Start by marking “Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)

Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant #2)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  4,112 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Opening in 1936, the Zion Covenant series tells the courageous and compelling stories of those who risk everything to stand against the growing tide of Nazi terrorism that is sweeping through central Europe under the dangerous and deceitful guise of Hitler's Third Reich. A new study guide is included in each book.
Published March 17th 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published October 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Prague Counterpoint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prague Counterpoint

Becky
I wrote to the author and asked:

why do you use real character names (such as Winston Churchill) and change names of other characters (Craine & his castle clearly refer to William Herst)?
----------------------------
their response:
Dear Becky:
Good question! When we have interviews with real people who met historical characters (like Churchill) then we are comfortable using real names. When the setting involves hear-say reports or is purely fictional (even if realistic and true to character) the
Charyla Olsen
You can see my review about the first book, Vienna Prelude. Bodie Thoene continues her excellent work exposing the evil as the Nazis invade Czechoslovakia and the world reels or ignores the problems.
James Oliver Burns
At first reading I thought this was not going to be as good as the 1st book, Vienna Prelude, how wrong could I have been it's like a watching a movie and starting out again after the intermission, I just couldn't stop reading. Hitler and Germany has seized control of Vienna and the SS and the Gestapo have started terrorizing the Jews and the Nonconformist to the Nazi party, they have appointed Nazi puppets into key positions of Government of Austria and have set-up check points. Most all of the ...more
Jen Stewart
I read this whole series several years ago. Each book was so well written. I was captivated by the characters, their stories and struggles. It was this series that really peaked by love for historical fiction.
Jaimie
SPOILER ALERT!! DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE ENDING!!

Gotta say, I did NOT like the ending on this one. I mean, don't get me wrong (spoiler) the story ended happily, but there wasn't as much to it as I expected. The authors did an EXCELLENT job telling the history of Hitler's whole silent world takeover strategy and propaganda pre-WWII. They had me on the EDGE of my seat for the story of Charles and Louis trying to make it to safety. And the misunderstood love story between Elisa
Sherrie
i love the development of the characters who were introduced but not well known in the first book like otto, hershel, thomas etc. the only thing i didn't like about this book was that i felt like the plot with the twin boys dragged on. the whole second half of the book they sat in that dumb apartment. but loved this book and can't wait to get the next one...
JaNae
Mar 25, 2011 JaNae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Karin Dance
After I finished #1 I kept wondering about book 2 but didn't have it yet from the library. I think I liked this one better than #1! I don't want to give anything away so I'll leave it at that.

Can't wait to start #3 but the Library does NOT have that one in the series, SERIOUSLY?!?! Guess I'll be borrowing a copy soon.
Beverley McPherson
I enjoyed this historical fiction also. It really helped with an understanding of pre- WWII. It was clearly evident from the book, people Like Otto, Leah, John and Eliza who was instrumental in helping ,did a marvelous Job to twist Hilter plan. I liked Otto character and it really boosted the book ratings.
Carolyn  C.
I really enjoyed this second book in this series. Well written and again I was left feeling very connected to the characters:) Not only was I thoroughly engrossed in the story but this has been a great way for me to learn some of the history of the days leading up to WWII. Tough time to live!
Kendra
It is amazing to read about the events before WWII. It certainly makes me wonder, what would I do in similar circumstance! The fictional characters are also very intriguing. This series has really drawn me in.
Wendy
The first one was better... this was good, but it just seemed to take a really long time to get anywhere... it's so sad too to read about people getting treated that way.
Karen
Lovely to read the background of characters I was familiar with from the Thoenes' other series. Well written and page-turner, as usual.
Lawrence
Well written. The authors develop the characters well. Heavy subject matter makes be want to take time between the books in the series.
Carmen
Excellent book! I loved the characters and the story. Also was reminded of history. I read it in just a few days. very captivating!
Cathy Holland frueh
"What would it be like if the country you live in changed radically in ONE DAY? March 12, 1938, was indeed a dark day for Austria. In one day the face of the nation was stripped away and discarded as though it had never been. And all because of the strategic planning of Adolf Hitler, the man without a soul, and the people who chose to go along with, or avert their eyes from, his devious, satanic schemes."

This second book in the series was very good. Enjoyed it almost better than the first book.
Karma
I enjoyed this book - an interesting and enlightening sequel. I am half way through the third and still enjoying the story!
Kathryn
A good book - difficult to read or should I say difficult to go through emotionally what the people experienced then.
Jill
An excellent second book to the Zion Covenant series. I really felt I was in Vienna and Prague in 1938.
Beth Lawrence
this is a fascinating series of WW2 - more like an exciting personal accounting from several individuals.
Gloria
May 18, 2014 Gloria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical fiction fans; people interested in World War II
This book is actually more like 3.5 stars. There aren't many other people introduced, so readers can follow through from the first book. I do like that the authors included a map - which will grow to be a lot of "Germany" by the middle or end of the series...

The main action centers around Charles and Louis Kronenberger. Charles has a problem - he has a cleft palate in Nazi Germany. The authors needed to give a bit more background of what had happened in Germany and the laws that were put in plac
Reading the second book in this series has just made me more bitter that I did not know about these books earlier in life! These are FANTASTIC! In light of the wonderfully well-written "Bonhoeffer" by Metaxes, this book (though written years earlier) highlights the struggle of the true church to protect those deemed "undesirable" or who are seen as "a burden on society;" and let England, France and the USA know what was happening in 1930s Germany. The authors clearly put a lot of effort into res ...more
Meg
Elisa Lindheim is now Elisa Murphy - and safely in Prague after the Anschluss. With John Murphy called to London for work, Elisa's new American passport is burning a hole in her pocket as her friends remain in danger back in Vienna. When two little boys in Vienna desperately need her help, Elisa doesn't think twice about the dangers involved with rescuing them. Hitler's aspirations to grow the borders of Germany continue in this novel, with Czechoslovakia in his sights now that Austria is just a ...more
I really liked this one...my heart was racing the last 30 pages or so as I was so anxious to see what would happen (and then to start the next in the series, of course). Lots more European history from the late 1930s and helps me understand so much more clearly Hitler's rise to power and what led to the war.
Samantha
Loved it! I love the main characters in this series. It makes me want to keep reading and find out what happens to them.
I was afraid to read this at first because I thought since it was set during the holocaust and the main character is half-jewess (Haha, I just totally felt guilty for saying that. Like I was betraying her or something! ...it's only a book, Sam), but the writer didn't go into anything really graphic. It was disturbing for what it was, but I think she handled it tactfully.
So yea
Jane
The 2nd in the Zion Covenant series, a continuation of Elisa Lindheim's life during the Nazi takeover of Austria with Czechoslovakia next in line. Intrigue, surprises, sadness, love, horror and more are all presented in this story.
Jeni Enjaian
I enjoyed this book but like the first one, it didn't stand out. It, again like the first book, was easy to set down for indefinite periods of time if I had had to. I think that's likely because, in my opinion, these books are just above average and I've read them before.
Compared to most Christian historical fiction, these books are incredibly well written. (That's sad that I have to say that but unfortunately it's true.) The Thoenes take the time to fully research the history in which they base
Judy Scholl
The continuing story of the Holocaust moving from Vienna to Prague. I really like the explanation of how each country was taken without "battle". Superbly written.
Gail Johnson
I really am enjoying reading this couple's books....very good historic fiction!
Wendy Roberts
The second in the Zion Chronicles Series...this one could probably have been a bit shorter and at times the story didn't progress as quickly as I would have liked. However, once again, it gave me a real sense of what Austria became after the Nazi takeover and the sense of panic and unrest that existed in Czechoslovakia while the rest of the world continued to appease Hitler. An interesting story line about a boy with a cleft palate who had been singled out by the Nazi gov't to be killed at birth ...more
Vikki Kestell
I love Bodie's books and have read just about all of them!
  • A House Divided (The Russians, #2)
  • The Indentured Heart: 1740 (The House of Winslow)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2)
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • Fire by Night (Refiner's Fire, #2)
  • Shadow of the Mountains (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #2)
  • While Mortals Sleep
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5) A Daughter of Zion (Zion Chronicles #2)