Start by marking “Golden Gate Gardening: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area and Coastal California” as Want to Read:

The bible of vegetable gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area has been revised and updated! Packed with more than 400 pages of reliable information, Golden Gate Gardenin offers encyclopedic coverage of gardening principles and practices specific to the Bay Area and the Northern California coast. Author Pam Peirce explains strategies for growing common favorite vegetables ...more
ebook, Third Edition, 448 pages
Published March 9th 2010 by Sasquatch Books (first published December 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Gate Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Gate Gardening

Haley
Jun 09, 2015 Haley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I'm marking this as 'read' and adding it to my reference shelf because it's not really the type of thing you read cover to cover. I recently moved to the Outer Sunset neighborhood in SF (about 10 blocks from the beach along the N line) to an apartment with an overgrown garden, and this has really been invaluable in planning and reclaiming that space. It really is a must read for anyone with foggy summers, sandy soil, and salty air.

I mean, without this book, I would have tried to grow tomatoes a
Caitlin
Better (more readable, more pertinent) than The Garden Primer, although still a little listy in areas. I purchased it on my kindle when I wasn't making progress fast enough for the library copy, but it was definitely harder to read in e-book format as there are lots of insets and asides. Sometimes Ms. Peirce waxes a little preachy, but for the most part I enjoyed it and will use it as a reference.
Brenda
Jun 29, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
I don't know if I can ever take this book off the "currently reading" shelf. Much like your favorite cookbook, Golden Gate Gardening is something you go back to time after time. It has been a constant reference for me since I began gardening. Pam Pierce fills this book with localized knowledge, mostly to do with edibles. If you live in the Bay Area (especially the fogbelt) and would like to garden year round this is really an invaluable reference.
Marcus K
Jan 22, 2008 Marcus K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bay area gardeners
Recommended to Marcus by: wheels
If you live in the Bay Area you must own this book. Info on how plants do in the fog, micro-climate specific planting info, stuff on fruit trees, and lots and lots of write ups on all sorts of plants. I keep the sunset western around as a sort of encyclopedia, but this is the one I turn to when its time to go play in the dirt.
Danielle
Jan 13, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
I will never be done reading this book. It has the best charts for figuring out when to plant what in which areas of the SF Bay region. The information on weeds and pests is also very helpful. I try to check out her blog on a regular basis to see what's going on with her test gardens and which plants she recommends.
Karen Mahtin
I've never sat down and read this whole book. My dear friend Marcus recommended it to me in like 2000 when I wanted to start a garden, and I've used it as a reference book ever since. The newer (2011?) edition was the textbook for my Organic Gardening and Food Production class at Santa Rosa Jr. College. A key resource for anyone who wants to grow food in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Cadillacrazy
Aug 01, 2009 Cadillacrazy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This should really be called golden gate food gardening, as it only covers edible plants. good resource, but only has black and white illustrations of some plants. Lots of planting charts to help you figure out when to plant.
Aug 28, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening, nature
Great resource for growing veggies in Northern California. I dare call it a bible of sorts. It's packed with good information. The only thing missing is nice color photos. It wasn't a big issue for me. I got the Western Sunset edible gardening book that is full of photos at the same time.
Mark
Jul 25, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature-travel
If you live in the Bay Area, you need a gardening book specific to our own microclimate, NOT a British gardening book, NOT a New England gardening book. This one is full of proper charts for all the plants which are capable of making it in local farms and gardens and I'm glad I ran across it.
Katie
May 23, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding reference for this region; Pam Peirce covers it all. And it looks like I've been reading this book for five years; I'll be reading it as long as I'm living here and it's in print, because it's so packed with information.
Kathleen
Jun 18, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: benicia
Excellent resource and gift book. Includes recipes, one of my all-time favorites is for eating garden snails, which I had not encountered outside of University of California publications. A strong rival and much better in some ways than the Sunset Western Garden book.
Francine
Jun 15, 2008 Francine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read and reference this book at least once a week. A damn fine gardening resource.
Angela
Mar 16, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the go-to book for any Bay Area gardener.
Ellie
A direct corollary to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. :)
Julia
Jan 02, 2009 Julia marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
Christmas gift.
Dr. K Reads
Sep 20, 2011 Dr. K Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bay Area Green Thumbs
Great reference for seasonal planting but lacking in info related to sustainable gardening. Has some good info on small plot and container gardening.
Emil
SF Bay Area Gardener's Best Bud
Denise
Aug 20, 2007 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF wannabe veg growers
Super helpful, though only about vegetables. If you want native plants that don't necessarily produce food, go elsewhere.
Barbara
Mar 09, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and indispensable for the San Francisco Bay Area Gardener. This is the go-to book for gardening.
Jane
Mar 03, 2009 Jane is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
What should I plant?
Rkutler
The best book on edible gardening for the San Francisco Bay Area. This new edition adds new information for non-Fog belt regions.
Romari
Nov 20, 2009 Romari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical and comprehensive planting and care advice for the micro climates that are the SF Bay Are.
Nikki
Oct 24, 2007 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in CA or who likes gardening
Recommended to Nikki by: stanford community farm folks
Didn't read all of this, will probably pick it up now and then to peruse.

I love my garden plot !!

woohoo!!!

happiness is warm dirt, yes it is....
Yilda
Jun 14, 2008 Yilda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this isn't a book I read from front to back, but it is a great gardening tool that I can use forever.
Andrea
Jun 10, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome reference book for gardening in the weird climate that is the Bay area.
Beck
Sep 10, 2009 Beck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always reading and referring to this book. Super helpful.
Leslie Castellanos
If you live in the SF Bay Area and you garden, this is the book to have. It's specific to the area and recognizes our soil, fog and tiny microclimates. It's focused mostly on vegetable gardening.
Eznelak (Jamie)
Will be forever referencing as long as we live in the BA! Has anyone used the 4th ed?
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2007
Micah Bazant
Micah Bazant rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Western Garden Book: More than 8,000 Plants - The Right Plants for Your Climate - Tips from Western Garden Experts
  • Stairway Walks in San Francisco
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping: Home Landscaping with Food-Bearing Plants and Resource-Saving Techniques
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees--W: Western Region
  • The Edible Container Garden: Growing Fresh Food in Small Spaces
  • You Grow Girl
  • Start Spinning
  • Cool Gray City of Love: 49 Views of San Francisco
  • Permaculture in a Nutshell
Pam Peirce is the author of Wildly Successful Plants: Northern California and Golden Gate Gardening. She writes the "Golden Gate Gardener," question and answer column in the San Francisco Chronicle and is the author of the blog GoldenGateGarden.typepad.com.

Pam is a founding board member of the San Francisco League of Urban Gardeners (SLUG) and an honorary advisory board member of SF GRO (San Franc

More about Pam Peirce...