Start by marking “In the Time of Bobby Cox: The Atlanta Braves, Their Manager, My Couch, Two Decades, and Me” as Want to Read:

Bobby Cox has now hung up his spikes, leaving behind an unparalleled tenure as one of the most successful managers of all time. Known throughout baseball as a player’s manager, the legendary skipper has endeared himself to all who love the game. His constancy has been an anomaly in this fickle sports era, and In the Time of Bobby Cox is Lang Whitaker’s heartfelt exploratio ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Scribner (first published February 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In the Time of Bobby Cox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Time of Bobby Cox

James
Apr 04, 2012 James rated it did not like it
Shelves: baseball
Memoirs are a tricky genre. Best seller lists are typically chock full of them, though those same hot titles will undoubtedly find their way into the discount bin if you give them enough time. Tina Fey's Bossypants will come and go, as will the new releases by Sammy Hagar, Barbara Eden, and Shirley MacLaine. A quick book tour to dust off the cobwebs of their popularity, then back to the land of has-beens for most of these "authors."

When a memoirist doesn't have celebrity to sell, they need a hoo
Jeramey
Aug 13, 2011 Jeramey rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
I'm not a Braves fan, so I wasn't sure if this was the book for me. On top of that, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the history of the Braves.

Turns out, I didn't need to be either to enjoy this book. The book is as much about Lang's journey into adulthood as it is about the Braves, which made it an easier read than just a straight Braves history book.

I found myself engaged in the book, but it's not something I'm going to be telling everyone I know to read (my 5-star rating standard). I'm n
Mr. Rubenstein
Mar 06, 2011 Mr. Rubenstein rated it it was amazing
I might be ever so slightly biased because I was a protege of the author's for 4 years, but I loved this book! Occasionally heartfelt, often funny, and always insightful, I had thought I had heard every story Lang had to tell (numerous times), but I learned a lot about the man.
I may also be biased because as a Mets fan, I have cultivated a burning hatred for Bobby Cox, Chipper Jones, Smoltzie, Frenchie (the Brave and Met), Glavine (Even more as a Met than a Brave), and so on. Still, I was able
fleegan
Jul 06, 2011 fleegan rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
First of all, this isn’t a book about Bobby Cox or the Atlanta Braves. It’s a memoir where these two things are featured. And the book points this out first thing, so it’s not like you’re being duped into reading it.

It was an okay read. It would be like if I wrote about being a Yankees fan and also shared parts of my life. See? Kind of boring unless you’re one of my friends or family. That’s the problem with this book.

Also, the ending. There’s really not one. I bet the author really struggled wi
lvwoolf
This guy is a magazine editor, a few years younger than me - writing, obviously, about the good old times. He's funny and enjoyable. But I got more than a bit bored when he wrote about his life. I understand what he was trying to do (it's a memoir, not a history of the Braves) - just would have preferred him to stick more with his reflections of the Braves and less on his own. Call me selfish, as I read this book when I was attempting to make my comeback as a fan of the game. His book seems to h ...more
Rachel Lantz
Mar 15, 2014 Rachel Lantz rated it really liked it
I lost count of how many times I laughed out loud while reading this book. The author has a way of making even the most prosaic of baseball stories humorous, but there is no denying everything he says about the Braves coaches and players is true. If anyone is looking for a nostalgic stroll through the glory years of Bobby Cox and the Braves, this is the book for you. This Braves fan misses those years and especially Bobby and Chipper!
Kyle Eaton
Dec 30, 2015 Kyle Eaton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball
Great nostalgic read. I too grew up watching the Braves on the superstation and feel forever intertwined with Bobby Cox. Furthermore, the Braves will always be a connection I share with my grandfather. Whereas this is not a Bobby Cox biography, it really does not claim to be if you read the author's description. It is wonderful read on how following a team can impact one's life and reach into your history. A must read for all true Braves fans.
Sarit Schneider
May 28, 2014 Sarit Schneider rated it liked it
The book was entertaining and had great facts about Bobby Cox and the history of the Braves. I enjoyed the author's personal stories also, but they did not seem to match up with the titles of each chapter or anything that was going on with the Braves. Overall the book was enjoyable but a bit awkwardly written.
Jeff
Oct 27, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it
It's great to read a book from a fan's perspective. Especially, when the book is about your favorite team. Shared many of the same fan experiences as the author, along with the everyday experiences. I didn't always make the connection between the two, but overall is a solid contribution to the history of the Braves.
David
Aug 30, 2011 David rated it really liked it
This is a fun read for any fan of the Atlanta Braves of the Bobby Cox era. The book goes back and forth with some of the key players impact on the team and then what was going on in the authors life at the time. A quick and entertaining read.
Jim Trela
Dec 30, 2016 Jim Trela rated it liked it
Fun baseball loving book
Frank Taranto
May 25, 2011 Frank Taranto rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, baseball
An interesting look at one man's love affair with the Atlanta Braves. As a sports nut, I enjoyed his stories and understood how he could relate his life to his favorite baseball team.
Donald Hunter
Donald Hunter rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Jon Barber
Jon Barber rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2017
Jeff Jordan
Jeff Jordan rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Joey
Joey rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2011
Brent Lipinski
Brent Lipinski rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2011
Reba
Reba rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Daniel Dowling
Daniel Dowling rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2016
Selena Hill
Selena Hill rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2013
Stefan Gosey
Stefan Gosey rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Daniel Kolle
Daniel Kolle rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Lang Whitaker
Lang Whitaker rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Betty
Betty rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2011
Stoney Setzer
Stoney Setzer rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2017