Blank-133x176
The Art of War & The P...

Niccolò Machiavelli

The Art of War & The Prince by Machiavelli

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  13 reviews

This Special Edition of The Art of War & The Prince by Machiavelli unites both of Machiavelli's renowned volumes on strategy so that the philosophy and mechanisms for obtaining power and managing power may be seen as a single entity. Possessed of a great intellect, Niccolo Machiavelli was uniquely suited to examine and explain the important details of statecraft.

Machi

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1521)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of War & The Prince by Machiavelli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of War & The Prince by Machiavelli

Harry Hunter
It took me a long time to finish reading this; indeed it was sat on my shelf or bedside table for over a year until I forced myself to concentrate on it over other more easily read & understood books. But while I admit I found it difficult at times to fully understand many of Machiavelli’s ideas without re-reading sections several times over there are so many lessons taught that are as relevant today as they were 500 years ago. Numerous passages throughout ‘The Prince’ could relate directly...more
Ben
The Prince is the consummate guide to assuming and maintaining power in Renaissance Italy: a defining work in political philosophy and the establishment of 'realpolitik' ideology. There were many parts I found somewhat hard to follow - Niccolo being a historian likes to 'drop names' of historical figures throughout the book... some I had knowledge of - many I did not. This made it a little bit hard to comprehend in certain places. I did find it an entertaining read that still very much rings thr...more
Dawn
"The Prince" is an excellent look into history, politics, and those who are at the top of successful powerful businesses. "The Art of War," however, took me almost 3 years to read only because it was the type of book I'd pick up when I couldn't decide what to read or couldn't sleep. Personally, I found it boring, overly detailed, but learned plenty about the military styles, defenses, training, and such of many countries during the 1400s. I love history, but I can find hundreds of other ways to...more
Smaaron
When you get into Management classes at the university level, you'll often read some book like "You're the Best Around!! How to Win While Getting to Yes AND Use Your Strengths that You've Recently Discovered!!!"

Compared to Machiavelli, all modern business books blow. They blow hard.

Basically, Machiavelli wrote down the original version of business management, based on what he saw during the time of the Medici's in Italy.

Any dude or lady that writes a book is simply saying what Machiavelli said...more
Nancy Monson
I did not glean as much from these essays as I had hoped. But the book was extremely interesting and educational. At some point in "The Prince" I began to wonder if the entire work was not intended to be ironic. Certain assertions were so ridiculous and yet so seriously put forth, that I had to wonder.
Dev Nithiavel
The Prince is a good read, but the Art of War was a little too dry with too many prescriptive details on battle tactics and strategy. But overall, much could be learned from both, but more to be skimmed away. The Prince was still a gem, offering insights into statesmanship and a must read.
Todd
I'd never read "The Prince," but its lessons are so ingrained I felt like I was rereading it. I will say that Machiavelli gets a bad rap when his name is made an adjective. So it is better to be feared than loved: if you want to get stuff done, you have to break a few eggheads.
Rachel Parker
I read this before studying abroad in Italy. It was a great supplement to my time in Florence and helped me better understand the art and culture.
Donna
Not my usual choice of books... I did find it amazing that although written in the 16th century his thoughts are just as current today.
Lucas
As an edition, this is pretty basic. It includes virtually nothing for introductory or contextual material, and no notes whatsoever.
Daniel
Nov 18, 2009 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every mean soul
Recommended to Daniel by: no one .
David
I'm currently reading this... so far it's very good.
Endora Harris
Apr 14, 2010 Endora Harris is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A warriors should read this!
Soubhi
Soubhi added it
Aug 21, 2014
Omar Williams
Omar Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jason Parker
Jason Parker marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Michiel
Michiel marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Aaron Cripps
Aaron Cripps marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Zainab Raja
Zainab Raja marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Munzier Sahari
Munzier Sahari marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Mensur Ibrahim
Mensur Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
  • All Life Is Problem Solving
  • A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)
  • La scomparsa di Majorana
  • La casta. Così i politici italiani sono diventati intoccabili
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles & The Valley of Fear
  • La cognizione del dolore
  • This Craft of Verse
  • Confessions of a Philosopher: A Personal Journey Through Western Philosophy from Plato to Popper
  • Enquiries Concerning the Human Understanding/Concerning the Principles of Morals
  • Atheism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Great Gatsby and Other Stories
  • Philosophy of Mind
  • Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected
  • Celtic Fairy Tales
Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian political philosopher, musician, poet, and romantic comedic playwright. He is a figure of the Italian Renaissance and a central figure of its political component, most widely known for his treatises on realist political theory (The Prince) on the one hand and republicanism (Discourses on Livy) on the other.
More about Niccolò Machiavelli...
The Prince The Discourses The Art of War Mandragola The Prince and Other Writings