Start by marking “Shadow” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,935 Ratings  ·  334 Reviews
A stunning and moving new novel from Michael Morpurgo, the nation's favourite storyteller - featuring the bravest dog in all the world! He tackles a current war with the story of a sniffer dog named Shadow and an Afghan boy.
Published September 30th 2010 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow, please sign up.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie SmithThe Princess Diaries by Meg CabotBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue TownsendBook of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
Best Diary Novels
128th out of 138 books — 206 voters
Wonderstruck by Brian SelznickTall Story by Candy GourlayMatched by Ally CondieThe Emerald Atlas by John  StephensBreadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
Red Dot 2013: Older Readers: LONG LIST
38th out of 46 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelsi_Betsy
May 19, 2015 Kelsi_Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadow completely surprised me!

When I first picked this up, I just thought it'd be about a dog, so and so.......but then I started reading it and at first, I was kind of like:

But then, I read more and more of it and then became completely engrossed in it!! I even took it with me when I was hiking a 5 mile hike with my friends to finish it. And when my friends said "Quite reading, you can read when you get back..." I was like:

SHUT UP I'M READING!!!!!!!

They didn't bother after that until I was fin
Claire Russell
Jul 24, 2012 Claire Russell rated it it was amazing
Shadow is a book about friendship that spans the UK and Afghanistan. Matt visits his grandfather and tells him about his best friend Aman who along with his mother has been taken to Yarl’s Wood. Aman has lived in the UK for 6 years as an asylum seeker, but according to the Government their time has run out and he has to return to Afghanistan. As Matt is not allowed to visit Aman he persuades his Grandfather, a former journalist to go to Yarl’s Wood detention centre. Aman tells of his incredible ...more
Ms. Yingling
Dec 10, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Aman and his mother have been living in England for six years when they are told they have not gained political asylum and must return to Afghanistan. They are placed in the Yarl's Wood detention center. Matt, a good friend of Aman's, enlists the help of his grandfather to try to help the family. When the grandfather visits to try to find out the story, Aman tells him about the death of his father, how the family was living with an elderly grandmother in a cave, and how an uncle in England was a ...more
Seonaid
Jun 22, 2014 Seonaid rated it it was amazing
Izzie and I were blown away by this book, another absolutely gripping story from Michael Morpurgo, this time set in Afghanistan and England. Told by three different voices, Grandpa, Matt and Aman, 'Shadow' tells of how Aman and his mother, helped by the stray dog they call Shadow, escape from Afghanistan and the Taliban to move to England and a better, safer, life with Uncle Mir and Aunt Mina.

Morpurgo yomps the reader across the terrors of Afghanistan under the Taliban, and introduces us to the
Julie
Jan 20, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
The good thing about Michael Morpurgo books is they do not delve into politics, but focus on the human cost and the lives of ordinary people effected by events outside their control.Imagine your are living in a good country your family can make a living and you have freedom, education,the country has history of ancient civilisation. Then one day you are invaded by a foreign power (Russia ) the fighting starts and goes on for years and you gradually lose everything , then the Russians leave and ...more
Kirsti
May 01, 2014 Kirsti rated it it was amazing
This book is by the same author who wrote War Horse, and while that might be a plus for some it was off putting for me. Although I haven't read War Horse, I was in the minority that didn't like the movie. I actually bought this book months ago, so I took my time to read it!

Basically this is the story of Aman, a refugee from Afghanistan. He has lived in England for almost six years since escaping his war torn country, but wakes up one day to find that his asylum has been denied and his mother wil
Adrian Km
Jan 23, 2016 Adrian Km rated it it was amazing
Shadow by Michael Morpurgo
Written by Adrian Keller-Miller

Shadow is a story about a boy named Aman and his dog named Shadow. The story is one that takes place in Manchester, England and Afghanistan. When the story begins Aman is in jail in Manchester because he did not have the right immigration papers to be living in England. His friend Matt, who Aman had known through soccer, tried to help him get things straightened out so he could get out of jail. Matt’s grandfather helped out too, and in doi
Lori
Jan 17, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
this book is seen through the eyes of three characters, Aman a teenage boy who escaped Afghanistan with his mother. Matt, the boy who befriended Aman, and Grandfather, of Matt. Aman has been taken with his mother to Yarl's Wood.an immigration removal center that is intending to send Amal and his mother back to Afghanistan. Matt's grandfather visits Yarl's Wood to talk to Matt's friend Amal. Here Amal talks to the grandfather and goes back six years when he and his mother lived in a cave since th ...more
Brandy
A young boy and his mother flee their native Afghanistan and escape into England, only to be denied political asylum six years later. The boy tells his story to his best friend's grandfather (visiting him in the deportation prison), giving the grandfather a way to share the boy's story and try to get their case heard.

Particularly relevant right now, with the recent controversy over the Central American children being sent back to the violence in their home countries instead of being given refuge
Tarquilla
Mar 17, 2014 Tarquilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
He tackles very deep subjects with enormous tact and care giving children – and adults - the chance to explore serious issues. As always this book is beautifully written with warm characters and a hefty dollop of reality.

Paul Degraaf
Dec 17, 2013 Paul Degraaf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Great story, written for children. Author of "War Horse." Inspirational story of friendship and sacrifice.
Thomas
Jan 30, 2016 Thomas rated it really liked it
This is about a sniffer dog during the Afghanistan conflict. Shadow is an amazing dog who runs away in an ambush and walks 1000kms to an Afghanistan home where the family are forced to leave and Shadows goes with them. The book follows the journey of them all but they don't realise Shadow is leading them to his master who a Sargent in the British peace keeping force. This book kept me engaged as I followed their journey. I highly recommend Michael Morpurgo his books are aways interesting.
Teegan
Aug 05, 2012 Teegan rated it it was amazing
Set in the early years of the Afghan war ,this book is about a boy called Aman. He and his Mum are going to be deported from the UK back to Afghanistan. They are being held at a prison near his best friends Granddad's house. David ( his best friend) Comes to see Aman i the prison but no children are allowed in. David sends in his granddad and Aman tells his story.

This book is amazing and so sad it almost will make you cry. It opens your eyes to how bad they are treated and to the horror of livi
Keith
Dec 07, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be a book aimed at Children/YA but it's a great read even for adults.
It's a nice little story about hope and not giving up.
Certainly something I'd give to kids for reading.
Charlotterichy
Feb 17, 2014 Charlotterichy rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing amazing book !!!!!!! i loved it soooooo much. It brought the emotions out of me :D i would 100% recommend it :)
Alex
Nov 25, 2015 Alex added it
DNF I wish I read this book when I was younger as I would of loved it..but now the writing style is way to simple and plain...sorry
Lexie
Dec 12, 2015 Lexie rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story. Read it like 4 times, it's just so emotional and touching and so very realistic. Definitely recommend this book for people who love a good emotional story, and especially if you like dogs.

Review edit
I rate this book 9/10. As I just said it's such a beautiful story. The only flaw is the writing style is a little simple and I'm kind of only interested in the past not the present aspect, but luckily it is mostly the back story of Aman so this was a beautiful book. I cried the firs
Laura Phelps
Aug 27, 2012 Laura Phelps rated it really liked it
Shelves: possiblemsba2012
Told from three different perspectives (an Afghan boy, Aman, his British friend Matt and Matt’s grandfather), Shadow exposes the plight of detained refugees, explores the way friendship can transcend nationality and highlights a beautiful grandfather-grandson relationship. I am a sucker for books with animal heroes in them and Shadow is quite a hero, helping Aman and his mother reach safety in Afghanistan. Morpurgo manages to make the reader fall in love with this dog without being sappy. I real ...more
Jake Paxton
Oct 14, 2015 Jake Paxton rated it it was amazing
Tasnim Willgress
Oct 09, 2015 Tasnim Willgress rated it it was amazing
Aman, a 14-year-old Afghan boy, and his mother bravely fled the fearful life they spent under Taliban for asylum in England, only to face deportation six years later. Aman has befriended Matt, an English boy at his new school, and though they have lived very different lives up until now, they find similarities in each other and form a close bond. Matt informs his grandfather that Aman and his mother have been locked up in a ‘prison place’ and that he faces being sent back to his homeland. Matt p ...more
Nathan Bracey
Aug 25, 2015 Nathan Bracey rated it really liked it
1-I decided to read this book because i had already read quite a few of Michael Morpurgo's other books and quite liked them so i decided to pick out this book.
2-A character that i found interesting was actually a dog which a boy called Aman called her Shadow. I found Shadow interesting because ever since she saw Aman and got nursed backed to health by him she barely left Aman's side and kind of did whatever the boy did.
3-A quote that I really liked from this book was "I think she is more like a
Jessica Erhard
Aug 12, 2015 Jessica Erhard rated it it was amazing
Shadow by Michael Morpurgo is a book about perseverance, friendship, and loyalty. The story is about Aman's journey from Afghanistan to England and how a cocker spaniel dog turned from a nuisance into a guide for Aman's safe trip. Aman's special bond with Shadow is something any pet lover can relate to.

This story is told from three different perspectives: Aman, Matt (Aman's best friend), and Grandpa (Matt's Grandfather). This style of writing helps the reader get a full picture of Aman's story
Vil van Megs
Jun 15, 2015 Vil van Megs rated it really liked it
Morpurgo's book focuses on friendship that spans continents and deals with complex subjects such as immigration, asylum, incarceration and sacrifice, however it deals with these issues in a sensitive and appropriate manner to the target audience.

While the topic of the book is highly political it focuses more on the human and emotional aspects of the situations and enables younger readers to understand it. This book is highly emotive and emphasizes the strength of relationships: both familial, fr
Manya Tewari
Dec 17, 2014 Manya Tewari rated it really liked it
Shadow by Michael Morpurgo

Shadow is a beautiful story of a young boy, his mother, and his dog, who travel to escape from a war struck Afghan cave. Aman rescues the dog, Shadow, and brings her back to health. The dog provides constant protection and love, she is almost like a shadow, and that’s what Aman decides to call her. The three embark on a journey to Manchester in attempt to survive in a world of danger and insecurity.

The narrative point of view in this book is largely first person and i
Uzma
Sep 22, 2014 Uzma rated it it was amazing
i chose to read this book Shadow by Michael Morpurgo because i needed to read a book for english. The back blurb of the book was very interesting so i decided to read it.
A character that i found very interesting was the main character Aman, because even though he was really small he was so brave and took care of his mom and he also survived not eating and drinking for a very long time.
my favourite quote from this book was "I think she is more like a friend than a dog, like a friendly shadow th
Debbie
May 08, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: karen
• Author is the man who wrote War Horse.
• Story of a 14 year-old Afghanista and his mom struggling to get out of the war-torn country to England and his uncle. Along the way, a lost bomb-sniffing dog - named Shadow by the boy, finds them, bonds with the boy Aman, only to have to be returned to the military.
• They reach England and all is well for a few years only to be taken to Yarl’s Wood prison to be deported.
• Ama had made friends with an English boy named Matt. Matt, his grandpa and family w
Rhiannon
Jun 23, 2014 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
Jo Norman
Jan 02, 2011 Jo Norman rated it it was amazing
Read this to my boys (9 and 11) and it is a fantastic book. Quite serious and sad but the author handles a really dificult subject matter from a child's point of view with great sympathy and unbelievable insight. I learnt something and so have my boys. I will certainly have more sympathy with asylum seekers from now on and it is a great lesson to the boys when a map pops up on the news and I can say that is the town (Kabul) that we are reading about.
Eleanor
Jul 04, 2014 Eleanor rated it liked it
I have been a huge Michael Morpurgo fan since I was a kid, I think I've read about 20 of his books, but I haven't read one in years. When I saw this in the reduced to clear section at work I had to give it a home.

Though this is a children's book I still really enjoyed it, especially how it dealt with talking about asylum seekers. I think that it is great that he has written this book and is able to tell stories like this to younger people.
A lot of what happens in the book comes down to luck and
Mia
Oct 22, 2015 Mia rated it it was amazing
Michael espesully
WARNING SPOILER ALERT
This book review is based on a book named Shadow.This book takes place in Afghanistan durning the war with the Taliban.The main character is a dog named Shadow.This dog is a very brave dog.She was an army dog and save the life of Aman ,a young boy that lived with is mother.Aman lost most of his family durning the war.The goal was to get to England to live with is Uncle Mir.I loved this book because it was touching and i realized that many people don'
  • The Dogs of Winter
  • The Saturday Boy
  • Dogs on Duty: Soldiers' Best Friends on the Battlefield and Beyond
  • The Unfortunate Son
  • A Dog Called Homeless
  • Stubby the War Dog: The True Story of World War I's Bravest Dog
  • The Desperate Adventures of Zeno and Alya
  • A Soldier's Secret: The Incredible True Story of Sarah Edmonds, Civil War Hero
  • Kepler's Dream
  • Shadow on the Mountain
  • Duke
  • Seeing Red
  • Everything for a Dog
  • A Diamond in the Desert
  • Buddy
  • The Last Leopard (Animal Healer, #3)
  • White Fur Flying
  • The Longest Whale Song
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...