Start by marking “Thinking Like a Mountain: Towards a Council of All Beings” as Want to Read:
Thinking Like a Mountain: Towards a Council of All Beings

Thinking Like a Mountain: Towards a Council of All Beings

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Thinking Like a Mountain This book of readings, meditations, rituals and workshop notes prepared on three continents provides a context for ritual identification with the natural environment. Full description
Published March 1st 2007 by New Catalyst Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Like a Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Like a Mountain

Philippa
A poetic evocation of all creatures of the earth. Through prose and poetry, the 10 or so writers invite us to connect deeply with the earth and with all life, in order to restore the imbalance that we humans have created in the world.
The Council of All Beings (of the subtitle) is something I first heard of when reading Starhawk (The Fifth Sacred Thing, I think), and it sounds like a very powerful ritual.
After reading this you can never think of yourself as separate from nature. It shows how anth
Mark
Meant as a guide to leading a Council of All Beings, this book was useful to me as a way to imagine one, to understand a bit more about the idea.
Brian
Some of the pieces in this collection were thought-provoking. Some of them, especially the ritualistic, may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Joshua
Jun 20, 2009 Joshua added it
Shelves: hippie, summer09
"Threat of extinction is the potter's hand that molds all forms of life."--p.38

I thought I would enjoy this book more, but it sort of fell flat. I really can't see myself responding to the type of ritual development that this book proposes.
Naomi
Oct 22, 2011 Naomi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Not what I expected, but a useful, insightful book nonetheless. Should one plan to conduct such a retreat, however, this would be a five-star book. I had just hoped for more ecological essays, especially less familiar ones.
Eden
I thought this book sounded really interesting and my type of book. But I really couldn't get into it and didn't really enjoy it.
linda
WoW - I love this book!
Sasha
Naess' essay is very good.
Shiau Liou
Shiau Liou marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Sander
Sander marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Beth Meberg
Beth Meberg marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Nathan Abels
Nathan Abels marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jeff Lilly
Jeff Lilly marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Priya
Priya marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Patrick Lunt
Patrick Lunt marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Marx: A Guide for the Perplexed Ten Rather Eccentric Essays on Art: Reflections on Damien Hirst, postmodernism, the art market, food in art and more... New and Collected Poems That Barrikins: Pictures from Mayhew II Pictures from Mayhew. London 1850.