Guerrilla Gardening: A Manualfesto

Guerrilla Gardening: A Manualfesto

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The term “guerrilla” may bring to mind a small band of armed soldiers, moving in the dead of night on a stealth mission. In the case of guerrilla gardening, the soldiers are planters, the weapons are shovels, and the mission is to transform an abandoned lot into a thing of beauty. Once an environmentalist’s nonviolent direct action for inner-city renewal, this movement is...more
Published April 1st 2007 by New Society Publishers

Mo Tipton
This is a really entertaining, useful and important read. Tracey packs in loads of landscaping/gardening tips, political tidbits, advice on how to deal with city officials, and other essential know-how for the guerrilla gardener. The Q&A's with practicing guerrillas are very inspiring and instructive, and it's hard not to get the urge to start planting anywhere and everywhere after reading this book.

I also appreciated Tracey's discussion on "to ask or not to ask for permission," and I thoug...more
S Wobbegong
Hilarious and really informative. Full of tips and tricks for how to start your own 'projects' but wraps them up in a way that really gets you into the spirit of the notion. Brilliant book.
Frank
Fantastic book. Weaves ecology and politics together and has a load of fun doing it. I laughed more times reading this book than I can remember.

But most of all it's inspiring. We can change the screwed-up world one seed at a time. Now I'm a guerrilla gardening too and I can hardly wait to plant something.
Dean P.
Tracey brings a fun, sometimes tongue-in-cheek tone to the topic that he embraced years ago. It is a political "hot topic" in some senses and Tracey accomplishes the heady task of speaking to those with a variety of comfort levels with guerrilla gardening. Definitely one I will recommend to many friends.
Chad
May 11, 2008 Chad rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: DIY (sub)urban planners and green-thumbed anarchists.
Recommended to Chad by: Jennifer
Very funny and easy-to-read. Would be entertaining even to people uninterested in gardening. Even though the attitude is tongue in cheek, it provides very realistic ideas about how to deal with a blighted landscape.
Jane
Books on gardening should feature lots of colour photos. This book had few pictures and they were all black and white.

The book may have planted a seed though...
Hope Struck
Lexie got me this for Christmas, when she was scouting sites for her wedding to my brother--and I can't freakin wait to read it.
Elizabeth Hills
Best gardening book I've read so far. Definite must have for library.
Christy
Read this in one sitting. Couldn't put it down.
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Meesh
Meesh marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Ash Kumar
Ash Kumar marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Arthur Picerna
Arthur Picerna marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Karen Fleeman
Karen Fleeman marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Chift Pist
Chift Pist marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Ian
Ian added it
Nov 19, 2013
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Epadafunk
Epadafunk marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Linda Brennan
Linda Brennan marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Urban Agriculture: Ideas and Designs for the New Food Revolution The Miracle Tree The Mustard Seed