Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  11 reviews

Examining the multigenerational impact of punk rock music, this international survey of the political-punk straight edge movement—which has persisted as a drug-free, hardcore subculture for more than 25 years—traces its history from 1980s Washington, DC, to today. Asserting that drugs are not necessarily rebellious and that not all rebels do them, the record also defies co

Published February 2nd 2010 by PM Press (first published 2010)

Kelsey
There are a lot of different perspectives presented in this book, which made it an interesting read for me. It did feel a little repetitive about 1/4-1/2 way through as multiple bands rehashed the "scene" surrounding the early 90s vegan sxe movement, but overall I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a basic overview of the politics/history that has helped define the sxe movement.
Artnoose Noose
Aug 06, 2011 Artnoose Noose rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: straight edge folks
I think of this as part of familiarizing myself with straight edge history that I missed out on because I wasn't straight edge back then, which is why I gave it four stars instead of three. For most people, I'd say it'll be a three-star read. This is a collection of essays and interviews explaining the intersections between straight edge and activism. Although I appreciate that the editor brought together many people to interview, I found a lot of things repetitive.
Caitlin
This book gave me some new insights on straight edge I didn't read about before. Some parts were overlapping to me, but it's good to read about the political side of hardcore and sXe and how a lot of people use their sobriety for activism or to send out a positive message.\

Another thing I liked is how it covers something else than the violent male dominated part of the scene. Definitely worth reading and complementary to Ross Haenflers Straight Edge.
Rheuben Bundy
an excellent look at the late nineties early millennium punk/hardcore vegan straight edge scene. Kuhn connects the movements in the scene at that time with the radical politics that rose up around SXE at that time. It is an excellent look at the other side of vegan straightedge that went largely unnoticed by the media, and tough guy hardcore that subsumed it.
Topher
An interesting exploration of straight edge - from its beginnings, glossing over (but not ignoring) the very conservative / reactionary period during the 90s, and into today. What does it mean to live sober? to be a straight edge? There is a strong focus on the political aspects, particularly liberal politics, and DIY culture.
Janitag
Aug 08, 2011 Janitag rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janitag by: Elisa
A great read about a subject I wasn't very familiar with beforehand.

Radical opinions and a very diverse look at the punk/hardcore/vegan straight edge scene.

I've never taken any part in the straight edge movement, but this was an interesting read. I'd recommend SOBER LIVING FOR THE REVOLUTION for everyone.
Don
This is a pretty mediocre book, but it was fun to see articles/interviews with people I know. The interview with Lucas is the best part of the book.
Kersplebedeb
this is a unique study of the intersections of straight edge and progressive politics. recommended not only to straight edgers!

Larry-bob Roberts
May 16, 2010 Larry-bob Roberts marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punk-rock
Just bought a copy at City Lights Books. The deciding factor for me was that it contains a couple pieces by straight edge queers.
wombat
Read the essays by Nick Riotfag, Jonathan Pollack, Bull Gervasi, and Santiago Gomez. Skip the rest.
Brittney Seitgeist
Brittney Seitgeist is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Ryan Gardner
Ryan Gardner marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Anna Lutsker
Anna Lutsker marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Quinten
Quinten marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
MaryKate
MaryKate is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2014
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Bryce Grey
Bryce Grey marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Dorien
Dorien marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Soccer vs. the State: Tackling Football and Radical Politics Life Under the Jolly Roger: Reflections on Golden Age Piracy All Power to the Councils!: A Documentary History of the German Revolution of 1918�1919 Neuer Anarchismus In Den Usa Turning Money into Rebellion: The Unlikely Story of Denmark's Revolutionary Bank Robbers