Start by marking “Breverton's Nautical Curiosities” as Want to Read:
Breverton's Nautical Curiosities

Breverton's Nautical Curiosities

Breverton's Nautical Curiosities A compendium of fascinating information about the great waters that cover two-thirds of our Earth and the men and women that sailed them. Full description
Published June 1st 2010 by Quercus Books

To ask other readers questions about Breverton's Nautical Curiosities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breverton's Nautical Curiosities

Aliya Whiteley
May 07, 2014 Aliya Whiteley rated it really liked it
A very interesting collection of facts. My only problem now is that I can't remember any but a few of them. I'll never use the expression 'sweet Fanny Adams' again though.

A gentle swell of reminiscence turned into a tsunami of information regarding how we've destroyed the oceans and we're all doomed, so it's definitely a book of two halves. Reading it from start to finish was quite overwhelming, but ultimately fascinating.
Nov 25, 2014 Gianni rated it really liked it
What is the origin of the distress call Mayday"? How did the cod change the world? Where was history's most devastating wave? How did the War of Jenkin's Ear start? Who was the bloodiest pirate ever to have sailed? Where would you find the poop deck?
Apr 20, 2016 TheGreenBookDragon rated it it was amazing
For anyone and everyone who loves random facts about our past and present high seas!
Apr 21, 2013 Elle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A very interesting book which really spiked my interest in certain stages of maritime History. It's broken into a load of very detailed sections with a comprehensive glossary which is very important in this type of book. I did like the beginning much better than the end, as it went into marine biology territory and I wasn't really keen on learning about that. This book in general was concise, information and gave interesting facts in academic-lite paragraphs but like so many books wrote for the ...more
Mar 09, 2013 Doreen rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This book is excellent and had a lot of interesting information about the sea, ships, sea creatures, historical figures, sea battles, famous and infamous pirates and just about anything you can imagine concerning the sea and sailing.

I couldn't *read* it cover to cover, though. I skimmed through and read the entries that were most interesting to me (and there were many). It *will* be a good book for me to have on hand for reference, however.

I would recommend this to anyone who has an interest i
Wayne Farmer
Everything you could possibly want to know about the Sea and life on the ocean waves throughout history. A brilliant book to delve into every now and again and full of interesting facts.
Jan 27, 2011 Libby rated it it was amazing
A gem of a book for those who love the sea. Packed full of useful seafaring terms and their origins as well as facts about the ocean. I loved this little book to bits.
Nov 06, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok
Far too repetitive on the environmental theme; anyone who was willing to read through the entire book has seen the same arguments and statistics at least ten times.
Zombaby Cera
Nov 12, 2013 Zombaby Cera rated it really liked it
Very interesting glossary of sorts. My favorite part was the index of vocabulary and slang. Also the culinary chapter was amusing and unexpectedly humorous!
Jack Alexander
Sep 19, 2011 Jack Alexander rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Full of great information. Did you know that pirate did not make people walk the plank?
Rose marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2016
Nicola marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Grace Tierney
Grace Tierney is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2016
Nessa Beresford
Nessa Beresford marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Zeynep Merve
Zeynep Merve marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Julia marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Deniz marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Cait marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Hakan Yildirim
Hakan Yildirim marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
L is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2016
Ayla marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Nicky is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
Ece Sengul
Ece Sengul marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Hanna Ann
Hanna Ann rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Celia marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Alan O'Boyle
Alan O'Boyle rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
tanzy pan
tanzy pan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • How to be an Illustrator
  • Orpheus: The Song of Life
  • The Very Bloody History of Britain (Without the Boring Bits!)
  • The Quest for Arthur's Britain
  • Dark Knights and Dingy Castles (Horrible Histories Special)
  • Syd Barrett: A Very Irregular Head
  • Discoveries: Frida Kahlo, Painting Her Own Reality
  • My East End: Memories of Life in Cockney London
  • Al Capone and His Gang
  • The Magna Carta Manifesto: Liberties and Commons for All
  • Oulipo Compendium
  • Spilling the Beans on the Cat's Pajamas: Popular Expressions-What They Mean and How We Got Them
  • London Lore: The Legends and Traditions of the World's Most Vibrant City
  • Witches, a tale of Scandal, Sorcery and Seduction
  • The House by the Thames, and the People Who Lived There
  • The Invisibles: Vintage Portraits of Love and Pride
  • Kind Regards: The Lost Art of Letter-Writing
  • The People: The Rise and Fall of the Working Class, 1910-2010

“DOWN A PEG (OR TWO) Humbled. An admiral flew his personal standard at the highest point of the mast, attached by rope to one of a series of pegs at its base. If a more senior admiral came aboard, the original standard would be taken down a peg or two to make room for the new flag. DRESSING” 0 likes
“POSH Before air-conditioning, cabins on the side of ocean liners facing the sun became unbearably hot. Thus richer passengers paid a premium to have their tickets on the P&O Line from England to India stamped “Port Out—Starboard Home.” So p.o.s.h. became a synonym for someone who was upper class. PULL” 0 likes