Start by marking “Climbing Out of Depression: A Practical Guide to Real and Immediate Help” as Want to Read:
Climbing Out of Depression: A Practical Guide to Real and Immediate Help

Climbing Out of Depression: A Practical Guide to Real and Immediate Help

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A warm, simple, and practical guide to real and immediate help for those lost in the darkness of depression-written by someone who has experienced it and found a way out. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, more than 17 million Americans suffer from depression. For many of these millions, climbing back out of the pit of gloom seems almost impossible. Depr ...more
Published January 8th 2009 by Tarcher (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Climbing Out of Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Climbing Out of Depression

Alex
May 24, 2013 Alex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

A warm, simple, and practical guide to real and immediate help for those lost in the darkness of depression—written by someone who has experienced it and found a way out.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, more than 17 million Americans suffer from depression. For many of these millions, climbing back out of the pit of gloom seems almost impossible. Depression often leaves its victims feeling paralyzed, numb, and alone. Climbing Out of Depression is a guide for everyone who i

Jaachim
I was extremely wary when picking this book up, even though the author says from the beginning it's not a book on "ten steps to stop being sad!" Atkinson uses what she's learned from her experiences with depression to help the reader understand what's going on inside them and ways they can cope and get better. In reading this, I found a lot of things that I have done that have made my depression less awful and a lot of encouragements that I've received and given to other depressed people.

Althou
Jill
Jul 28, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibliotherapy
This book has given me a lot to think about. Her analogy works, even if it's not what I would use. I really liked the idea that she just wants to help, to give people a jumping off point. It also helped me see that just existing isn't enough, that on the good days, I can work toward ending the depression.
Gemma Applewhite
May 14, 2015 Gemma Applewhite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
wueasa
Mar 10, 2009 wueasa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"...her book contains a varied menu of hints, quotations and illustrations, not page after page of unbroken text. This is a book to dip into as fits your mood and need, making a dependable guide to the climb."

Description from Amazon
Bob Potter
The author came at the subject from the perspective of a fellow sufferer of depression. This angle helped confirm some ideas I've had about the subject and also gave me a reinforcing feeling of not being alone.
Michelle Savin
This book started out with promise but got gradually more about connecting with god. A concept that further frustrates my existential depression.
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Emma Taylor
Emma Taylor rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Sean Dissington
Sean Dissington rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Nick Evans
Nick Evans marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Mina
Mina marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Julinda Ooi
Julinda Ooi marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Dorry
Dorry rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Sharon Meiring-jones
Sharon Meiring-jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Sunho Kum
Sunho Kum rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Sarah added it
May 05, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Oct 02, 2015
George
George marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Silverraven
Silverraven rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2014
Kara Moore
Kara Moore marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Victoria Gallagher
Victoria Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Joe Cassels
Joe Cassels rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Marija
Marija rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014