Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)

Enshadowed (Nevermore #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  4,223 ratings  ·  710 reviews
True love takes a twisted turn in the second book of this modern gothic romance trilogy channeling the dark brilliance of Edgar Allan Poe.

Varen Nethers is trapped in a perilous dreamworld—a treacherous and desolate realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Isobel Lanley, plagued by strange visions and haunted by the nightmares of Varen's creation,...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about Enshadowed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enshadowed

Can't Wait Books of 2012
45th out of 2,499 books — 15,921 voters
YA Novels of 2012
31st out of 1,256 books — 10,027 voters

More lists with this book...

Hayden Casey
I'm going to write this review in the form of a letter because I think Ms. Creagh deserves a letter because I LIKE LETTERS so here you go:

Dear Kelly Creagh,

I would tell you that I love you, but I'm not sure how tolerant you are of creepiness.

So, instead, I'll just tell you that
Enshadowed made me cry and slobber and squeal and scream and also made me throw it across the room.

Maybe that'll be an adequate expression of my love for you, without me directly informing you of my predicament.

I began
En...more
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)
This is how I felt before reading this book:

"How am I expected to wait that long?? FML, someone should change the date to this year NOW. Not to sound crazy, but I Need My Varen!!! >.<"

...And this is how I feel now:

I almost feel like crying. This doesn't seem fair, that the sequel to such a great debut should fall so flat; I almost don't know what to feel, it's all a mess of disappointment, sadness and confusion. What do you do when something you've waited for with such high anticipation an...more
Melannie :)
Mar 31, 2011 Melannie :) marked it as to-read
Shelves: most-anticipated
OH NO! D:

until 2012?!?!?!?!?!?!
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

T___________T

Dude, it's TOO LONG.
I want to know what happens to Varen NOW.
And it better be GOOD.
He deserves some HAPPINESS.

go, Varen!

_______________________

March 28, 2011:

seems like book #2 has a title!!
and a BEAUTIFLY AWESOME cover,
and a summary: Varen goes to THE DARK SIDE?!!?!?!

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

I can't wait any longerrrrrrrrr *locks herself in mental sanatorium*
Mimi Valentine
"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Maybe it's a little early to post my review for this, but I couldn't help it because this kind of love needs to be shared! Enshadowed isn't just about Varen and Isobel being together; it's about them being apart and fighting all the shadows — literally — to reunite. It's less about school life, more about the haunting dreamworld we only got a glimpse of in book one. In short: I loved Nevermore, but this installment just blew me away!

Some people may not be sa...more
Ariana
This book was beautifully confusing and frustrating.

FULL REVIEW:

Enshadowed is one of those stories that can simply leave you breathless and exhausted from so much beauty.
I kept turning pages furiously inhaling every word and, even in the moments when there was no actual action, my elevated heart-rate made me feel like I was reading the most exhilarating of the books. In a way I was… because this story is awesomely intriguing and confusing, even though also terribly frustrating.

Now I need to thi...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
"Side by side we'll fight the tide
That sweeps in to take us down
Hand in hand we'll both withstand
Even as we drown."

I have this desire to want to dust off some Edgar Allan Poe and get lost for a little while after reading this second installment in the Nevermore series.

This was better than the first book because it didn't feel like the story was divided into two halves - the "before dreamworld" (realistic romantic fiction) and "after dreamworld" (paranormal horror) segments. Enshadowed felt m...more
Keertana
Enshadowed is a disaster; pure, terrifying, earth-shattering literary disaster, hurling your way at velocities too fast to imagine. Ever since I finished Nevermore, I've been dutifully stalking Kelly Creagh's website for any mention of a sequel; a release date, a cover, a summary. Thus, on August 28th when I finally held Enshadowed in my hands, I was breathless, shaking, and oh-so-very excited. Well, talk about a slap back into reality because it took me nearly five months to read Enshadowed. Ye...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
Mar 17, 2013 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoyed Nevermore (since Enshadowed is honestly more of the same)
Shelves: 2012-reads
Some thoughts (in place of a review for now): Enshadowed is a suitable sequel with some delightfully creepy moments, but while I was reading it I honestly felt it could have been more. This is not a story about a girl saving a boy or even about two lovers trying to save each other: this is the story of a girl's mental, emotional, and physical undoing as her sanity is stretched beyond ordinary bounds in her attempts to rescue the boy she loves. In the face of the current YA market (where almost e...more
Dinjolina
2012?
2012????!!!!
I feel sick.
(2012!)

Edit:Oh!A cover! :titters:
Errrrrrrm....why is this guy more ugly then the one on the first book? :/

Edit No.2:
Yeah. I don’t really remember book one any more. And if there is book 3…gosh, what will be first? The end of the trilogy or the end of the world?

This will sound harsh, but, who needs two years to write and edit a book who’s backbone you had to already have (seeing as how you sold the idea to a publisher)?
I mean, it’s not like you are writing a Russian c...more
Janina
I have to admit that my excitement to read this has been dampened considerately by the long wait and the reviews I've read so far ... but lets see.
Krys

Two years ago I read a book that really made me happy - Nevermore by Kelly Creagh. I enjoyed the world that Creagh constructed, the conflict and the characters. I waited... Book 2, entitled Enshadowed, was announced. I waited... Time went by and more people found this book. We waited...

Last week an ARC of the sequel was sent to my home by the fine folks at Simon and Schuster. I squealed aloud. And I might have danced a little. The wait was over.

I knew that immediately leaping into book two woul...more
Annabelle Marie Veronica
*****FINAL RATING: 4.30 STARS*****

CATCHALL
I loved Nevermore. Most of you probably know that. I though it was a seriously awesome book with one of the most original plot concepts I'd ever seen. Plus, I happen to be something of an Edgar Allan Poe addict—I have the complete collection to prove it. Anything Poe, I probably have an answer for. But oh! Moving on. I don't think I enjoyed Enshadowed as much as I did Nevermore mostly because I missed Varen. Even so, I definitely loved this book.

THE HE...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
The Poe Toaster.

Oh wait, I have an even better one!

Don’t give me that look. I’m sure I‘m not the only one who imagined this.

Starting Enshadowed was a huge mistake. And before you go all berserk on me, no I don’t mean that it’s a bad book. On the contrary, it’s a very good book. What actually made me say this is the ending. That god forsaken ending. Then again, Nevermore had a frustrating ending as well, so I guess I should have seen it coming.

What bothered me about the ending, besides the obviou...more
Lora
Mar 19, 2011 Lora marked it as looks-promising  ·  review of another edition

I really want this book.
Rane

Coming back to the Nevermore series felt like revisiting old friends, the story has taken on a darker turn with us picking up with Isobel on a race to save Varen from the ash and demon filled deamworld he’s stuck in. The once vivacious Isobel has become darker, leaner and more determined to save Varen.

It was sad to see Isobel without Varen, with all she’s been and still going through, she’s never let go of the hope that she’ll find him again. You see a growth from Isobel the cheerleader, a you...more
Kenzie
Okay. Okay. Okay.

Firstly, and most importantly... What the hell was that ending. I just. I'm. What.

I HAVE VERY VERY MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT THIS BOOK OKAY LET'S RUN THIS DOWN

GOOD
- I loved Isobel's family, and the relationships she had with them. tbh they're what salvaged the book for me. They were so... blissfully normal. Her dad really came around in this book too! And (view spoiler)...more
Liz

Despite everything Isobel is determined to bring Varen back. Despite the fact that those around her turn their backs on her, despite the horror and the danger she is willed to risk everything.
Her family eyes her with suspicion, her old friends mock her, her new found friend is horrified by the dark and ancient creature Varen awoke and Isobel herself does often not know whether what happens is real or nothing but a dream.
She finds herself between the worlds. She finds herself on the edge of sa...more
Keli
2.5
Oh how I wanted to enjoy this book...

Yes, I am shocked at what I have just read...and I don't even...just, what?!

First of all, I should clarify this book is not getting a low-rating because of anything that has to do with the writing. I think Creagh is a terrific writer, as expressed in both Nevermore and Enshadowed, and she doesn't let a sentence go by without decent explanations. So there.

But that's pretty much the only thing GOOD about this book.

Nevermore was fantastic. It didn't suffer...more
Sadia
While Varen remains a prisoner in the dream-world, Isobel is haunted by his memory. He appears to her in her dreams and soon, even in her waking life. But is she just imagining it? Isobel knows she must find a way back to Varen. She makes plans to go to Baltimore. There, she confronts the figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster—the same dark man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams, calling himself “Reynolds.”

Go girl!! We're all with you. Bring Varen back! :D

Ah, this sounds so...more
Ferdy
Spoilers

Isobel is determined to save Varen from the dreamworld, but with no idea as to how to reach him, Isobel must seek out Reynolds - the only person who seems to know anything about the dreamworld. Isobel thinks she can find Reynolds in Baltimore as she believes he is the Poe Toaster - the mysterious man who visits the grave of Edgar Allen Poe every year on the date of his death. Isobel has no choice but to find a way to get to Baltimore and confront Reynolds in order to have any chance of g...more
Katie Stout
This is a really difficult review for me to write. Mostly because I was so, SO excited to read this book. I read (and reviewed) Nevermore last year, and I was desperate for the sequel. So when NC over at Truly Bookish let me borrow her ARC, then Simon & Schuster was kind enough to send me my own, I was basically ecstatic. Unfortunately, Enshadowed just didn't live up to my expectations.

First and foremost, I feel like I need to give the author major props. Kelly Creagh is a great writer! That...more
Soumi
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
-Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

Varen Nethers is prisoned in a perilous dream world and Isobel is haunted by disturbing nightmares of Varen’s creation. But she is the only person who can save Varen from the treacherous dream realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Her only hope is a mysterious “Poe Toaster” who makes his annual homage at...more
Anthi
Varen, you fucking stupid bastard!!!!! $&?#}^¥Г§¿¡©€%!!!!!!

4,5 Stars

I've been thinking a long time about this book and I think my rating was rather high since a lot of things fustrated me in the story and felt disengaged towards Isobel so yeah I believe 3 stars is a far more appropriate rating. Varen still remains a fucking bastard though!!

When I started Enshadowed, I reminded myself repeatedly that it wasn't Nevermore. You must understand that I adored Nevermore...which meant I had to prepare myself for the possibility that the sequel would fall short of that adoration. (YA is a hotbed of sequel disappointments -- what can I say?)

So, no...this isn't as good as Nevermore.

First & foremost: Ms Creagh's writing style is divine. It's dark, lush, & descriptive, but with a minimum of excess. She has a gift for describing detail...more
TheBookSmugglers
Originally Reviewed on The Book Smugglers

It has been an agonizing few months since Varen Nethers has disappeared - the rest of the world thinks that he, a misfit and outsider, has simply run away. But Isobel Lanley knows the truth - that Varen is trapped in the Dreamworld, tricked by creatures called Nocs and a beautiful, cruel demon named Lilith that reigns with deception and fear. Ever since losing Varen to the Dreamworld on Halloween, Isobel has grappled with her guilt and broken heart, and i...more
Marissa
Dec 27, 2010 Marissa marked it as to-read
Waiting until 2012 to actually read this is going to kill me. The end of the first book took me off guard a little bit because I didn't expect it to end that way. Of course, that's how Kelly made it out to be, haha. I guess I'll have to occupy myself with something else in the meantime of waiting!
Kris Irvin
So here is my question: have people actually read this book? Or are they just giving it 4-5 stars because they love Varen OH SO MUCH.

Now my friends, I am with you. I, too, am...er, was... on the Nevermore train. I re-read Nevermore yesterday to prepare for Enshadowed and it got me so excited. I've been waiting forever for this book and it's October - perfect time to read it and here I go and

Hey, I'm 80% through the book and all that has happened is one giant review of book 1. Are you kidding?...more
Natalia Ceitidh
Read more of my reviews at Dazzling Reads

It's been two months since Varen vanished from the real world. Now, while prisoner of the dreamworld, Isobel is desperately trying to keep her promise of finding him again. While getting access to the dreamworld is not an easy task, Isobel hopes that the appearance of the mysterious Reynolds on Poe's grave will open a door between world and thus, a way for her to get to Varen again.

The publication date for Enshadowed (Nevermore#2) was pushed two times...more
Isamlq
"A word to the wise… cover your mirrors.
That’s how they find you."

It’s been almost two years so the details were a bit unclear when I started, but Isobel’s words brought it all back: how there’s an eerie nightmarish quality, an otherworld-ness to the other side... because that’s what the case was…is?

“…The Grim Façade. The dream world masquerade. The falling ash and the woodlands. The sky ripped into shreds by bleeding strips of violet. And his eyes. Always those eyes. Again and again sh
Stephanie

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

My Summary: Varen has been missing for over two months, and though nobody has any idea where he went, the general consensus of the student body is that Isobel had something to do with his disappearance. But Isobel doesn't care - the only thing she's cared about for the past few months is getting to Baltimore and confronting the mysterious figure who calls himself Reynolds. She's convinced...more
Live, Laugh &amp;...: Enshadowed 1 1 Feb 16, 2014 11:20AM
The Epilogue- Let's Discuss 12 73 Feb 12, 2014 02:23PM
End of "Enshadowed"...Does Varen "accidently" kill Isobel? 16 35 Feb 12, 2014 02:18PM
Is anyone else losing their mind waiting for #3 to come out? 8 34 Feb 09, 2014 03:54AM
Isobel's Hope in the Third Book and other stuff: Predictions 8 59 Nov 01, 2013 04:43AM
A Place Called Dr...: August Read and Review 14 47 Apr 21, 2013 07:54AM
What is the plot? What is Lillith trying to do? 2 45 Apr 04, 2013 06:15AM
  • Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2)
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • The Blood Keeper (The Blood Journals, #2)
  • Speed of Light (Fenestra, #3)
  • A Touch Morbid (A Touch Trilogy, #2)
  • Envy (The Fury Trilogy, #2)
  • The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2)
  • Timekeeper (Timeless, #2)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • The Hidden (The Hollow, #3)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • Embers and Echoes (Wildefire, #2)
Nevermore (Nevermore, #1) Oblivion (Nevermore, #3) The Nevermore Poe Collection

“Is — is any of this real?" she asked. "Are you real?"

He lifted a hand to her cheek, his fingers brushing her jaw.

"Even if this is a dream," he whispered, "I'm not."

Isobel's eyes widened, recognizing those words as her own, the same ones she had once uttered to him. She reached for him, her arms twining around his neck, drawing him closer so his scent poured over her, that combination of incense, citrus, and dried leaves overriding the funeral funeral smell of the crowding flowers.

"Don't leave," she breathed.

"I'm here," he whispered. "Right here. Waiting.”
77 likes
“He clutched the watch hard in his fist, determined to destroy it, to prove that it couldn't be real. That she hadn't come here because of him, for him.

That he hadn't done what he knew he had.”
58 likes