship between Boy and Willow was moving as well...
Susan
Didn't realize that it was a sequel to the "Book of Dead Days" which I had read - so I was glad to follow up on the characters. Love listening to Graeme Malcolm read it. The revelation of the true identity of the grisly Phantom didn't quite work for me - takes quite a stretch of imagination.
Hollie
Loved it! I raced through this and it was exciting and fast-paced. I loved this duology, it was simple, but with well thought out characters and plot. It was short, which I really enjoy. It was just a really great story and I thoroughly enjoyed!
Elizabeth
I like this one a little better than the first book. This time Boy is captured by the Emperor's servants and taken to the palace. The Emperor wants to be immortal and they hope that the magicians belongings will tell them how he can be made so.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
well, it wasn't NEARLY as depressing as book one. But it is a mass of odd quick plot twists that actually resemble falling down a flight of stairs. I am not sure about the parting shot of the tale though, which i refuse to spoil here.
Michaela
Pokračovanie Knihy mŕtvych dní - Kým zídete do temnoty nadväzuje na priame udalosti, ktoré prežíval Chlapec s Rakytou. Nie je to až také temné, ako ukazuje názov, ale je to celkom napínavé a povedala by som, že vhodné pre deti.
Sally
Again with the wonderfully sinister atmosphere. Yum. Sequel to The Book of Dead Days and every bit as awesome!
Livia Ellis
Very disappointing. Weak plot, poor character development, GMC needed improving... So disappointed. I'd hoped the sequel to The Book of Dead Days would redeem that book, but sadly no. It was just bland and poorly written.
Elizabeth
Even as a teenager with questionable critical reasoning skills, I was able to identify the convenient plot points of this sequel to The Book of Dead Days, but its gothic, dark, Halloween-esque tone was enough to keep me reading.
Stefan
The sequel that is leading us deep into the dark chambers of unknown where we find-out the thruth about The Boy and his origin...and the truth about Vallerian's ''contract''
Wiebke (1book1review)
A disappointing conclusion to The Book of Dead Days. The atmosphere is less dark, the story predictable and slow. And there are too many repitions. Sad. I expected more.
  • Ring of Fire (Century, #1)
  • Tiger Moon
  • Basilisk
  • The Riddles of Epsilon
  • Mortlock
  • Cobwebs
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • Hex Witch of Seldom
  • American Savage
  • Restoration (The World House #2)
  • The Magic Mirror of the Mermaid Queen (Changeling, #2)
  • The Door in the Tree (The Magician's House Quartet, #2)
  • Breathing Underwater
  • Days of Little Texas
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • Rapacia: The Second Circle of Heck
  • Magic's Child (Magic or Madness, #3)
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
Marcus Sedgwick was born in Kent, England. Marcus is a British author and illustrator as well as a musician. He is the author of several books, including Witch Hill and The Book of Dead Days, both of which were nominated for the Edgar Allan Poe Award. The most recent of these nominations rekindled a fascination with Poe that has borne fruit here in (in The Restless Dead, 2007) the form of "The Hea ...more
More about Marcus Sedgwick...
Midwinterblood Revolver The Book of Dead Days (Book of Dead Days, #1) She Is Not Invisible My Swordhand is Singing (My Swordhand is Singing, #1)

“It was like a new kind of vision, seeing with eyes as keen as scalpel blades, that cut away desires and emotions and wishful thinking and left only what was fact.” 4 likes