Start by marking “The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)

The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,525 ratings  ·  81 reviews
They vow to love, honor, cherish...

With her signature spirit, Faith Merridew has left everything she's ever known for the man she thought was the love of her life. Instead he leaves her name—and dreams—in the dust. That is, until she crosses paths with Nicholas Blacklock, a Waterloo veteran, who offers to save her reputation with a marriage of convenience.

...And then get t
Published June 6th 2006 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Stranger

Mei
While I enjoyed it, it wasn't as god as the previous ones...

Don't misunderstand me, it was still a nice story, but I started being bored with the old trope: I know what's better for you

Here we have Feith's story.

The first part of her story was missing and we get just glimpses of what hapened and how she was deceived. Personally I would have liked to know something more... maybe a bit of that part of her life in the prologue...

However, Faith has run away, was robbed and now she's all alone in a s
Jacqueline
I enjoy this author's work. The story felt fresh and was a road trip story which is a plot line I like. Kudos to the author for having a "ruined" heroine who was actually ruined. I also enjoyed that their marriage was consummated early in the story as I like stories where a couple in a convenient marriage do have sex and the story is about other elements. I think that is more realistic than having married couples not having sex for months because of some weird pact or something. One of the thing ...more
Rane
Book 3 of the The Merridew Sisters while the first two dealt with witty humor and lightheartness, this was much darker in tone.

With Faith dealing with heartbreak and betrayal, she starts to come out of her shy and shelter shell when she meets Nicholas who is fighting his own demons from a war torn past.

I really enjoyed this book more then the Perfect Waltz, perhaps due to it’s darker but more real tone of what a solider must deal with after the war is over. Nick at times I wanted to hug him
Ilze
Different but delightful Regency period romance - a road story with English main characters, but none of it actually takes place in England or in any typical high-society English Regency surroundings (most of it takes place on Atlantic beaches and the road between Calais in northern France and Bilbao in northern Spain, and the climax of the story is in a gypsy's cave just outside Vittoria in Spain). The heroine Faith was wonderful and her steps to growing up and taking responsibility for herself ...more
Katie
I didn't like this one that much, but also I liked it okay. I put it down several times and when I picked it back up, I half-heartedly considered not finishing it, but I do want to finish this series. And I like Gracie's writing, so that got me back into the book soon enough.

I like her characters a lot, but it often feels like a surface likability. And, actually, I DIDN'T always like the rather controlling love interest. He pretty much orders her to marry him and, as much as that was to her bene
kris
3.5 stars. 4 if it wasn't so blasted early. (Everything is a half-star less great at this hour.)

Faith eloped with what she thought was a Hungarian violinist because she had a dream that her True Love would make beautiful music. (Literal music; not sexy-time body-music.) Nick is the war veteran who saves her from bad drunken fisherman after she finally makes her escape from the con-artist life-ruiner (HE'S NOT EVEN HUNGARIAN!!). He proposes marriage as a solution to keep her from Absolute Ruin an
Gail
I bought nine (9) books the day I bought this one. Didn’t intend to get so many, but WalMart had so many of the ones I wanted/needed. Anyway, in this one, the heroine has run away from the man she ran away from England with. He turned out to be a liar and bounder and all those other bad things. And now she’s stumbled across the camp of a man who protects her from the men who want to take advantage of a woman traveling alone. He decides the only thing to do about her predicament is to marry her h ...more
Heather
Can I just say...I loved it. Faith and Nicholas were wonderful together. Faith's on the run from a phony marriage, and Nicholas is running from himself, and when they meet they see something in each other that neither expected, and Nicholas doesn't want. You could see their relationship build, both physically and emotionally, and it was a delight to read. The secondary characters were vibrant personalities, and they were so different from each other, but so devoted to Nicholas and then Faith. Th ...more
Atunah
I just love reading Anne Gracie. She just is able to pull so many emotions out of me.
This third installment of the Meridew sisters has some more darker tones, yet it still is charming and witty. And it works.
The heroine manages to be both innocent and warm hearted and also a naughty minx. :)
Hero is honorable, stubborn and hopeless at times. Yet he just can't close up his heart against the heroine. He tries, but its useless :)

I always love the banter in Gracie's novels.

I smiled, I giggled (ap
Elke
Jul 05, 2011 Elke rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tanneke
Recommended to Elke by: Monika
Bookcrazy
Leider der erste Roman von Anne Gracie der mir nicht so besonders gefiel.

Schon der Beginn war nicht so meines. Faith strauchelt hilflos durch die Dünen an der französischen Küste und wird von Männern verfolgt, die sie für ein leichtes Mädchen halten. Da trifft sie auf einen gut aussehenden Fremden, Nicholas, der sie unter seinen Schutz stellt.
Um ihren Ruf wieder herzustellen, (view spoiler)
Ren
Originally reviewed on Words in a teacup

(TW: contains mentions of rape and terminal illness.) Urgh, this book. It's not as bad as its predecessor, but not nearly as good as the first one either. It's like Anne Gracie is taunting me with one single delightful book followed by a slew of trope-ridden mediocrity. This time the sister getting hitched is Faith; in the last book it was mentioned offhand that she had a crush on a certain disreputable Hungarian violinist, and that this was a Bad Idea, so
Kate Forsyth
I've really enjoyed this series from Anne Gracie - a lovely mix of romance, humour, pathos and adventure. I thinks he may be my favourite romance novelist since Georgette Heyer and that is high praise indeed.
Paranormal Romance
Fleeing from the man she thought to be her husband but turns out to be a lying adulterer, the heroine is set upon by thugs in the French countryside. There, she meets the hero. A dying war vet who suffers from sever a crippling migraines that leave him in extremely pain for hours. He saves her and once discovering she is homeless, penniless and without protection demands that she marry him. She's of course stand offish at first as she has had her fill of lying men but the hero is so gentle and k ...more
Chumchum_88
Now with the 3rd book of The Merridew Sisters series by Anne Gracie I've literally became a sobbing mess. As usual Anne Gracie brought us yet another enchanting, humorous, and heart grasping historical romance.

I have to tell you that Faith really changed, she even described herself to Nicholas as the shy twin, and she proved it with the previous books, but with this one, she showed us her determination to change and prove herself. Usually in some books u find that half way the book a character's
Tonileg
I bought the book thinking this was a historical western romance because of the pistol on the cover... no, couldn't be more wrong. This is a historical English type romance that mostly occurs on French soil, near the Atlantic coast.
There is little mentioned about France or French culture, there is only a few phrases, but everything was accurate which I approve of as a part-time resident expat in France. There is nothing that irks me more then fake French in romance novels. Please, romance write
Clare
Faith Merridew has wised up to the fact that her dream had turned into a nightmare. Eloping with her musically inclined Count to France, she soon discovers that Felix is really a belgian peasant who has betrayed her and intends to keep her as his mistress. Fleeing that very fate, she finds herself lost in a foreign country without money and with no one willing to help a seemingly destitute young miss. One night, things take a turn for the worse and this is where our story starts, with her escapi ...more
Cruth
"Turn down no opportunity for joy, however small."

Plot:
Faith took a leap and eloped with her Hungarian Violinist - only to find it was a major FAIL. Left with nothing, trying to make it back to her family, she falls in with Nicholas Blacklock and his friends. Marriage and a journey across France to Bilbao, Spain, a time of "love and laughter and sunshine and happiness". At the end of their road Nicholas has a task to fulfil which may bring a halt to any HEA. Can Faith help him?

Comments:
- Histori
Thenia
Heartrending and yet immensely sweet, Faith's story is quite different from those of her sisters.

Faith finds herself alone and desperate in a foreign country with no way to contact her family and no help coming to her. Fortunately for her she meets an unlikely savior when she most needs him and an unexpected solution to her problems.

Nicholas is in a depressing situation and resigned to his fate. Meeting Faith is a complication he hasn't imagined and his selfless attempt to help her backfires whe
Cherise
Cherie
My second time through this book as I'm re-reading the series. Faith's story is a bit different in that she meets the love of her life after eloping with a man she thought was her true love. The marriage turned out to be a sham, both because a false priest married them but also because he was already married with five children. Don't worry, he gets his just rewards in the epilogue.

Faith is running from men who intend to rape her when she comes upon Nicholas. Nicholas fights the three men and the
Nicol Althea

I find this third installment of the Merridew Sisters better than the second one. Although the broken hero Mr. Rayne and his poor sisters in Perfect Waltz appealed to me, Sebastian and Hope's story didn't quite move me as much as i wanted. This book however, kept me interested from beginning till end. From the usual England setting like the previous installments, Anne Gracie brought us out of England to the roads of Paris and Spain. Nicholas and Faith's attraction grew and bloomed on the road, o
steph
I just realized that even though I own all four of these books and have read them multiple times over the last eight years, I hadn't reviewed them on here yet (WEIRD!). So that tells me I need to do a re-read soon. Because all I remember from this book is that I didn't LOVE it and parts were a bit boring between Faith and Nick (he lied to her at one point, yes?). I'll do a re-read in a few months and write a more detailed review then.
Karen
This is a journey of empowerment.

Faith flees from a con artist, shunned as a hussy, then after escaping would be rapists marries a stranger. She trys hard to learns skills to be a good soldier's wife & her determination to do it is both admirable & numerous.

Faith's defiance, blushes and acceptance of living in the moment make it a delightful addition on the journey with the Merridew sisters.

Hillary
This is the first historical romance I've read and it's beautiful! My friend actually lent it to me and I was really amazed as to how I love the plot so much.

Talk about a very beautiful stranger who saves Faith in times of her troubles!
Good plot, amzing characters and just beautifully written. No matter how many times I've read this book it still gives me that smile I want for my books.
Ewa
This whole series is cursed by the first book The Perfect Rake. I guess nothing can live up to it. Witty dialogues and cool heroine are what I was looking for, but sadly it was lacking in this story. As in The Perfect Waltz author is trying to channel Giddeon and Prudence personalities through secondary characters but it's not enough for me.

The whole story felt rushed. The proposal, resolving heroine's trauma over former lover's betrayal and finally H/h's falling in love.

And at the end of the
Sadaco
I enjoyed this book more than the 2nd but not as much as the 1st. I loved the reluctant romance between Faith and Nicholas plus the colorful supporting characters added nicely to the mix. Looking forward to reading the last book of the series!
Jess the Romanceaholic
I admit it threw me off that they consummated their marriage so early in the book -- most of the Anne Gracie novels I've read usually have more UST than that and wait until close to the end to consummate it. There's nothing wrong with this -- like I said it just threw me off a bit. In this story, it definitely fit, and while there were a few PG-13 or possibly R-rated moments, most of the smexin was implied or fade-to-black, so at least it didn't get bogged down with the smut.

I wanted to shake my
Marlene
This story about Faith Merridew and Nicholas Blacklock was just OK for me. The part about traveling through France and Spain was kinda ong; and I longed for the action to get back to the England. I wanted to learn more of an update of the Merridew girls; like were there any other children; and if Faith was increasing.
suzi
Very sad premise for this book. Especially, when it happened to Faith, the shy sister. But the situation is too fantastic for my taste with a little bit of the supernatural thrown in. Can be skipped.
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • In For a Penny
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • My Darling Caroline
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Lord Carew's Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #4)
  • Untouched
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall #4)
  • The Summer of You (The Blue Raven #2)
  • To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • Lord Ruin
I've always loved stories. Family legend has it that I used to spend hours playing in the sand pit, with a dog on either side of me and Rocka the horse leaning over me, his head just touching my shoulder, while I told them stories. I have to say, dogs and horses are great audiences, apart from their tendency to drool occasionally. But people are even nicer.

In case you imagine we were a filthy rich
More about Anne Gracie...

The Merridew Sisters (4 books)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2)
  • The Perfect Kiss (The Merridew Sisters, #4)
The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1) The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2) The Perfect Kiss (The Merridew Sisters, #4) The Autumn Bride (Chance Sisters, #1) Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)