Ultimate Sales Machine

Ultimate Sales Machine

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,672 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Chet Holmes helps his clients blow away both the competition and their own expectations. And his advice starts with one simple concept: focus! Instead of trying to master four thousand strategies to improve your business, zero in on the few essential skill areas that make the big difference.

The Ultimate Sales Machine shows you how to tune up and soup up virtually every par...more
Published June 21st 2007 by Penguin Group (USA)

Nicholas
Bart Van Loon
Okay, it's another American book on business and this one is perhaps even more `American' than all the others. Everything is repeated, data is served in very small chunks, the author is shamelessly self-promoting on every single page, etc...

BUT

I do believe the content of this book and the learnings you get from it are extremely useful to increase your companies sales productivity. I also liked the link the author makes between business and life. Success in either one basically requires a very si...more
Maura
Some useful ideas for those of us who aren't in sales. My biggest takeaways:
*dedicate 1 hour per week on areas that need improvement that otherwise wouldn't get attention
*When pitching, always put things in terms of the customer's benefit/point if view, not you or your product's advantages
*Don't waffle when trying to make a sale. A great example was a real estate agent who told a couple about to buy their first house something like "Now buying a house is a big decision and shouldn't be rushed in...more
Trevor
Anecdotes of Holmes' time with Charlie Munger are peppered throughout and are generally entertaining and informative, unfortunately they also become repetitive and somewhat trite. Holmes was obviously a master salesman and an excellent trainer however much of the books' advice is either overly broad (being doggedly persistent helps close deals) or too specific (providing exact phraseology).

Overall I found it an interesting read but my general sense as a non-salesman is that any number of more r...more
Roberto Jorda-Cid
Best business book ive read in a long time. This is the type of book that gets you thinking, pumped, and read to take action all at once. No one has the ability Chet Holmes has to make this information be relevant and also help guide you to take action.

This is a book I will re-read as many times until it becomes second nature. The tips, the exercise, and the stories that are intertwined throughout the reading make this a great experience and tool for anyone creating a business, works in sales,...more
Jason
I promise that this will be the first and last sales book I add to my list. The books author, Chet Holmes, claims to be "Americas greatest sales and marketing executive". That may or may not be the case. Regardless, he does not lack hubris. Just ask him who's the best. Anyway, Chet has developed "12 skill areas" that will help anyone sell stuff better than they ever have before! For our reading convienience he's broken down the 12 skill areas into 12 chapters! You will only need to read these 12...more
Scott Taylor
This book provides a decent overview of sales, with a lot of examples from a successful salesperson. As a forewarning, a large part of my brain is probably devoted to ignoring advertisements and spam, so I have a lot of negative opinions about many sales techniques.

Review of Sales Techniques
Numerous methods and types of sales are discussed, with strategies explained. I have no doubt most businesses would find one or more strategies they haven't thought of. Personally, I reject about half of the...more
Eric
The author is a very talented salesman who give a lot of very practical advice on selling in marketing. In my industry, every aspect of my marketing is regulated so many of the techniques he uses can't be used in the financial services industry. However, the concept of selling by educating works well in what I do.

I thought one of the best parts of the book involved how to manage your staff and not allowing "got a minute" meeting. The author points out that if you manage a large staff and a lot o...more
Chung Chin
In Ultimate Sales Machine, Chet Holmes, karate master and sales guru lays down business advices to grow your business. Although the title is "Ultimate Sales Machine", the author touches on more than sales - he also talks about time management, executing effective meetings and also corporate training.

The book is written in a sort of conversational, light-breezy feel that seems like the author is talking to you. Some may like it, some may not. I am OK with it and would have preferred it to be more...more
Jerry Smith
Lots of interesting and common sense advice here for businesses looking to build, as the title says, the Ultimate Sales machine. Much of the material here supports similarly enlightened methodology I have learned in the past from Sandler Sales Institute and others, but there are new ideas here and different ideas from those I have worked with in the past so it made for good reading and useful advice.

One of his key points is the necessity for a big ego to be successful in ensuring you stay the co...more
Kari Metzger
great book but a little dated in advice (I'm sure it was groundbreaking at the time though!). The two huge points for me that got it those four stars were:

1) eliminating "got a minute meetings" and

2) pigheaded determination.

those two concepts were worth the read but there are other sales books that I would recommend before this one for new sales people or even managers.

great concepts though!
Heath
I have read many books about sales and business over my life and I wasn't ever able to find one the really explained things in a clear format with sufficient case studies and examples - until now. This is by far the best book I have read on how to structure your time, business, and sales efforts so that they all truly work in concert to become a Sales Machine. Chet's approach seems, at first, to be very arrogant & pompous but you soon realize that his approach comes from the level of confide...more
W Kevin
Good read - I have personally spoken with Chet and found him to be an interesting person. The book is packed with practical advise. I liked it a lot!
Cheryl
I never read business books for pleasure but I had to read this for work and so also had to suspend my certainty and open my mind (in other words, check my ego at the door). There's actually a lot of good stuff in here if you can get past the ego. Nothing really earth-shattering/mind altering but good solid sales and basic marketing stuff that unfortunately gets read, trained and then put on the back shelf. Remember it's always about the implementation. So whether you're just starting out or nee...more
Kristen Blanchet keegan
A lot of great info in this book for anybody in sales.
mpsiple
The book is really geared toward a growing your business through what Holmes calls "educational marketing," and as an insurance salesman, there wasn't a ton of application for me. But the first three chapters (on time management, training and procedures, and having effective meetings) have my ink all over them. I would recommend the first three chapters for anyone that would like to improve the efficiency of their own work or the organization they're a part of.

This is probably the worst title ev...more
Jessica
Good client examples/case studies and concise points that were mostly easy to incorporate into my daily work schedule. The two that have stuck with me: Make a list for yourself of 6 things you're going to do each day. You'll only get six done anyway and you want to prioritize which 6 those are at the beginning of the day. Second, hire rockstars. You can tell a rockstar in an interview. Don't hire a good resume and a well-presented interview. Rockstars make good companies great.
Grant Weaver
This book is about high performance sales systems. As important as high performance sales skills are, without a good strategy and an air-tight sales system you won't make as much money as you could.

I particularly enjoyed the part on rejecting your potential sales reps as a filter for hiring superstars. If they don't try and overcome your rejection, then you probably don't want to hire them.

Jose Gonzalez
I love this book, it has an incredible metodology to sell more...
Robert
Great for a sales person if the only thing you care about is numbers. Call 1,000 leads and get 1 sale. Sounds logical then to pump out as many calls as possible or, in his case, have someone else do it. His dedication to system based approach would be more digestible if the purpose instead was to increase or maintain quality and let the numbers come in higher as a by-product.
Car
Wow! This is an amazing book! I have read lots of sales material, since I am a sales trainer. This book is without question the best material I have ever read. For my full review, please click on my associated content article below:

Pascal Wagner

Phenominenal book that I plan the read again. Every section had actionable items. It is a book where you read a chapter and then implement what you learned. Definitely a must read EVEN if you have read other sales and marketing books. After putting some of his advice into practice, he is right - it's all about pig headed determination.
Tom
Read this book in about 2 hours. Pretty locgical info if you run a business. Stresses how to keep "Super-Star" employees. Wasn't a fan of the tactics mentioned in book. However because I'm a web geek I believe that cold calling and door-to-door sales is too old school for me. Best way to sell is a big web presense.
Travis Healy
Great book on advanced selling and business generation. Still has some old school stuff in it that I don't agree with - specifically putting one over on executive gate keepers(page 187). I'm not a fan of using borderline subversion tactics and implied intimidation to advance.

Overall, definitely worth the read...
Dave
Recommended by one of my clients. A great review of basic sales and marketing, particularly useful for small businesses where some of the needed elements are easily overlooked. You may not learn much new from this book, but you will certainly find things that you should go and do for your business immediately!
Hugh Stearns
As a small business owner I found this book to be more than just a manifesto on sales it deals with most areas of business. Like most business books, it is less about learning something new than it is about an articulation that allows you to better integrate and implement a body of knowledge.
Travis Sinclair
I read this book several years ago prior to beginning my short career as a car salesman. I had heard about it from a friend and felt the information within was practical and useful. Some of the tips made the book worth the buy however a lot of this book is common sense.
Susan B
Oh Chet, I'd love to meet you! :-) My business way of thinking is very much aligned with Chet's creative pig-headed determination approach. Though some of the social media parts need updating a great book, especially for young people starting in business.
Philip Boling
Feb 10, 2010 Philip Boling rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in sales
Recommended to Philip by: Elder Terry
This book was recommended to me and I would consider it a must read for anyone who is considering becoming a career in sales.

It is basically a self help book on how to become very successful in sales. I intend to now purchase the book and then to reread.
Richard
I heard commercial after commercial for this book and figured I had to read it. I did so as an audio book. It was rather disappointing. There was little that was new and it came across as a bit pompous. I had to push myself to finish it
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Fail-Safe Investing
  • Spin Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • 45 Effective Ways for Hiring Smart! : How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • The Sales Bible: The Ultimate Sales Resource
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment
  • Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less
Sell Anything! The Ultimate Sales Machine: Turbocharge Your Business with Relentless Focus on 12 Key Strategies: Updated Edition

“Use market data, not product data. Set the buying criteria in your favor. Find the “smoking gun,” the one thing that undeniably positions you over every one else. Make sure you hit their pain points. Include your own pitch for your product or ser vice only after you have covered the education thoroughly.” 1 likes