Start by marking “Holding the Dream” as Want to Read:
Holding the Dream

Holding the Dream (Dream Trilogy #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  17,733 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews
The second book of Nora Roberts successul Dream trilogy. Orphaned at the age of eight Kate Powell was raised by the Templetons, and has a gamine woman with a head for figures.
Published January 1st 1997 by Jove Books (first published 1996)

Maureen
Mar 28, 2011 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I somehow have misplaced this one - I know that I own books one and three of this trilogy, but couldn't find this one. So I was super excited to get a copy of this from Flannery when I was visiting this week. (thanks Flan!)

Like most Nora books, this one has a great family - these people are all so real, and so likeable. Kate is a super ambitious accountant, with all the stress and anxiety of a person who keeps all her emotions locked up. Byron, despite his unfortunate name, is a perfect foil fo
Makenzie
I really loved this book. Perhaps it's because, at times, I could see a part of myself in Kate, The tomboyish, practical, sarcastic member of the trio. I made a similar decision in my own career, and I absolutely love the dynamic between Kate and Byron. Me, personally, I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the investigation. It seemed to wrap up a bit too quickly for me, but overall, I liked the book a lot. I really hope there's a decent amount of Kate and Byron in the third book. I want ...more
Mistery
Kate Powell é a personagem com que mais de identifiquei até agora. O seu romance com Byron DeWitt é extremamente improvável e, ao mesmo tempo, são dos casais com mais química que encontrei na literatura. Adoro!
Alex is The Romance Fox
Holding the Dream, the 2nd book in Nora Roberts Dream series continues with the story of Kate Powell, cousin and adopted daughter of the Templeton family.

Kate is smart, focused, totally goal-orientated and practical and nothing like the beautiful and glamorous Margo, who we met in Daring to Dream, now happily married to Josh and expecting their baby and not a dreamer like the sweet Laura, who finally divorced her cheating and thief of a husband and struggling with bringing up her two beautiful d
Elena
Overall - an ok book... However, I liked it much, much less than the first one. Even though Margo (heroine from the first book) was selfish and annoying at times - I liked her much more than Kate. Kate seemed like a TSTL (too-stupid-to-live) heroine, that kept "cutting off her nose to spite her face". She constantly made bad choices and said stupid things, while trying to prove herself! All she ended up proving was that she was neurotic, self-centered, and undeserving of an amazing guy such as B ...more
Cata
Mar 11, 2012 Cata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestados, 2012
Kate Powell tinha tudo planeado. Ser a melhor aluna do secundário. Ir para Harvard tirar a licenciatura de contabilidade. Entrar na Bittle&Associates. Começar por baixo e subir na carreira até ser sócia da empresa.
E trabalhou para isso. Trabalhou muito e estava quase a consegui-lo... até uma revelação do seu passado destruir as bases do seu mundo e até ter sido acusada injustamente de peculato.
E nesse momento, Kate vê o seu mundo ruir sem conseguir reagir.

Sentindo-se culpada e envergonhada,
Laura V.
Le tenía poca simpatía a esta serie, empecé por el tercero, la historia de Laura, y no me gustaron nada el trío de amigas. Pero este es de los pocos libros que no he leído de Roberts entre los que había en la biblioteca, así que me lo llevé.

Me gustó. No me voló la cabeza porque:

1) El "misterio" es lo más obvio que he leído.
2) La pareja tenía buena química, pero poco sabemos de Byron,
3) Kate terminó involucionando.

Me pareció sentir que Kate crecía como personaje, que iba a soltándose un poco má
Jimmyjane
Jan 16, 2008 Jimmyjane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cotton-candy
I love the Templeton girls. They're not sisters by blood, they don't share the same last name, but they grew up together, they run a store together and they're the best of friends, and now they feel like friends of mine.

This is the second book in the Trilogy, Kate's story, and I think I like it best so far. I haven't read Laura's story, the final one, but Byron De Witt from this book is the frontrunner for being my favorite guy of the series- the man, with the lavish descriptions of his physique
Thenia
The story of Kate, the practical, down to earth third of the trio, and Byron de Witt, a southern gentleman with whom she shares a strong attraction.

Kate behaves too much like an idiot for a supposedly smart woman, insisting that she can handle all her problems on her own, pushing the people who love and want to help her away and wallowing in self pity among other things.

Byron is a bit manipulative, used to solving problems and handling people, and that pushes Kate's buttons since she insists tha
Grace
3.5 stars again.

I liked this a lot, but at the same time I wanted to like the romance more than I did. I don't know why I didn't. I am having a weird week on pretty much every level.

Some comments:
-Southern boy named Byron would have made even more sense if he were Byron something something the third.
-Of course his dogs' names are Nip and Tuck. My brother used to name all of his stuffed animals after medicine. The original was Motrin. My other favorite was Zithromax. (He was not yet five years ol
Aline
Jul 28, 2009 Aline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Orphaned at the age of eight, Kate Powell was raised by the Templetons, and has vowed never to disappoint them. She's sharp, smart, a gamine woman with a head for figures.

But her world is turned upside down when a secret from her late father's past comes to light and then she's accused of embezzling from the accounting firm she works for. To top it off, she's got Byron DeWitt, a new executive working for Templeton, breathing down her neck.

Determined to ignore her problems, Kate throws herself in
Bridget
I am not going to review every Nora Roberts book that I have read in the past because she is quite prolific and it would get redundant and I honestly cannot remember all the plots. I think someone finds someone else attractive but at least one cannot admit it so there is sexual tension, then lots of sex, and then they live happily ever after? Sometimes there is some magic , a family legacy, or a mystery. Certainly not great works of literature (however still 100% better than “the grapes of wrath ...more
Maria
Aug 22, 2009 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The second book in the trilogy of the Tempelton Sisters. I think it was better than the first book. I liked the characters much better. Kate was an accountant and not a model so she was more connected to real life and Byron managed hotels. You got a glimpse of the working day of both persons, and I enjoyed that. I also liked the mystery story about Kates father and embezzlement.

I wouldnt mind finding a gorgeous man that can cook and could be my personal trainer in his own gym. So I dont think I
Sara
Oct 12, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Nora Roberts, even though this book was published when I was in fourth grade, you can never fail to please. I did figure out the antagonist/villain right from the beginning, though, which doesn't usually happen with NR books (maybe she's just gotten better at writing intrigue in the last 15 years). The heroine was also a bit stubborn and argumentative for my taste, but Nora Roberts heroines do tend to run in that direction. And it's better by far than a heroine who's simply TSTL.
Jeanne
May 23, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like one of the "sisters" as I read the second book in Nora Robert's trilogy. This is actually the second book in the series but it didn't detract from the plot by reading it out of order. I like how Nora Roberts developed the romantic side of the story amidst Kate's accusation of embezzlement that totally threw her for a loop.
Carla Faleiro
Muito giro! A estória da teimosa Kate não desiludiu.
Dentro do género romântico, Nora Roberts é sem dúvida das melhores. Os livros cheios de romance, personagem com humor e algum mistério à mistura.
Este segundo volume da Trilogia Sonho tem tudo isso.
Dorothy Morawsky
Thoroughly written to bring Kates story to fulfill the deepest crevices of your imagination. Nora Roberts brings the story to life start to finished. You feel yourself being absorbed into the storyline.
Kelly Van den Broecke
dit deel is niet mijn ding. ik geraakte er moeilijk door. ik vond het soms wat langdradig. ik had ook iets meer actie of avontuur verwacht. ik heb al betere boeken van haar gelezen.
Delmoitie Annelies
Jan 20, 2017 Delmoitie Annelies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
lovely
Jessica
Jan 09, 2017 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing, yawn, own
Overall, I didn't like this one nearly as much as the first or the third. I didn't like the main characters, and thought the female was too idiotic for words and thought the male was overbearing and unlikable. I guess it's fine for others, and I understand that some people would like it. It just wasn't for me. I was too excited for the third book to enjoy this one I think.

On the plus side, it is still better than a lot of Nora's more recent work.
Darlene
Mar 15, 2015 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good continuance of the Dream Trilogy. This one focused on Kate, who came to live with the Templetons as a child when her parents were killed. Raised as their child, given all the opportunities one could want. Kate always went above the average person in school, graduating ahead of schedule, going to college. She wanted everyone to be proud of her. After she graduated college, she went to work in a firm as an accountant. There, she worked long hours, bringing in many new clients, making the firm ...more
Mi Mi
Nov 30, 2013 Mi Mi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am currently on page 150. Kate finally found the love of her life. Byron is a very nice gentleman who helped her get through her hardship. She was building herself up with the help from her family and Byron. She started to gain confidence to fight back one again. Even though she likes Byron, she seem to be in a hard time to get into a committed relationship despite their sexual intention for each other.

I am at the point where its almost the end of the book. At this point, Kate is under invest
Pooja
May 25, 2016 Pooja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Since I just finished this book, I have to say, what a baffling ending. It just...stopped.

Anyway, so was a bunch of the rest of this book. Nora Roberts usually has a knack for writing excellent characters that truly make you feel for or at least appreciate their personalities since you can sometimes relate. This series so far has not done this.

This second Dreams novel focuses on Kate Powell and Byron De Witt's relationship, which was better to read than Margo and Josh's. At least one of these
Hobby

Books “MENGGAPAI IMPIAN”
Judul Asli : HOLDING THE DREAM
( book 2 of the DREAM TRILOGY )
Copyright 1997 by Nora Roberts
Penerbit Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Alih Bahasa : Nurkinanti Laraskusuma
Cover by Marcel A.W.
Cetakan I : Maret 2004 2003 ; 480 hlm
Rate : 4 of 5

Kate Powell berhutang budi kepada pasangan Templeton yang telah membawa serta mengasuh dirinya denga penuh kasih sayang, mempertemukan dirinya dengan Josh serta Laura, kakak-kakak yang menyayangi dirinya, serta Margo yang suka sekali usil dan meng
Sara ♥
July 16-19, 2016

Kate, Kate, Kate.

First of all, the 1996 technology was GREAT. I mean, she has a ROLODEX!!! SERIOUSLY! So fantastic!

Anyway, I REALLY LOVED Byron! Kate has so much going on and she just bottles it all in, but for some reason, she can unload on Byron... and being able to talk to the other person is a GREAT basis for a relationship. So much better than the wow-the-sexual-attraction-is-off-the-charts-but-we-have-nothing-else-going-for-us crap that's so common today. And he was just
Amy Mota
Aug 31, 2011 Amy Mota rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maura
 Mary

Segundo libro de la trilogía.
Kate Powell es un contadora graduada de Harvard que trabaja en una prestigiosa compañía financiera en camino a ser socia. Kate fue adoptada por los Templeton a los 8 años luego de quedar huérfana, lo que la convierte en la hermana de Josh y Laura. Es una mujer muy meticulosa y calculadora, todo tiene que estar planeado y calculado, típica personalidad A. Todo se vuelve de cabeza cuando Kate es culpada de robo a sus clientes y cuando a la persona en la que termina c
Taylor Grace
Jan 08, 2015 Taylor Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a huge fan of this book. I know it's only part two and some times those middle books tend to sag, but this one shone.

It's by Nora Roberts, so it was incredibly well written. There was witty dialogue and the characters were awesome but, if I'm honest, the big hit with me was the heroine, Kate Powell.

Kate is a woman after my own heart mostly because she's a lot like me. She's determined to rescue herself (I might defer there. I love a well-timed rescue), she's hard working, a bit bookish, ne
Rie_dominique

firstread : 2004

re-read : 18-19/12/2013

sejak kecil Kate selalu penuh perhitungan. ia menjadwalkan semua hal dalam kehidupan dan mengikuti rencana-renaca-nya dengan patuh. tamat sekolah lebih cepat, kuliah di harvard, kerja di perusahaan akuntan publik dan menjadi partner setelah sekian tahun.

tapi beberapa bulan belakangan ini rencana-rencana Kate seperti keluar dari jalurnya. Ia mendapati bahwa ternyata ayahnya dituduh melakukan penggelapan beberapa hari sebelum ia meninggal dalam kecelakaan. da
Nora Roberts Grou...: Holding the Dream (July 2014 Book of the Month) 23 26 Jul 11, 2014 11:12AM
Am-Lit 2013: This topic has been closed to new comments. Brief Summary 2 5 Aug 25, 2013 06:48AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Reunion in Death (In Death, #14)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Magnolia Moon (Callahan Brothers, #3)
  • Dawn in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 2)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...

Dream Trilogy (3 books)
  • Daring to Dream (Dream Trilogy, #1)
  • Finding the Dream (Dream Trilogy #3)

“You're not beautiful," he said in a quiet statement that made her brow knit. "Why do you look beautiful when you're not?” 4 likes
“Circumstances change. Bend or break...” 2 likes