Start by marking “The Messengers” as Want to Read:
The Messengers

The Messengers

This is the haunting tale of the Solomon family, and the mysterious drifter who comes to help on the troubled family farm, and the dark secret that he's running from.
Published January 16th 2007 by Dark Horse Comics (first published January 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Messengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Messengers

Ashley
I originally gave this graphic adaptation a 2 star rating in August 2016. Here is is January 2017 and I just finished watching the movie for the first time since its release on video. I didn't realize how bad this sketchpad story was until I watched the movie again, so I dropped the rating.
My first read through, had me confused as what little I recalled from the film, didn't seem to match up with what I was reading. As I was watching the movie, I "followed" along with the comic version and notic
Molly
Mar 05, 2017 Molly rated it did not like it
Like another reviewer of this short "graphic novel", I acquired "The Messengers" for $1 on a sale rack at Books A Million. I love many graphic novels but in this one, the story was too scattered and shallow, and the art too vague, for the reader to even remotely follow what was going on with any semblance of interest. By vague, I mean that it was difficult (as is the case, to be fair, with other graphic novels as well sometimes) to tell all the white guys apart. In sum, I won't even put this one ...more
Ashley
I bought this for $1 at Books-a-Million and now I understand why it was clearance.
I watched the movie years ago and recall little other than the kid, Twilight Girl, and that guy from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and some crows.
Reading this adaptation left me confused as it didn't feel true to the movie.
Jason Hall's writing felt bare and rushed, as if there were large chunks of story missing. Kelley Jones' art was a waste of paper and ink as it was terrible. Nothing but shadows and outlines.
This
Rick Hunter
Aug 27, 2016 Rick Hunter rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
My sister picked this up at Dollar Tree, Dollar General, or some other dollar store a couple weeks ago. I saw her rating on here was only 2 stars and I knew she was going to get rid of the book the next time she went to make some trade-ins. I figured that even it sucked that it would give me something quick to read to add to my reading challenge.

I saw this movie at the drive-in years ago when it came out and that's the only time I've ever seen it. If you had asked me yesterday what the movie wa
Sam
Jul 24, 2010 Sam rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, graphic-novel
Based on the Pang Brothers movie, this book combines the film story with a stranger who arrives at the family farm and offers his help in exchange for room and board, the only problem is this stranger has a deep dark secret that ultimately finds it's way out with drastic and life threatening consequences. The raw style of the graphic work adds to the tension and ultimate horror of the story.
Rees Malwin
Sep 01, 2015 Rees Malwin rated it liked it
2.75/5 stars

.....What the heck is this? I mean, I enjoyed the fact that we learned the hitch-hiker's story and all, but it just rushed through the entire thing. I liked it, but I wish there was more of a story.
Megan Parker
Dec 28, 2014 Megan Parker rated it it was ok
This was my first graphic novel. I literally had no clue what was going on until the very end. So yeah. That's all I have to say I guess.
Archie Lewallen
Archie Lewallen rated it did not like it
Oct 10, 2016
Bill Bryant
Bill Bryant rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Gregory
Gregory rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2008
Maverick
Maverick rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Wesley
Wesley rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Grace D
Grace D rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2014
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2010
Cool
Cool marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2010
Cat
Cat added it
Mar 01, 2012
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2012
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013
Alyanur
Alyanur marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Lauren Jacobs
Lauren Jacobs marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Johnny Guerrero
Johnny Guerrero marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Mikebo
Mikebo added it
Jan 20, 2016
Chrystal
Chrystal marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
There is more than one author with this name
More about Jason Hall...