Start by marking “The Chronicle of Western Costume: From the Ancient World to the Late Twentieth Century” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Here, in more than one thousand full-color
illustrations, is the history of Western fashion,
from ancient Egypt to twentieth-century Paris.
John Peacock’s meticulous drawings are organized
in chronological sections and accompanied by
detailed descriptions of each figure, including the
individual items of costume shown and the many
types of fabric, cut, pattern, and colo
Published September 1st 2010 by Thames & Hudson (first published March 4th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicle of Western Costume, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicle of Western Costume

M. A. P.
Nice for quick reference in case you need to check the general style of a certain time period, but a poor choice for anything that requires deeper knowledge than that. Illustrations are all drawn - rather poorly. They may give an idea of the shapes, but not of details, construction, or materials. There is also very little text, making this one of the least informative fashion books I've seen to date (though to be fair, I have not read many). I think this might make for a fairly good reference bo ...more
Alessandra
Jun 29, 2012 Alessandra rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: costume, history
The Chronicle Of Western Costume: From The Ancient World To The Late Twentieth Century by John Peacock consists entirely of his drawings of modern fashion illustration figures wearing some simulacrum of historic costumes. There is almost no text, no source material, no explanation, no context, just modern drawings and dates. Every historic garment and fashion is warped onto a figure with modern fashion illustration ideals of shape and posture. There is no way to tell how things were made, or we ...more
Kristina
I loved the span of history in this book, it was much more in-depth than the other books by Mr. Peacock. But the drawings were less than detailed and poor examples were taken from each book. I would have preferred the detail from the other books that explain the fabrics and cuts in more depth.
Chelsea
Ata and I went through the book together and we loved looking at all of the different styles. I found the book to be poorly layer out, pictures under drawn, and I did think it showed enough of the clothes for the different time frames.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
I guess this is good for a quick reference if you have no idea about historical costumes. But there is not much info about the actual clothing and the illustrations doesnt show a good enough cross section of the different styles.
Ubalstecha
This is catalogue of drawings of the fashions of the west. Given that it covers the whole of recorded human history, there is not a lot of variation in the outfits. Good for the costume designer or fashion student.
Lindsay
Not the best fashion resource, since the renderings are hand-drawn (artists' representation). It is useful for getting a general sense of styles, though.
Riona
Got this as an xmas gift - the renderings are great and it looks like it will be an excellent resource.
PWRL
Apr 05, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Gisle Martin
Gisle Martin marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Carmen Jureschi
Carmen Jureschi marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Danieledantoni67
Danieledantoni67 marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ivana
Ivana added it
Nov 18, 2014
Danjela
Danjela marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Joelle
Joelle marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Melissa Ruwarashe
Melissa Ruwarashe marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Juana Jerreira
Juana Jerreira marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Liisa
Liisa added it
Sep 08, 2014
Ramarajan
Ramarajan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Priyadarshana Wijeratne
Priyadarshana Wijeratne marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Tina Marie
Tina Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Costume: 1066 to the Present 20th Century Fashion: The Complete Sourcebook Fashion Since 1900: The Complete Sourcebook Men's Fashion: The Complete Sourcebook Fashion Sourcebooks: The 1960s