Selected Short Stories

Selected Short Stories

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  12 reviews
“John O’Hara’s fiction,” wrote Lionel Trilling, “is preeminent for its social verisimilitude.” Made famous by his bestselling novels, including BUtterfield 8 and Appointment in Samarra, O’Hara (1905–1970) also wrote some of the finest short fiction of the twentieth century.

First published by the Modern Library in 1956, Selected Short Stories of John O’Hara displays the aut...more
Published March 11th 2003 by Modern Library (first published 1980)

The Boy I Love by Marion HusbandThe Black Monk by Anton ChekhovThe Great Frustration by Seth FriedThe Alexander Trilogy by Mary RenaultNot So Quiet... by Helen Zenna Smith
REALLY Seriously Underrated Books
28th out of 770 books — 135 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Wind in the Willows by Kenneth GrahameAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëHamlet by William Shakespeare
The Modern Library Classics
89th out of 101 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellis L.
O'Hara is hailed as one of the masters of the short story and, okay, he paints a good picture. But when all you are is a sketch artist, there's only so much I can admire and only so many sketches I can take at a sitting. I think maybe if I were a New York native, and if I were reading his stories the way they were meant to be read, every week or month in a magazine, then I might have had a different reaction.

The main thing here is that there's no character development. They're all vignettes. The...more
Barfoo
Spent junior high & high school years as a western PA transplant between 1972 & 1981. O'hara's observations about PA & western PA - wow. A very very small "elite" & elite wannabees - oh yeah. ;) (foxrun foxtrot got the trots...) NAMING your absolutely zero special mcmansion - are you serious???

Some things never change? God, I do hope.

In that era - PA steel was shutting down. 50% or better population left? Worth a mention to the kiddies at the time - Nah. The entire PA population...more
Thing Two
John O'Hara wrote short stories. In his lifetime he had over 200 of them published in The New Yorker, those short filler stories sandwiched between lengthier articles. This collection of 13 is a wonderful example of his gift.

O'Hara wrote about what he knew - small town life, WWII, and the invisible social caste of the US. He is a master of recording dialogue, and creating swift stories that end dramatically. And once I saw Dorothy Parker had written a blurb for him on the cover, I was hooked.

Jim
Though the introduction to this book credits O'Hara with having written stories that capture the speech of the characters and remain fresh though written quite some time ago, my feeling as I plodded my way through was that I'd read enough of his stories many years ago and shouldn't have bothered to bring this collection home. I just couldn't rid myself of the thought that perhaps - at least for the time being - I'd read enough fiction and should branch out a little.
Bob Peru
glad to see that john o'hara is now getting the respect he deserves (again). seems like penguin is reprinting some of his work. it'd be especially good to see the gibbsville stories in one big volume back in print. or even the library of america giving o'hara the full treatment. his work is canonical. american stylee.

with maughamian endings.
Renae
Aug 04, 2011 Renae added it
I didn't read them all.. all of the short stories. The ones I read, well.. one I read was somewhat ironic. Another one was confusing; I think there may have been implicit drug use, possibly prostitution? mafia relations perhaps. Nothing too exciting.
Chris
This year's beach reading. The style took me a few stories before I really got into it, but he's one of those short story writers the sum of whose stories add up greater than the parts. Plus I'm on a learn about Philly history kick.
Jeff
These short stories are brief and refreshing. Like photographs, although some are so obscure and objective I can hardly tell what's going on. A great way to clean your mind.
Niki
John O'Hara is a worthy read. His short fiction far outpaces his novels, but he is funny and weird and I really like him.
Gary Lee
O'Hara is an underappreciated, and oft-overlooked, part of great American literature.
Monty J Heying
Mostly plot-driven stories. The characters didn't draw me in.
Eric
I have the hardcover
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Justreapor
Justreapor marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Emalee
Emalee marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
سعيد السيابي
سعيد السيابي marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Shauni De Gussem
Shauni De Gussem is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2014
Bhola Malviya
Bhola Malviya marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Mily
Mily marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Peter Derk
Peter Derk marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
John Paul
John Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Joanne
Joanne added it
Feb 17, 2014
John Henry O'Hara was an American writer born in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. He initially became known for his short stories and later became a best-selling novelist whose works include Appointment in Samarra and BUtterfield 8. He was particularly known for an uncannily accurate ear for dialogue. O'Hara was a keen observer of social status and class differences, and wrote frequently about the social...more
More about John O'Hara...
Appointment in Samarra BUtterfield 8 From the Terrace Ten North Frederick A Rage to Live