Start by marking “Star Trek 7” as Want to Read:
Star Trek 7

Star Trek 7 (Star Trek #7)

Join up! Board the Enterprise and journey with her crew to far-off worlds, where you will find: Greek gods and American Indians; men who can live forever and other men who die of old age at twenty-nine; a machine with the power to raise the dead and a woman whose tears can topple empires.
Mass Market Paperback, 155 pages
Published 1976 by Bantam Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 7

Scott
Apr 07, 2017 Scott rated it liked it
"On your planet, Mr. Spock, females are logical. No other planet in the galaxy can make that claim."

Enjoyable collection of a half-dozen adaptations of episodes of the television series. I wasn't previously familiar with these particular stories, so I don't know how much Blish embellished. I'm guessing not much as there are points at which things seem to be glossed over due to time constraints, but they read pretty well overall.

"Who Mourns for Adonais?": The Enterprise is pulled to an Earthlike
Robert
Apr 23, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
Recommended to Robert by: 1
More fun, more or less frivolous adventures with Kirk and the crew, adapted by Blish. I was disappointed to find no preface from Blish in this one; Blish talking about almost anything is interesting, including Star Trek fan mail. Heaps of these books were sold (millions) so I wonder if they made him more money than his other work (combined)?

I am once again impressed by the number of tragic amours Kirk manages to involve himself in.
Rich Meyer
Another entry in James Blish's series of episode adaptations, the only standouts in this one are "Metamorphosis", which established the character of Zefram Cochrane, and "the Changeling", which was inadvertently part of the basis for Star Trek The Motion Picture. "The Deadly Years" is also adapted. Good characterizations and a lot of them have a bit more background information that resolve plot holes.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Arwen
Jun 08, 2017 Arwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another James Blish adaptation. It is funny how in every story there is some knockout beauty that Kirk has to deal with. But I love the way Blish writes these adaptations, they are just as good as the episodes.
Tracy Poff
Dec 03, 2015 Tracy Poff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Keeping up the pace, in July 1972 James Blish released his seventh volume of novelizations, Star Trek 7 . In this volume are adapted "Who Mourns for Adonais?", "The Changeling", "The Paradise Syndrome", "Metamorphosis", "The Deadly Years", and "Elaan of Troyius".

"Who Mourns for Adonais?" reminds me once again how shockingly often Kirk's first response to a problem is to kill it. Apollo, jealous god that he is, was certainly being obstinate, but except for his severe reactions to Scotty's aggres
Francisco
Apr 18, 2016 Francisco rated it liked it
Yet another group of 6 novelizations of TOS episodes, this time we have: "Who Mourns for Adonais?", "The Changeling", "The Paradise Syndrome", "Metamorphosis", "The Deadly Years" and
"Elaan of Troyius".

Again this is not the set of the greatest episodes ever made, in fact it seems that by the time the last few books come along they are already scraping the barrel of what TOS had to offer, but clearly they kept selling books so Blish kept throwing them out there. There's nothing wrong with Blish's
Yaaresse
When i was a kid, my older sister's friend GAVE me the entire collection. (I know!) Over the next few years, I read them all in order, starting the first one the day after I finished the last one. Loved them. I'm not sad that I didn't hang onto them and can only hope they still exist to make some other fan happy. (But I doubt it because...well, paperbacks, you know?)

The adaptations got better in the later volumes, but it was Star Trek whenever and wherever I wanted with having to put up with th
Charles
Oct 08, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Andy
Sep 05, 2010 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were largely my introduction to the Star Trek world; I read them before the local TV stations started playing the ubiquitous Star Trek syndicated reruns that ruled the 70's. Can't say how I would have felt about these books had I not been a kid at the time that I read them, but they are said to be pretty "workmanlike".
OJ Svartheim
Jan 07, 2017 OJ Svartheim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
See "Star Trek 1" by James Blish for a detailed comment about my opinion of books 1-13.
James Sorensen
Novelizations of Star Trek TOS. Fun to read if you've never seen the original TV episodes.
Kenneth
Feb 01, 2016 Kenneth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A number of stories including kirk being good given a love potion.
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
What happened to his prefaces? Awww. Still good.
Bob Frantz
It was enjoyable. Like reading an alternative versions of the classic episodes.
Curtiss
Another half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Jonathan D
Jonathan D rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Dan Venton
Dan Venton rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2010
Zenon
Zenon rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Jonathanrb
Jonathanrb rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Dennis Mills
Dennis Mills rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Earl Woods
Earl Woods rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2014
David Smith
David Smith rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Robert James
Robert James rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Vern
Vern rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Kirk Domenico
Kirk Domenico rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Garrett Dale
Garrett Dale rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2009
Indigo Project
Indigo Project rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Timetrap
  • The Abode of Life
  • Legacy
  • World Without End (Star Trek Adventures, #10)
  • Final Frontier
  • Mudd's Angels (Star Trek Adventures)
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • Enterprise: The First Adventure
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–
More about James Blish...

Star Trek (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Star Trek 1