Start by marking “Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics” as Want to Read:

Examining the multigenerational impact of punk rock music, this international survey of the political-punk straight edge movementwhich has persisted as a drug-free, hardcore subculture for more than 25 yearstraces its history from 1980s Washington, DC, to today. Asserting that drugs are not necessarily rebellious and that not all rebels do them, the record also defies comm

Published February 2nd 2010 by PM Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sober Living for the Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sober Living for the Revolution

Wayne Simmons
Mar 17, 2016 Wayne Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been fascinated by the Straightedge movement ever since some dude asked me if I myself was straightedge when I refused his offer to buy me a beer back in the 90s. Truth was, until then I'd never heard of the term. And when I did learn more about it, I only got the headlines: Straightedgers are punks that don't drink, smoke or do drugs. And, well, I never was a huge fan of punk, per se.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I had a flick through this book while rabbit-sitting (yes, you
Nosmo
Mar 08, 2015 Nosmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly engaging. I didn't expect myself to finish this given the narrow subject matter, but I found it to be full of fresh insight and powerful personal stories.

The essays included throughout varied quite a bit, with some being a complete snooze and others being gripping and insistent (although the reflections on even the boring ones were still very interesting).

Getting a variety of perspectives on hardcore, straight edge and politics is quite illuminating, and the book does a good job o
Melita
Aug 23, 2015 Melita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone would benefit from reading 'Towards a Less...' by Nick Riotfag
The writing in this book is wide ranging both in subject matter and in quality.

On the bizarre side, Andy Hurley's piece was strange as he seemed to be arguing against engaging with maths and science at one point.

In contrast, 'The Shape of Punk to Come' has a vitality that makes it worth a read. 'The Antifa Straight Edge' by XsaraqaelX is also worth your time.

'Towards a Less...' by Nick Riotfag is by far the best piece in the book. Everyone will get something out of it.
Artnoose Noose
Apr 01, 2010 Artnoose Noose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: straight edge folks
I think of this as part of familiarizing myself with straight edge history that I missed out on because I wasn't straight edge back then, which is why I gave it four stars instead of three. For most people, I'd say it'll be a three-star read. This is a collection of essays and interviews explaining the intersections between straight edge and activism. Although I appreciate that the editor brought together many people to interview, I found a lot of things repetitive.
Caitlin
Feb 29, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me some new insights on straight edge I didn't read about before. Some parts were overlapping to me, but it's good to read about the political side of hardcore and sXe and how a lot of people use their sobriety for activism or to send out a positive message.\

Another thing I liked is how it covers something else than the violent male dominated part of the scene. Definitely worth reading and complementary to Ross Haenflers Straight Edge.
Kelsey
Feb 17, 2014 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of different perspectives presented in this book, which made it an interesting read for me. It did feel a little repetitive about 1/4-1/2 way through as multiple bands rehashed the "scene" surrounding the early 90s vegan sxe movement, but overall I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a basic overview of the politics/history that has helped define the sxe movement.
Janitag
Jun 05, 2011 Janitag rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janitag by: Elisa
A great read about a subject I wasn't very familiar with beforehand.

Radical opinions and a very diverse look at the punk/hardcore/vegan straight edge scene.

I've never taken any part in the straight edge movement, but this was an interesting read. I'd recommend SOBER LIVING FOR THE REVOLUTION for everyone.
Topher
Dec 03, 2011 Topher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting exploration of straight edge - from its beginnings, glossing over (but not ignoring) the very conservative / reactionary period during the 90s, and into today. What does it mean to live sober? to be a straight edge? There is a strong focus on the political aspects, particularly liberal politics, and DIY culture.
Rheuben Bundy
Apr 28, 2011 Rheuben Bundy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an excellent look at the late nineties early millennium punk/hardcore vegan straight edge scene. Kuhn connects the movements in the scene at that time with the radical politics that rose up around SXE at that time. It is an excellent look at the other side of vegan straightedge that went largely unnoticed by the media, and tough guy hardcore that subsumed it.
wombat
Sep 03, 2011 wombat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the essays by Nick Riotfag, Jonathan Pollack, Bull Gervasi, and Santiago Gomez. Skip the rest.
Don
Jan 30, 2011 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty mediocre book, but it was fun to see articles/interviews with people I know. The interview with Lucas is the best part of the book.
Kersplebedeb
Feb 05, 2011 Kersplebedeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a unique study of the intersections of straight edge and progressive politics. recommended not only to straight edgers!

Larry-bob Roberts
Sep 14, 2009 Larry-bob Roberts marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punk-rock
Just bought a copy at City Lights Books. The deciding factor for me was that it contains a couple pieces by straight edge queers.
Colin Spindler
Colin Spindler rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Penny Organ
Penny Organ rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
A
A rated it liked it
May 30, 2015
Nellie
Nellie rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Ilari
Ilari rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Lolo Brown
Lolo Brown rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Ian Callaghan
Ian Callaghan rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
Corey
Corey rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2013
J. Marc Harding
J. Marc Harding rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Mehwish Mehwish
Mehwish Mehwish rated it did not like it
Mar 17, 2015
Khibranbagas
Khibranbagas rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2016
Carlos
Carlos rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Codkelpme
Codkelpme rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2017
Kotu
Kotu rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Straight Edge: Hardcore Punk, Clean Living Youth, and Social Change
  • All Ages: Reflections on Straight Edge
  • The Story Of "Crass"
  • Burning Fight: The Nineties Hardcore Revolution in Ethics, Politics, Spirit, and Sound
  • White Riot: Punk Rock and the Politics of Race
  • Pink Flag
  • Ramones
  • Work: Capitalism. Economics. Resistance
  • Banned in D C: Photos and Anecdotes from the DC Punk Underground
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day