Start by marking “Ultimate Sales Machine” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Sales Machine

Ultimate Sales Machine

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  3,659 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Chet Holmes helps his clients blow away both the competition and their own expectations. And his advice starts with one simple concept: focus! Instead of trying to master four thousand strategies to improve your business, zero in on the few essential skill areas that make the big difference.

The Ultimate Sales Machine shows you how to tune up and soup up virtually every par
Published June 21st 2007 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Sales Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Sales Machine

Nicholas
Jason
I promise that this will be the first and last sales book I add to my list. The books author, Chet Holmes, claims to be "Americas greatest sales and marketing executive". That may or may not be the case. Regardless, he does not lack hubris. Just ask him who's the best. Anyway, Chet has developed "12 skill areas" that will help anyone sell stuff better than they ever have before! For our reading convienience he's broken down the 12 skill areas into 12 chapters! You will only need to read these 12 ...more
Scott
This book provides a decent overview of sales, with a lot of examples from a successful salesperson. As a forewarning, a large part of my brain is probably devoted to ignoring advertisements and spam, so I have a lot of negative opinions about many sales techniques.

Review of Sales Techniques
Numerous methods and types of sales are discussed, with strategies explained. I have no doubt most businesses would find one or more strategies they haven't thought of. Personally, I reject about half of the
Bart Van Loon
Okay, it's another American book on business and this one is perhaps even more `American' than all the others. Everything is repeated, data is served in very small chunks, the author is shamelessly self-promoting on every single page, etc...

BUT

I do believe the content of this book and the learnings you get from it are extremely useful to increase your companies sales productivity. I also liked the link the author makes between business and life. Success in either one basically requires a very si
Maura
Some useful ideas for those of us who aren't in sales. My biggest takeaways:
*dedicate 1 hour per week on areas that need improvement that otherwise wouldn't get attention
*When pitching, always put things in terms of the customer's benefit/point if view, not you or your product's advantages
*Don't waffle when trying to make a sale. A great example was a real estate agent who told a couple about to buy their first house something like "Now buying a house is a big decision and shouldn't be rushed in
Trevor
Anecdotes of Holmes' time with Charlie Munger are peppered throughout and are generally entertaining and informative, unfortunately they also become repetitive and somewhat trite. Holmes was obviously a master salesman and an excellent trainer however much of the books' advice is either overly broad (being doggedly persistent helps close deals) or too specific (providing exact phraseology).

Overall I found it an interesting read but my general sense as a non-salesman is that any number of more r
Roberto Jorda-Cid
Best business book ive read in a long time. This is the type of book that gets you thinking, pumped, and read to take action all at once. No one has the ability Chet Holmes has to make this information be relevant and also help guide you to take action.

This is a book I will re-read as many times until it becomes second nature. The tips, the exercise, and the stories that are intertwined throughout the reading make this a great experience and tool for anyone creating a business, works in sales,
Robert
Great for a sales person if the only thing you care about is numbers. Call 1,000 leads and get 1 sale. Sounds logical then to pump out as many calls as possible or, in his case, have someone else do it. His dedication to system based approach would be more digestible if the purpose instead was to increase or maintain quality and let the numbers come in higher as a by-product.
Eric
The author is a very talented salesman who give a lot of very practical advice on selling in marketing. In my industry, every aspect of my marketing is regulated so many of the techniques he uses can't be used in the financial services industry. However, the concept of selling by educating works well in what I do.

I thought one of the best parts of the book involved how to manage your staff and not allowing "got a minute" meeting. The author points out that if you manage a large staff and a lot o
Chung Chin
In Ultimate Sales Machine, Chet Holmes, karate master and sales guru lays down business advices to grow your business. Although the title is "Ultimate Sales Machine", the author touches on more than sales - he also talks about time management, executing effective meetings and also corporate training.

The book is written in a sort of conversational, light-breezy feel that seems like the author is talking to you. Some may like it, some may not. I am OK with it and would have preferred it to be more
Jerry Smith
Lots of interesting and common sense advice here for businesses looking to build, as the title says, the Ultimate Sales machine. Much of the material here supports similarly enlightened methodology I have learned in the past from Sandler Sales Institute and others, but there are new ideas here and different ideas from those I have worked with in the past so it made for good reading and useful advice.

One of his key points is the necessity for a big ego to be successful in ensuring you stay the co
Kari Metzger
great book but a little dated in advice (I'm sure it was groundbreaking at the time though!). The two huge points for me that got it those four stars were:

1) eliminating "got a minute meetings" and

2) pigheaded determination.

those two concepts were worth the read but there are other sales books that I would recommend before this one for new sales people or even managers.

great concepts though!
Heath
I have read many books about sales and business over my life and I wasn't ever able to find one the really explained things in a clear format with sufficient case studies and examples - until now. This is by far the best book I have read on how to structure your time, business, and sales efforts so that they all truly work in concert to become a Sales Machine. Chet's approach seems, at first, to be very arrogant & pompous but you soon realize that his approach comes from the level of confide ...more
Benjamin Matthew
One of the best business books you could read. Chapters 4 and 10 are highly effective for learning to sell.
Vlad Kitaynik
Read it if are in sales. Perry applicable even for post soviet reality
W Kevin
Good read - I have personally spoken with Chet and found him to be an interesting person. The book is packed with practical advise. I liked it a lot!
Cheryl
I never read business books for pleasure but I had to read this for work and so also had to suspend my certainty and open my mind (in other words, check my ego at the door). There's actually a lot of good stuff in here if you can get past the ego. Nothing really earth-shattering/mind altering but good solid sales and basic marketing stuff that unfortunately gets read, trained and then put on the back shelf. Remember it's always about the implementation. So whether you're just starting out or nee ...more
Frank Lindt
if you can avoid being irritated by the amount of capitalist gibberish this book might actually serve your business. If anything, it gives you ample of ideas on how you might be able to turn the tide when all else has failed. Only read with a Western mindset though because Holmes doesn't include any cultural analysis in his book
Kristen Blanchet keegan
A lot of great info in this book for anybody in sales.
Boyd Petersen
I read this book about once per year. Great info and Chet knows his stuff. I always get something more out of this book for sales.
Jens
Puh. Ja, recht amerikanisch und für den deutschen Markt nicht uneingeschränkt brauchbar, aber ein paar Erkenntnisse sind schon dabei, die ich auch nutzen werde...
mpsiple
The book is really geared toward a growing your business through what Holmes calls "educational marketing," and as an insurance salesman, there wasn't a ton of application for me. But the first three chapters (on time management, training and procedures, and having effective meetings) have my ink all over them. I would recommend the first three chapters for anyone that would like to improve the efficiency of their own work or the organization they're a part of.

This is probably the worst title ev
Jessica
Good client examples/case studies and concise points that were mostly easy to incorporate into my daily work schedule. The two that have stuck with me: Make a list for yourself of 6 things you're going to do each day. You'll only get six done anyway and you want to prioritize which 6 those are at the beginning of the day. Second, hire rockstars. You can tell a rockstar in an interview. Don't hire a good resume and a well-presented interview. Rockstars make good companies great.
Grant Weaver
This book is about high performance sales systems. As important as high performance sales skills are, without a good strategy and an air-tight sales system you won't make as much money as you could.

I particularly enjoyed the part on rejecting your potential sales reps as a filter for hiring superstars. If they don't try and overcome your rejection, then you probably don't want to hire them.

Jose Gonzalez
I love this book, it has an incredible metodology to sell more...
Car
Wow! This is an amazing book! I have read lots of sales material, since I am a sales trainer. This book is without question the best material I have ever read. For my full review, please click on my associated content article below:

Pascal Wagner

Phenominenal book that I plan the read again. Every section had actionable items. It is a book where you read a chapter and then implement what you learned. Definitely a must read EVEN if you have read other sales and marketing books. After putting some of his advice into practice, he is right - it's all about pig headed determination.
Tom
Read this book in about 2 hours. Pretty locgical info if you run a business. Stresses how to keep "Super-Star" employees. Wasn't a fan of the tactics mentioned in book. However because I'm a web geek I believe that cold calling and door-to-door sales is too old school for me. Best way to sell is a big web presense.
Travis Healy
Great book on advanced selling and business generation. Still has some old school stuff in it that I don't agree with - specifically putting one over on executive gate keepers(page 187). I'm not a fan of using borderline subversion tactics and implied intimidation to advance.

Overall, definitely worth the read...
Dave
Recommended by one of my clients. A great review of basic sales and marketing, particularly useful for small businesses where some of the needed elements are easily overlooked. You may not learn much new from this book, but you will certainly find things that you should go and do for your business immediately!
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • The Sales Bible: The Ultimate Sales Resource
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
Sell Anything!

“Use market data, not product data. Set the buying criteria in your favor. Find the “smoking gun,” the one thing that undeniably positions you over every one else. Make sure you hit their pain points. Include your own pitch for your product or ser vice only after you have covered the education thoroughly.” 1 likes
“If your product is shaving cream, you can use the headline, “The five things you’d better know about shaving and how many different ways it affects your body.” Plus, you can include tips on how to shave, the best ways to shave, and what every kid should know when it’s time to shave. Cover topics such as the structure of various shaving creams and the impact that shaving has on your skin. You could even give the history of shaving. When did it start? How did it start? Who started it? Get this: if you offer all this advice and plug that Web site every where you’re already promoting your product, the site becomes an information source that folks are going to send other folks to in order to get this information. So information-based marketing accelerates your reach and increases word-of-mouth” 1 likes