Start by marking “The Great Pagan Army” as Want to Read:
The Great Pagan Army

The Great Pagan Army

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This is the year 885 A.D., when a thundering army of hardened cutthroats, berserks and axmen trample its way across Western Europe, raping and pillaging at will. They are the Great Pagan Army—the largest array of Vikings ever assembled into one host. No army or city can resist them; no one dares… until a crippled young count finds an old Roman book on tactics.

With a handf
Published (first published July 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Pagan Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Pagan Army

Gerry Burnie
Nov 21, 2011 Gerry Burnie rated it really liked it
Gerry B's Book Reviews - http://gerrycan.wordpress.com

Author Vaughan Heppner has chosen a most interesting period in history as the setting for his novel, “The Great Pagan Army” [Amazon Digital Services, 2010]. Beginning in the 830s AD, the Vikings did indeed exploit internal divisions within Charlemagne’s empire, and several times attacked Paris—the last taking place during 885 – 886 AD.

The main chronicle of this siege is the “Bella Parisiacæ Urbis” (“Wars of the City of Paris”), the eye-witnes
Fred
Sep 05, 2011 Fred rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a great book that actually covered a very overlooked part of history here in America; the founding of France as a nation from the ashes of the Holy Roman Empire. I would encourage all my fellow history buffs out there to give this book a shot, and even better, give this writer a shot! He's sort of taking the eBook market by storm and he should have been published a LONG time ago. More reason why big publishing doesn't know their a** from a hole in the ground.
Hakan
May 30, 2012 Hakan rated it really liked it
Good and well-researched alternate-history story with frankish knights, Vikings and monks of the timeframe. Could have been a five-star but for the slightly over-hurried ending which left the impression that the author lost interest in describing the small human things in the life of the protagonists and instead just took the big broad brush of high-level political actions.
Ralph Halse
Jul 05, 2012 Ralph Halse rated it it was amazing
Heppner has delivered one of the better tales in the historical genre. His writing is not only a lateral view of this ancient world, it is peppered with high-quality dialogue, descriptions of places and filled with characters who leap off the page and into your imagination. Money well spent I reckon.
Jeremy Poole
Apr 08, 2012 Jeremy Poole rated it really liked it
Great historical fiction. I would and should have had five stars, but for the fact that I knew the ending, I love history.
Vikings, Franks and the church combine to make an enthralling read.
Steve
Jul 24, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Good read and nice historical fiction of viking invasion of Europe and Frankish knights
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Michael Hoyle
Michael Hoyle rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2016
Jody Maley
Jody Maley rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Jjbuffy2
Jjbuffy2 marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Malcolm Macleod
Malcolm Macleod rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Ben Van Kurin
Ben Van Kurin rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Jim Heavyside
Jim Heavyside marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Patrick Tays
Patrick Tays rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
R. Silva
R. Silva rated it did not like it
Mar 01, 2016
Kyle Brown
Kyle Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
karl f hehl jr
karl f hehl jr rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
David Fox
David Fox rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Paulette
Paulette marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Sergio Porto
Sergio Porto marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Cheryl Wilder
Cheryl Wilder rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Neil
Neil added it
Dec 08, 2015
Leticia Bonilla
Leticia Bonilla rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
mairead dunphy
mairead dunphy rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Dale
Dale marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Karl Emerson
Karl Emerson rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2015
Luiz Eduardo
Luiz Eduardo rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Matthew Michael
Matthew Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
You can visit Vaughn at www.vaughnheppner.com

I was born in Canada and remember as a small boy crawling in my snow-fort. I closed my eyes, and when I tried to open them, they were frozen shut. I didn't panic, but wiped away the ice crystals, unglued my eyes and kept on building my tunnel. Those were great days! I moved to Central California before seventh grade and couldn't believe I lived in a lan
More about Vaughn Heppner...