Rick Steves' Istanbul

Rick Steves' Istanbul

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Provides historical walking tours and trip itineraries where you can admire mosques, find deals at the Grand Bazaar, explore Sultanahmet Park, and discover Topkapi Palace. Clear instructions for smooth travel anywhere by car, train, or foot. Highlights Rick's newest "back door" discoveries throughout the city. Features web support at www.ricksteves.com, the most heavily vi...more
Published June 8th 2010 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published April 28th 2008)

Melissa
[2009.05] Bought and brought with us on the Istanbul portion of our Spring-Summer 2009 Europe trip. We liked the book for its walking tours of various parts of the city and of some of the attractions. Our standard use of guidebooks that we bring with us involves cutting them up into chucks, so we have less to carry in the daypack, and sometimes we leave the bits we've finished with other travelers who might find them useful. And our standard bit regarding RS books: The book has good info (e.g. h...more
Trena
Oct 20, 2010 Trena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nerds on their first visit to Istanbul
I have never watched Rick Steves's show, but his "Through the Back Door" philosophy annoys me because (1) well, it sounds perverted, and (2) in the age of the internet, there really are no "secrets" or "undiscovered gems" in Europe (where Steves travels). There is certainly still a place for travel books, but more as information organizers than as secret revealers.

Anyway, I checked out pretty much the entire collection of Turkey and Istanbul travel books from the library and after looking throug...more
This book was excellent! If you are going on vacation to Istanbul I highly recommend it!

I am a big fan of Rick Steve's guidebooks. I have to admit I wasn't sure what to expect from his first guidebook not written by him but by an Istanbul couple he does tours with. This book pretty much lived up to the standard I have come to expect from his guidebooks.

The little maps were enormously helpful. The maps in this book were the primary ones my husband and I used navigating around the city. We used th...more
Noel
Enjoyed reading this in anticipation of my next trip. Really needed to brush up on the Ottoman Empire and this had just enough history for me. Will reserve judgment on the rest of the book until after the trip.
Jenni
Great resource. On the trip down the Bosporous, we were able to follow the markers all along the way. The book was invaluable in helping us figure out how to take the trams, buses, and other transportation, where to change money, how to locate the ferry, ticket booths, and many attractions. It did not let us down.
Mark Masters
Rick Steve’s book was everything it advertises, and I’m sure it will be handy when (and if) I make it to Istanbul. However, I can’t help but feel disappointed. Everything in the book could have been found on the internet. I was hoping for something with more descriptions of places off the beaten path.
Adria
Rick Steves guides are consistently good travel resources. This one is no exception. He keeps them up to date every year. Historical and descriptive information is very useful. Maps and walking tours easy to follow. Excellent.
Carol
Rick Steves Guidebooks are generally well written and allow you to find out what you want to know about a place so you can explore on your own. This one lived up to the usual reputation.
Grace
Didn't use it like I had intended to - never had the opportunity to do the suggested walks. Mainly used for the shopping tips.
Melissa
Informative as always, especially helpful in finding and understanding Turkish baths in Istanbul.
Elizabeth Bosse
Looking forward to using this book when we travel to Istanbul next month.
Catherine Woodman
Rickie Steve is always a good bet
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2014
Tamta
Tamta added it
Mar 30, 2014
Eleanor
Eleanor is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rick Steves' Istanbul Rick Steves� Istanbul Rick Steves' Tour: Bosphorus Cruise, Istanbul Rick Steves' Walk: Istanbul New District Rick Steves' Tour: Grand Bazaar, Istanbul