The Shadow Wife

The Shadow Wife

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,668 ratings  ·  299 reviews
Joelle D'Angelo's best friend, Mara, is left with brain damage after she suffers an aneurysm giving birth to her son. Alone and grieving, Joelle turns to the only other person who understands her pain: her colleague—and Mara's husband—Liam. What starts out as comfort between friends gradually becomes something more…something undeniable.

Torn by guilt and the impossibility o

Published November 23rd 2010 by Mira (first published January 1st 2002)

Megan Tiscareno
I absolutely love the way that Diane Chamberlain often presents things that most people would be horrified or disgusted by (infidelity, murder, other illegal activities) and makes the characters so darn likeable that you can't help but not care about whatever bad decisions they make and fall in love with the story and understand them.

And this speaks true for Cypress Point. The novel was so beautifully told and intrinsically heartwarming that I could not put it down and even woke up much too ear...more
Jo
A really different story than I expected. The sadness permeating the story was really strong. There were times I really wanted the characters to have some fun light moments. Overall a story with depth. Enjoyable. As usual, Chamberlain writes well and offers a great read.
Dem
I thought I lost this book today while I was at my dentist appointment and when I got home I realised it was not in my bag and I was sooooooooo happy........ yeah this is great! can start reading something I really want to read now as have been reading this novel for over a week and it is only 378 pages long, but the book turned up much to my dismay and I just had to finish it for once and for all.

Ok so obviously this was not the book for me and its time I leaned to stick with what I like. I rea...more
Camilla Whitright
I always like her books. I've read they call the author the Jodi Picoult of the South, but I don't agree. She is very readable and very much her own author.
Lisa
This was a really heartwarming and intriging book. Interesting concept with real life characters
Maggie61
I am reading more and more books by this author, many of which I had already owned and have been scattered in differnt places in my house. While I didn`t enjoy this one as much as `Midwife`s confession`that I had just previously read, I did still enjoy it.
Diane Chamberlain`s books are packed with emotion and bring the reader into that. There`s often deception, secrets, and stories behind the original storyline. I found myself liking the main characters and while I am not always fond of the jumpi...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
I'm saving my review for this novel after I've completed The Shadow Wife. It is such a deeply moving story that I can't get my throughts around all of it. Read it a month ago and then won a signed copy of the republished story. Now I'm diggin into the new version and will write my complete review under that title. Will post my reivew after I've read it again...maybe even again...this is that beautiful of a story! There are so many different and important messages in it! I would recommend it to e...more
Ruth
We discovered this author when we went into a bookstore in the Outer Banks. We were interested because the book that we picked up too place in the Outer Banks. Later, I happened to find two more of her books (hardcover) at Sam's Club and they were both only $4.38! The one I read was good so I figured I would buy these. My daughter borrowed and read this one and really enjoyed it so I think I will read this one next!

I have now completed this book and enjoyed it. The story held some surprises for...more
Kathryn
another great book by this author. I'm never disappointed by her books ever. there is always a bit of mystery to them, and an unexpected ending.

Cypress Point by Diane Chamberlain. Another great book by this author. I'm not sure how many others I've read in the past, but I always have such a great feeling after reading one of her books. The mystery to them, with out being a 'whodunit' I really like. I'm not fond of mysteries, but I do enjoy her style of writing.
Heidi
These books have become my guilty pleasure. They are just fun to read. This story was lovely, with a great twist at the end that I didn't see coming!
Teresa
Once again i have loved a Diane Chamberlain book!! I have yet to read one that i didnt like.
Denise
Aug 06, 2008 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diane Chamberlain and other fiction fans
Recommended to Denise by: Diane Chamberlain fans
Another terrific novel by Diane Chamberlain!
Denise
3.0 out of 5 stars - "Healing comes in many forms"

This novel explores the complex relationships of family, friends and lovers in a drama centered on a brain damaged woman's husband and best friend. While they are caring for their beloved mentally unaware Mara, Joelle and Liam find themselves in a familiar predicament.

There is another plot line going on that involves twins, one of whom has a gift for healing, and the narrative moves back and forth in point of view and time.

I have been a die hard...more
TamElaine

I'm hiding this as a spoiler, not because I'm revealing anything from the plot, but because the knowledge of what I'm going to say could spoil the EXPERIENCE for you....so let me first say that I would definitely recommend this book - and if you wish to read more, or if you've already read the book, here you go: (view spoiler)...more
Lisa
This is the 3rd book by this author that I've read and I really enjoy how they are all similar but different.

They all seem to take place around a choice that was made that most people would disagree with on the surface but may come to change their mind and/or understand how difficult the decision was but how any other choice seemed impossible.

On the other hand, each book is presented differently. In the first book that I read (The Midwife's Confession), you know that there is a secret but you...more
Judy Collins
I am a huge fan of Diane Chamberlain as trying to get to all her older books. Loved this book, as Diane has a way of bringing a number of different stories into her novels, connecting characters, and moving back and forth seamlessly between generations and times, filling in the blanks, and always some exciting twists and turns, making it difficult to put it down. I loved the setting, the characters, and the way she tied similar circumstances between (Joelle/Liam/Mara) and (Lisbeth/Gabriel/Carlyn...more
Barbara Elsborg
Not for me. I have a feeling I'd like other books by this author but this was just okay. I liked the theme of the brain damaged wife, the dutiful friend and husband but I wasn't keen on the healing bit and felt very short changed by the way the ending - supposed twist - was introduced. I don't want to spoil it but why on earth would she agree to that?? For money for something that depended on the person who was no longer there? No - it didn't work for me. I didn't get emotionally invested in the...more
Jodi
Joelle's best friend is in permanent care due to a brain aneurysm during labor. Joelle is now pregnant by the husband of her best friend. Believing that what is best for everyone is have Mara healed, she contacts a well known healer, the woman who brought Joelle back to life. Carlynn agrees to help heal Mara knowing full well that Mara isn't the one in need of healing. What made this novel so interesting is that it was so much more than about mystical healing. It covered race relations, twin rel...more
Cheryl
Another good Diane Chamberlain book originally titled Cypress Point, The Shadow Wife is a re-release. This story about the moral dilemmas surrounding one's commitment to a brilliant woman who is now essentially brain dead due to a brain aneurysm is still well done. Her best friend and her husband must soldier on with their lives, and through sharing so much, eventually fall in love. Add a beautiful young toddler to the mix and then an impending birth due to a one-night stand, and you already hav...more
Debbie
This book was a quick read (less than 2 days) and what I enjoyed the most were all the locations in the story. I have visited the area many times and the place names and descriptions were so familiar I could clearly picture where this was happening. That part was absolutely great. The story itself was good, but not much left to the imagination. I was hoping near the middle-to-end that I would be wrong and there would be some surprising twist, but there was not.
Gayle
I have now read 3 books by Diane Chamberlain and have enjoyed each one tremendously although the subject matter is never light. They all seem to focus on relationships and how even those that may seem conventional will be put to the test. Diane Chamberlain is compared with Jodi Picoult but in my opinion she is better since she is not trying to shock the reader but rather present that life gives us many challenges. Definitely recommend this author!
Martha☀
Who reads this kind of crap? At least I know who writes it so I never have to waste my reading time again.
The prologue describes, in all its gruesome glory, a messy hippy home birthing scene which results in the death of the child and the brain damage in the mother. But, miraculously, a women walks in from the mist and blows air onto the child's face, reviving it back to life. (nothing is done for the mother, btw)
(Ready for more?)
Chapter one takes place some 30 years later and the first scene de...more
Terri
I love Diane Chamberlain's books. I often read a few and then forget about her. I recently found 3 of her stories that I haven't read. This is one of them. Two very close female friends have gone through everything together, including Joelle finding the perfect man for Mara. Joelle just happens to work with the man who does marry Mara. All of them spend a lot of time together. When Mara becomes pregnant, something unsuspected but devastating occurs. Mara can not take care of her child so her hus...more
Umm... I'm not really sure what I think yet. I very much liked and cared about all of the characters. I had an easy time reading it quickly. But I'm not really ok with the surprise. I'll have to think about it before I decide whether it was acceptable to me or not. I mean, it's not like it was a Jodi Picoult kind of twist or anything. But maybe it didn't need to happen.
Licia
Emily
I enjoyed this book! I think it was her style of writing and how there were several interesting stories at once with a neat ending! I will def. look into her other books!
Holly
Great book! I have The Secret Life of Cee Wilkes also by Diane Chamberlain on my books to read next list. Hope it is a page turner like this one was!
Hallena
A beautiful story written in very simple manner. Easy read and had me in tears on few accounts. Love the sucker punch too
Amy
My new favorite author. Really good book, not as good as her Cee-Cee Wilkes one but still a great read.
Erin
Although I predicted the ending almost immediately, I still found this a really good story.
  • A Sister's Gift
  • One Week In December
  • Cuckoo
  • Her Sister's Shadow
  • Undressing the Moon
  • All That is Beautiful (Arrington, #2)
I'm the author of 23 novels published in more than twenty languages. I like to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and sisters, and friends. Although the thematic focus of my books often revolves around family, love, compassion and forgiveness, my stories usually feature a combination of suspense, mystery and intrigue.

I live in North Car...more
More about Diane Chamberlain...
The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes The Midwife's Confession Necessary Lies The Good Father Before the Storm (Before the Storm, #1)