Start by marking “Darkness Under the Sun” as Want to Read:
Darkness Under the Sun

Darkness Under the Sun (What The Night Knows 0.5)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  4,373 Ratings  ·  248 Reviews
The chilling account of a pivotal encounter between innocence and ultimate malice, 'Darkness Under the Sun' is the perfect read for Halloween — or for any haunted night — and reveals a secret, fateful turning point in the career of Alton Turner Blackwood, the killer at the dark heart of 'What the Night Knows', the forthcoming novel by #1 New York Times bestselling author D ...more
Published October 25th 2010 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Under the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Under the Sun

Maciek
Dec 06, 2011 Maciek rated it liked it
I was looking for something different to read last night, and found this novella. It's a prequel to Dean Koontz's What the Night Knows which I've read earlier this year, and didn't think much of. So, I approached this novella with little expectations, and maybe it was a good thing.

Darkness Under The Sun is about an eleven year old boy named Howie, who sees a strange man as he's eyeing an empty estate. Despite being scared, he talks to the man and the two form a friendship. And then the bad stuff
Calvin Dean
Feb 27, 2015 Calvin Dean rated it really liked it
Eleven-year-old Howie apparently likes exploring abandoned buildings. Once inside the old emporium, he climbs to the roof and stumbles upon Alton Blackwood. Howie and Alton share one characteristic: disfigurement, and they become fast friends. Howie doesn't understand why the entirety of a grown man's existence consists of moving from shadow to shadow. Youthful innocence prompts Howie to invite Alton to rent a room at his parents house. Went Howie runs home to prepare sandwiches and grab a few p ...more
wally
Dec 30, 2010 wally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz, favorites
this kid meets this older man on the rooftop of a building. the man, mr. blackwood, is reminiscent of a character in twilight eyes, also by koontz, in that he is disfigured, a misfit, as is the boy, howie. they become friends.

the story has a certain flavor for the first...pages?...naw, i read this on an amazon kindle that my wife gave me for christmas, the first i've read on this kindle...but for the first 10-20 pages, the story has a flavor...say vanilla and it goes down smooth...anyone who ha
Chris
Jul 13, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
This novella nestles nicely into the overall story of the novel "What the Night Knows" and I think enhances the story---giving it an even more emotional punch. I am aware that it was written to be a preface to the novel, but I felt it was more of an epilogue. Having read the novel first, I was able to appreciate this story of the genesis of the killer since I know where his madness eventually took him. Also, as the action in the novella both precedes and follows the action in the novel, it would ...more
Matt
Jan 01, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Elizabeth
May 03, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this novella. I usually enjoy Koontz' novels, so I was interested to see how satisfying this novella would be.
The story is told almost entirely from the perspective of a ten year old boy named Howie Dugley. Early on in the story, Howie meets a strange man on the rooftop of a building. Howie immediately feels a kinship to this man because he, like Howie, has physical deformities. I don't want to give too much away, so I'll just say the rest of the story unfolds with the read
Gail
Jun 05, 2012 Gail rated it really liked it
Read by Steven Weber, I listened to this story on my iPod. This one is creepy scarry and made more so because the situation is entirely possible. It is set in 1989, and is about an 11yr old boy who goes to a secluded place by himself to watch people. The boy is scarred by burns and the other kids tease and bully him, so he preferrs to be alone. He meets a deformed and scarred homeless man in an abandoned building and decides this man is his friend. The rest is left to your imagination unless you ...more
Terri
A young boy who has faced many challenges in his life already, meets a strange man in an abandoned building and befriends him, not knowing the horror the man leaves in his wake.

Koontz does a good job conveying the loneliness and innocence of a child in contrast to the evil within the sociopath. The story is both horrifying and sad.
La Toya
May 22, 2013 La Toya rated it really liked it
Ok I'm a bug scaredy cat and this was a fine read. The ending was a bit anti-climactic but I'm okay with that since I cant handle all the scary stuff.
Tim
Feb 28, 2013 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Oct 19, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: dean-koontz
After bagging Dean Koontz in my last review, I now go ahead and give him 4 stars! This was an excellent novella, essentially a prequel (though also a stand-alone story) to What the Night Knows.

It's a wonderfully creepy little book, detailing Alton Blackwood (the villian in the WTNK)'s encounter with a young boy, which led to his decision to move from killing single individuals to entire families. I don't think Koontz was entirely successful in conveying how exactly this encounter led to Blackwo
Amanda Tanay
Jun 29, 2011 Amanda Tanay rated it it was amazing
After not reading for a while, I chose this novella that I had purchased for my Kindle some time ago because I love Koontz and figured the length would be perfect for getting back into reading every night. It only took me two nights because once I would start reading I didn't put it down until I truly needed sleep.

Koontz does a great job of moving the story along with vivid description and a major creep factor. His dialogue between the two main characters in this novella is beyond perfect. He ea
D. Wayne Moore
Sep 10, 2013 D. Wayne Moore rated it it was amazing
This is indeed another terrifyingly enjoyable story from the master of the unexpected. As usual, I was hooked on it from beginning to end. In it, a bullied young boy, disfigured by fire, finally meets a friend and patron in the form of an equally scared, but kindly, old man. But, as you might've guessed with Koontz, things are not always as they first appear. So, while you're waiting for the hammer to drop, Koontz weaves an intricately crafted tale of horror and mystery that culminates with an u ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I originally read this as an ebook in 2010 and listened to the audiobook in 2012. I really like this little story; I believe it is much better than the than the novel which it preceded & promoted - What The Night Knows.

Ever since I bought the audiobook on CD in 2012, I have enjoyed listening to the story every year. Alton Turner Blackwood is such a good friend.

Note: in 2016 I did re-read What The Night Knows and developed a greater appreciation for the novel.
Kirsten
Sep 04, 2012 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Really fast read, I finished it inbetween my phone calls at work within like 2 hours. However, it was a great quick short read. I know it's not that close to Halloween yet, but Halloween is my favorite holiday, this book put me in more of an excited mood for Halloween. It really is a perfect fall/Halloween quick read. Normally, I'd write a review. But there are so many other reviews that explain it...lol. I just wanted to give my input that it was a great read.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
My first taste of Koontz and I can't say I liked it. The excerpt from the killer's journal at the beginning and the closing paragraph were the best things about this story. It was slow and it wasn't nearly as horrific or as creepy as I thought it would be. The ending sucked and it just dragged...on...and on...and...on...
Gloria Johnson
Apr 20, 2014 Gloria Johnson rated it liked it
I needed a very short book and chose this one. The characters are well-drawn and the setting is interesting. The problem for me is that it was TOO short, which did not provide enough space for real character and plot development.
Danell
Jun 25, 2013 Danell rated it really liked it
Listened to this on audio book, good story and characters. Would like to read the story, I get more wrapped up in the story, reading it myself than listening to it.
Amy
Jan 16, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
This short story is much better than the novel which it prequels. Read this, skip What the Night Knows.
Emily
Oct 26, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I liked this, good lead off for his next book, What the Night Knows, which I will be reading for sure after this tidbit!
Adria
Jan 02, 2011 Adria rated it it was amazing
Great short story by Dean Koontz, one of my favorite authors! Can't wait to read the full novel that that is is a prequel to!
Brett McNeill
Nov 28, 2010 Brett McNeill rated it it was ok
I can't remember if I had ever read a Dean Koontz before and picked this up on special at Amazon. It was well written, but very creepy (especially the first half).
Becky
Oct 30, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing
A great short, horror story you can in just a few hours.... especially at Halloween!

I'm not writing a thing because it could be a spoiler! I borrowed this as an ebook from my library. I should return this, maybe a neighbor wants to read it!

Kelly
Nov 28, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it
Chills down the spine. First you think poor Howie, to live through what he has already lived through, then to come face to face with evil incarnate and still manage to survive. Now I have to read the book.
Nolan
Dec 25, 2016 Nolan rated it did not like it
Shelves: nls-audio
this was an entirely unappropriate book to read on Christmas Day. Probably not much better the rest of the year. A little short a little lacking as far as I'm concerned.
Anne
Oct 27, 2016 Anne rated it liked it
Short story. A bit eerie. Could not predict the initial flow of things.
The BookChick
Book Description:
There once was a killer who knew the night, its secrets and rhythms. How to hide within its shadows. When to hunt.

He roamed from town to town, city to city, choosing his prey for their beauty and innocence. His cruelties were infinite, his humanity long since forfeit. But still . . . he had not yet discovered how to make his special mark among monsters, how to come fully alive as Death.

This is the story of how he learned those things, and of what we might do to ensure that he
Amy Sherman
I thought this shorter story was better than some of of the full length novels I have read by Dean Koontz. I did listen to the audiobook of the novel that this story connects to, but I was having difficulty connecting it at first.
Vera VB
Apr 16, 2016 Vera VB rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Dit korte boek bevat twee kortverhalen.
Howie Dugley is tien en verminkt als gevolg van een brand, een brand veroorzaakt door zijn vader, opzettelijk. Howie mist twee vingers en de linkerkant van zijn gezicht is verminkt. Daardoor draait hij meestal de rechterkant van zijn gezicht naar mensen, draagt hij een petje en kijk mensen niet aan. Hij wordt gepest door andere kinderen. Op een dag zit hij op het dak van een oud verlaten gebouw en ontmoet daar een grote enge man, Blackwood. Deze man leidt e
Joanne
Jan 22, 2013 Joanne rated it liked it
This was a good Dean Koontz short read - perfect for bedtime reading!

Howie Dugley has been through a lot in his short life. Suffering from the loss of two fingers and disfiguring scarring after being in a fire, he feels like an outcast and is tired of being picked on by other kids or stared at by adults. He has a secret place he can go, though, to watch people while not being a part of their world - an abandoned 3-story department building. Up on the roof he can watch the "parade," as he thinks
Koontzland - Dean...: Darkness Under the Sun (Group Read - April 2014) 42 79 Mar 23, 2014 07:17PM
  • The Haunted Earth
  • Children of the Storm
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Dragonfly
  • House of Reckoning
  • Life Is Good: Lessons in Joyful Living
  • Beautiful Death: Art of the Cemetery

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

What The Night Knows (2 books)
  • What the Night Knows

“There's always a parade, Howie. When it's something you can't ever join but only watch, then it's a parade” 7 likes