Start by marking “The Gift of Sex: A Guide to Sexual Fulfillment” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Sex: A Guide to Sexual Fulfillment

The Gift of Sex: A Guide to Sexual Fulfillment

Clifford and Joyce Penner, clinical therapist and nurse have written a sensitive and forthright guide to understanding sexuality and how it fits into God's design for marriage. This revised and updated version features a new introduction, new illustrations, a section on addictions and the Internet, and a timely discussion on sexually transmitted diseases and their conseque ...more
Published September 9th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 15th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Sex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Sex

Mar 12, 2014 Des rated it it was amazing
Clifford and Joyce Penner have written a comprehensive book which begins by helping the reader understand God's original purpose and design for sex and sexuality. The book covers just about every topic and answers every question one may have about healthy sex and sexuality, ranging from enhancing pleasure further in marriages of with each spouse expresses being satisfied, to those who have virtually no active sexual intimacy within their marriage, as well as those who are experiencing various se ...more
Feb 14, 2011 Alexander is currently reading it
This is a book of great wisdom. While I have only read the first five or six chapters, it has been very good to do so. I am currently engaged and if I read anymore I might go crazy in anticipation before the wedding day. The quality of the information is really good. It talks a lot about how our past affects our attitudes toward sex and the pitfalls that many fall into which can be avoided. I recommend this book and can't wait to finish it when I get married. It is also part of our curriculum in ...more
Aadel Bussinger
May 02, 2014 Aadel Bussinger rated it really liked it
Shelves: college
One of the better Christian marriage books out there about sex. The Penners have 30+ years of sexual couples seminars and sex counseling behind them and they do a great job of covering a wide range of topics.

Only a couple times did I feel that they were basing their advice/guidance on the typical roles men and women fill in the sexual relationship. I would have liked to see the ideas of women wanting/needing sex more often and the man being sexually slower to respond be tackled.
Aug 12, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: before marriage, newlyweds, marrieds
Recommended to Julie by: marriage counselor
Let's talk about sex from a Christian point of view, written by a couple. You get the male and female perspective! Well written, biblically based. Must read before you get married, and read over and over throughout your marriage. Reminds you to serve each other, go that extra mile even when you don't feel like it. The results are worth it! Great shower/wedding gift.
Apr 04, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a biblical counselor, I recommend this to newlyweds, engaged couples (nearing marriage) and any married couple who struggles in their physical intimacy. It is straightforward, specific and yet very respectful.
Justin Steckbauer
Jul 11, 2015 Justin Steckbauer rated it really liked it
This book provided pretty solid biblical teachings regarding human sexuality in marriage. The only objection I would have is what they teach regarding masturbation. Lust is a sin, which is intrinsic to masturbation. Otherwise this is an excellent resource for sex in marriage.
Mar 01, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
This is a very informative book, founded on biblical principles. I recommend it for every couple to read, especially if one or both partners have questions about sex and sexuality, and/or are facing difficult times in their marriage bed.
Rose rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2014
Andrew rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Md rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Alex rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Mark rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2008
Joel Deacon
Joel Deacon rated it liked it
May 11, 2014
Lynda rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Kim Randell
Kim Randell rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2011
James Smith
James Smith rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Candice rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Sep 18, 2007 Joe rated it it was amazing
Christian guide to getting it on; aaaawww yeah! That's what I'm talking about.
Symeon rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Dave Heidkamp
Dave Heidkamp rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Dianne White
Dianne White rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Jonathan Esterman
Jonathan Esterman rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Ashley rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
May 02, 2011 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, marriage
It was helpful. Not too annoying. I enjoyed my read.
Tim Isbell
Tim Isbell rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2013
Anthony Lawson
Aug 13, 2016 Anthony Lawson rated it liked it
Read this a long time ago, it was pretty radical for evangelical Christians at the time.
Kevin rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Helena Thomas
Helena Thomas rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Mark Murray
Mark Murray rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Why You Do the Things You Do: The Secret to Healthy Relationships
  • A Celebration Of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God's Gift of Sexual Intimacy
  • Competent Christian Counseling, Volume One: Foundations and Practice of Compassionate Soul Care
  • The Family: A Christian Perspective On The Contemporary Home
  • Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage
  • 60 Things God Said About Sex
  • Heaven's Song
  • Lifelong Love Affair: How to Have a Passionate and Deeply Rewarding Marriage
  • Surviving a Spiritual Mismatch in Marriage
  • Intimate Moments with the Savior: Learning to Love
  • Every Woman's Marriage: Igniting the Joy and Passion You Both Desire
  • Red-Hot Monogamy: Making Your Marriage Sizzle
  • The Power of a Praying Wife Devotional: Fresh Insights for You and Your Marriage
  • Posers, Fakers, and Wannabes: Unmasking the Real You