Start by marking “Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain, #2)

Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Filled with joyously precise period detail (Kirkus Reviews), this new Sam McCain mystery brings readers back to 1950s lowa, as the Ford Edsel is unveiled -- and a body is found in the trunk of one of the brand-new cars.
Paperback
Published February 1st 2001 by Berkley (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Up Little Susie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Up Little Susie

Michael Schramme
This is a very special 'private eye' series build around a lawyer and special court investigator, Sam McCain, in a small town in the midwest (Iowa) in the fifties and sixties. I absolutely love this series for several reasons:

1. the wonderful immersion into a different time, spanning a decade from the late fifties to the late sixties. The descriptions are detailed, evocative, engaging and realistic. They are exceptionally well done.
2. The protagonist is a likeable average joe, who is easy to ide
Mark Baker
Sam McCain, part time lawyer and PI, investigates when the wife of a political hopeful is found dead in the trunk of the new Ford Edsel. I really enjoyed this trip back to the late 1950's, although the plotting could have been a little better. I do plan to read more in the series.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Amanda Meggs
Excellent story telling. The characters are warmly written, the setting is well described and the mystery kept me guessing. Wonderful.
Frank Taranto
An enjoyable mystery to read. This second book actually takes place before the first story, but the main characters are all here. Sam McCain, the judge's pet private investigator. Judge Whitney, the rubber band shooting judge who has a running feud with the town Sherriff Cliff Sykes, known as Cliffie to his not so admiring constituents.
A dead body is found in the trunk of a brand new Edsel, and the race is on to find the killer.
The chartacters are interesting, and the end surprised me, not that
Jeff Dickison
Another enjoyable entry in the Sam McCain series. This one is set in October '57 when the '58 Edsel is being rolled out. The public reaction to this monstrosity seems to be accurately reported in the book. Of course, there is a murder, and Cliffie Sykes arrests the wrong individual and is proven incorrect by McCain and Judge Whitney. Recommended.
Bobbye Hudspeth
Very entertaining. It sent me to the computer to look up the Edsel to see if what he said about it was true (it was). Had a nice enough mix of romantic sparks, intrigue and history to keep me guessing and reading.
GIZMO
I love this series...each one makes me want to spend more time with Sam and his friends....the "mysteries" aren't that engrossing but the recurring characters are good enough to keep me coming back
Susan
I like tha way this author sets his stories in the past. This one is set in the 50's just as the Ford Edsel came out. It was a fun read.
John Price
Very enjoyable book that kept moving and had me looking forward to picking it up again.

I will read more books by Ed Gorman.
Steve
i like this series but quite "light weight".
Marsha Shultz
Loved the time centric theme will read more
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 05, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
I hate a detective who is a whimp and idiot
Donna
Fun, quick read!
Therese
Apr 02, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read
Shelves: series
$0.0
William Vandermeer
William Vandermeer marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Timothy Taylor
Timothy Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Mike Hughes
Mike Hughes marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Sheryl
Sheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
♥ Sandi
♥ Sandi marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Maura
Maura added it
Oct 12, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Donna Grosmeyer
Donna Grosmeyer marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Unscratchables
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • Oyster: A Novel
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Feast of St. Stephen
  • Chance of a Ghost (Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #4)
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr. Monk, #8)
  • Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
  • Voodoo or Die (The Mojo, #2)
  • Shadow of the Wolf Tree: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #7)
  • The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1)
  • The Rabbit Factory (Lomax & Biggs, #1)
  • Sleight of Paw (Magical Cats, #2)
  • A Hint of Murder
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
Edward Joseph Gorman was born on November 2, 1941 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He spent 20 years in the advertising industry before leaving to write full-time in 1984. Since then, he has been incredibly prolific, averaging 2-3 novels a year in addition to many short stories, editing anthologies, and founding and editing Mystery Scene, the new magazine of the mystery field. He has written in many genres, ...more
More about Ed Gorman...
Predators Stalkers The Day the Music Died (Sam McCain, #1) The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction Once Upon a Crime