Start by marking “In the Time of Bobby Cox: The Atlanta Braves, Their Manager, My Couch, Two Decades, and Me” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Bobby Cox has now hung up his spikes, leaving behind an unparalleled tenure as one of the most successful managers of all time. Known throughout baseball as a player’s manager, the legendary skipper has endeared himself to all who love the game. His constancy has been an anomaly in this fickle sports era, and In the Time of Bobby Cox is Lang Whitaker’s heartfelt exploratio ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Scribner (first published February 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In the Time of Bobby Cox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Time of Bobby Cox

James
Memoirs are a tricky genre. Best seller lists are typically chock full of them, though those same hot titles will undoubtedly find their way into the discount bin if you give them enough time. Tina Fey's Bossypants will come and go, as will the new releases by Sammy Hagar, Barbara Eden, and Shirley MacLaine. A quick book tour to dust off the cobwebs of their popularity, then back to the land of has-beens for most of these "authors."

When a memoirist doesn't have celebrity to sell, they need a hoo
Jeramey
I'm not a Braves fan, so I wasn't sure if this was the book for me. On top of that, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the history of the Braves.

Turns out, I didn't need to be either to enjoy this book. The book is as much about Lang's journey into adulthood as it is about the Braves, which made it an easier read than just a straight Braves history book.

I found myself engaged in the book, but it's not something I'm going to be telling everyone I know to read (my 5-star rating standard). I'm n
Rachel Lantz
I lost count of how many times I laughed out loud while reading this book. The author has a way of making even the most prosaic of baseball stories humorous, but there is no denying everything he says about the Braves coaches and players is true. If anyone is looking for a nostalgic stroll through the glory years of Bobby Cox and the Braves, this is the book for you. This Braves fan misses those years and especially Bobby and Chipper!
Mr. Rubenstein
I might be ever so slightly biased because I was a protege of the author's for 4 years, but I loved this book! Occasionally heartfelt, often funny, and always insightful, I had thought I had heard every story Lang had to tell (numerous times), but I learned a lot about the man.
I may also be biased because as a Mets fan, I have cultivated a burning hatred for Bobby Cox, Chipper Jones, Smoltzie, Frenchie (the Brave and Met), Glavine (Even more as a Met than a Brave), and so on. Still, I was able
Sarit Schneider
The book was entertaining and had great facts about Bobby Cox and the history of the Braves. I enjoyed the author's personal stories also, but they did not seem to match up with the titles of each chapter or anything that was going on with the Braves. Overall the book was enjoyable but a bit awkwardly written.
lvwoolf
This guy is a magazine editor, a few years younger than me - writing, obviously, about the good old times. He's funny and enjoyable. But I got more than a bit bored when he wrote about his life. I understand what he was trying to do (it's a memoir, not a history of the Braves) - just would have preferred him to stick more with his reflections of the Braves and less on his own. Call me selfish, as I read this book when I was attempting to make my comeback as a fan of the game. His book seems to h ...more
fleegan
First of all, this isn’t a book about Bobby Cox or the Atlanta Braves. It’s a memoir where these two things are featured. And the book points this out first thing, so it’s not like you’re being duped into reading it.

It was an okay read. It would be like if I wrote about being a Yankees fan and also shared parts of my life. See? Kind of boring unless you’re one of my friends or family. That’s the problem with this book.

Also, the ending. There’s really not one. I bet the author really struggled wi
Jeff
It's great to read a book from a fan's perspective. Especially, when the book is about your favorite team. Shared many of the same fan experiences as the author, along with the everyday experiences. I didn't always make the connection between the two, but overall is a solid contribution to the history of the Braves.
David
This is a fun read for any fan of the Atlanta Braves of the Bobby Cox era. The book goes back and forth with some of the key players impact on the team and then what was going on in the authors life at the time. A quick and entertaining read.
Frank Taranto
An interesting look at one man's love affair with the Atlanta Braves. As a sports nut, I enjoyed his stories and understood how he could relate his life to his favorite baseball team.
Nick  Fischlein
Nick Fischlein marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Christopher Sloce
Christopher Sloce marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Jack Gaynor
Jack Gaynor marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Lauren Arfman
Lauren Arfman is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2014
travis
travis marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Jaq
Jaq is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Maximum Limp Bizkit: The Unauthorised Biography of Limp Bizkit Maximum Sugar Ray: The Unauthorised Biography of Sugar Ray SLAM Kicks: Basketball Sneakers that Changed the Game