Start by marking “Another Mother's Life” as Want to Read:
Another Mother's Life

Another Mother's Life

Can you ever mend a shattered friendship? From Rowan Coleman, author of the acclaimed bestseller The Accidental Mother, comes a deeply moving novel for every woman who was ever a teenager in love, a mother, or made a heartbreaking decision. For wealthy Alison James, moving with her family to her hometown of Farmington presents more than a case of relocation jitters. Fiftee ...more
Published (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Another Mother's Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Mother's Life

Kiran Jabeen
Okay, the reason I read Rowan COleman's novels is because she keeps everything REAL. I've read The Accidental Mother and now this book and I'm convinced that I'll read anything and everything that has her name attached to it.

I LOVED this book. I hated Marc, I loved Jimmy, I disliked Alison (at first) and I liked Catherine. See? My feelings are diverse because these characters were diverse in every aspect. I loved it! And how can I forget Kirsty? She was adorable (in her own way)! :D

Anyways, the
Ashley
Oct 05, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This was just an okay book. I couldn't put it down because I cannot not finish and book and I just wanted the story to be over already. It was kind of slow and drawn out. The characters were hardly likable. The main character, Alison, was extremely immature, almost unimaginable or realistically immature. The other main character, Cathy, was so flat and boring it was frustrating. It's a bit predictable, but overall it's an alright read. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone unless you've got n ...more
Mary
Apr 30, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it wasn't a page turner it was good. And although the topic of fidelity in relationships is not one I love I thought that this book more accurately portrayed real human relationships than any other book I've read recently. That people aren't either good or bad but a constantly changing and evolving mixture of both. Also I loved the author being able to capture both perspectives of two characters interactions so well. It was real and believable. And in the end I got my happy ending which ...more
Jun 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a slow read for me and I felt like I glossed over some passages. It just didn't hold my interest like her other books. I never really felt connected to the characters. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to like Alison. I loved The Accidental Mother and Mommy by Mistake.
Caz Lopez
Aug 19, 2014 Caz Lopez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about two best friends in school Alison and Catherine. Catherine falls in love with an older guy called marc who turns up one day under a tree where catherine is sitting. Alison is very jealous of catherine and gets her own way and runaways with marc (not mentioning why as it will spoil it) and the girls dont see one another for 15 years.

15 years later alison and catherine both move on and have children of thir own. Alison with her husband and their three children lived in london an
Stephanie
Jul 04, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I enjoyed this book, but sadly not enough to give it 5 stars. It felt like it took me forever to read but in reality it wasn't that long. I never did come around to like Alison's character, though I'm not sure I was supposed to. I really felt for Catherine throughout the entire book, she was just such a sweet woman. I like that we got closure at the end with Catherine but I wish there was a little bit more for Alison.
Niki
Oct 21, 2011 Niki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!! Rowan Coleman is an amazing developer of characters. You just really feel like you know them. Great story of friendship. Makes you think about forgiveness and how sometimes it's necessary even when you don't think you are ready - not because it's the GOOD thing to do, but maybe because the one who hurt you is really the one person you need most in your life.
Audrey Wennink
Dec 08, 2011 Audrey Wennink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the concept for this story was great. I could not put it down. My only complaint was that a few bits of dialogue were unrealistically harsh. But mostly I thought it was a great story and well written.
CK
Dec 03, 2015 CK rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I wouldn't classify it as typical "chick lit" but I suppose it had a few elements of it. I thought the premise was good -something that most people can relate to. Exploring the idea of what kind of life long impact will the choices that we make when we're teenagers have on our life as well as others. You grow up and may wonder whatever happened to so and so, where are they now, what happened to them. This book took you down that path and I thought it was done well. It was ni ...more
Tracy
Feb 26, 2009 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone bored with nothing else to read.
This book was okay, at best. YAWN.
Catherine
This was a decent novel, definitely of the chick lit genre, but with a British accent. It reminded me a bit of a book I read several years ago, "The Reading Group" .

The basic premise is that one friend stole the other's boyfriend when they were 17. Now she's returned to their hometown, married to the boyfriend in question. Neither of the friends' lives have turned out the way they imagined, and the boyfriend stealer becomes convinced that she stole the life her friend was meant to have.

While
Suzanne Kelly
I figure any book I actually finish has to merit at least three stars. This was a very readable book with a few "lessons" for all of us. The best thing was the dialog of Catherine's best friend Kirsty. Very quick witted and funny. Jimmy was given a few good lines, too.
Dianna Shimizu
What if you hurt someone badly, moved away and then moved back nearly 20 years later and ran into them again. How would you handle it? It's an interesting concept and the author handled it well. You grow to care about both main characters.
Sydney
May 01, 2010 Sydney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers, anyone who ever wondered "what if" about a guy
Shelves: chick-lit
June Jones
Jun 12, 2015 June Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow beginning, then I was hooked, loved all the characters, Allison and Catherine, Jimmie was a darling, as were the children, lots of funny moments, would recommend.
Annaeus
Jul 25, 2016 Annaeus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book, I had a good time reading it. It wasn't as brilliant as other Coleman's gems but it was good all the same.
Andreab
This book was just ok. Could have been about 100 pages less. Felt long and drawn out.
Karen
Nov 27, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, story-wise. But, good heavens, the characters were like spoiled middle schoolers. One minute, Alison wants to revive her friendship with Catherine. She regrets how she betrayed Catherine as a teenager and she is furious with her husband for cheating on her and lying to her throughout their marriage. The next minute, she is considering seducing Jimmy, Catherine's husband. Catherine, although seemingly more mature than Alison, almost sleeps with Marc (you guessed it!), who is ...more
Notbagels
I usually like Rowan Coleman's books for quick, fluffy chick lit, but this one kind of slogged for me. It was almost exactly halfway through the book before any of the characters realized they were living in the same town again and spoke to each other. It felt simultaneously like it had taken forever to get started and like there wasn't much story left to tell.

Also, I felt the reconciliation of all of the relationships was a little too easy and rather unrealistic. I hated half of the characters
Jessica
Jan 30, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As the due date for the library loomed, I was only about two thirds through this book. I had no desire to renew this. It was a struggle just to finish it. I ended up skimming through to the end. I didn't like any of the characters except for the 5 year old daughter named Leila. I didn't like the plot. I couldn't relate to any of the story line. I wouldn't be friends with someone who would steal my boyfriend and then 15 years later come back and proposition my husband. I also wouldn't be the type ...more
Wendy
In the process of reading.
Marti
Jun 08, 2015 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story with lots of drama. Glad for the happy ending.
Mags
Jun 05, 2011 Mags rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took half the book for me to get into it. It was slow and full of looong speeches. Just as I was getting into it, the author had YET another speech, this time about divorce. While the sentiment was well thought out, what took me out of the story was that the character was saying it to a 5-year-old! There is no way and adult would speak to a child that way. And this was just one of many examples of dialogue that did not fit the story. Overall, disappointed with this book.
Dawn
Sep 07, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out quite slow and then got a lot better about halfway through. Could have been shorter with less repetition and speeches, however.
Mae
Feb 28, 2011 Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enjoyable easy read by Rowan. Since reading her book the Accidental Mother I had to get my hands on more of her books and read them as I enjoyed it so much.
This book did not disappoint. I loved reading this book and following the storyline which can easily be related to someone's daily life experiences.
I recommend this book if you want a book that is good and enjoyable to read!!
Coll
Jul 01, 2009 Coll rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good read. It's set in England, and ususally I don't enjoy books written in the English style, what with all the "mums" and "snoggins" and all, but I did enjoy this. It was quick moving and emotional, about 2 childhood friends that fall out over an older boy and how they reunite as adults. It's a love story, but more a story about women and friendships.
Tricia
Nov 04, 2013 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I read the hard copy.

I really enjoyed this book. I started it on a Friday and could not put it down! I finished it in 2 days since I DID have to eat and sleep!!

This is a very complicated story of two childhood best friends who fall in love with the same guy....

Bad decisions made and 15 years later....lives are still entwined and even more complicated.
Diana
Sep 10, 2009 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
None of the characters made me feel able to sympathize with them. There was a lot of should I or shouldn't I? And it got tiresome. What should have been a quick read took me a bit because I knew from page one what would happen. I know this is supposed to be an easy chic lit read, but it was almost a parody of itself.
Ashley
Jun 25, 2009 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 2009
It was a good book. It is my first by Rowan Coleman. The plot was good, but not sure how believable. I thought the ending was rushed and there were things left unfinished that I really wanted finished. I didn't feel really pulled in by the characters that I usually like to be to enjoy a book, but the kids were adorable.
Brenda
Sep 21, 2009 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the storyline/plot of the book but it feels like it was going about it slowly at times. I gave it a 4 for the storyline but 2 for how it was written so it averaged out 3. What I found interesting is that this is a British book and learned a few British words (ie: bathroom - loo, cell phone - mobile).
  • Confessions Of A Demented Housewife: The Celebrity Year
  • Friends, Lovers and Other Indiscretions
  • West End Girls
  • Something Borrowed
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • Any Way You Want Me
  • It's a Kind of Magic
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • A Perfect Match
  • Just Peachy
  • Three In A Bed
  • The Red Dancer: The Life and Times of Mata Hari
  • Irreplaceable
Rowan Coleman lives with her husband, and five children in a very full house in Hertfordshire. She juggles writing novels with raising her family which includes a very lively set of toddler twins whose main hobby is going in the opposite directions. When she gets the chance, Rowan enjoys sleeping, sitting and loves watching films; she is also attempting to learn how to bake.

Rowan would like to liv
More about Rowan Coleman...