Start by marking “Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain, #2)

Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain #2)

Filled with joyously precise period detail (Kirkus Reviews), this new Sam McCain mystery brings readers back to 1950s lowa, as the Ford Edsel is unveiled -- and a body is found in the trunk of one of the brand-new cars.
Paperback
Published February 1st 2001 by Berkley (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Up Little Susie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Up Little Susie

Michael Schramme
Feb 24, 2014 Michael Schramme rated it it was amazing
This is a very special 'private eye' series built around a lawyer and special court investigator, Sam McCain, in a small town in the midwest (Iowa) in the fifties and sixties. I absolutely love this series for several reasons:

1. the wonderful immersion into a different time, spanning a decade from the late fifties to the late sixties. The descriptions are detailed, evocative, engaging and realistic. They are exceptionally well done.
2. The protagonist is a likeable average joe, who is easy to ide
Beverly
Jan 22, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 3rd book in this cozy mystery series set in Black River Falls, Iowa and I'm still enjoying them. There's a little question about where this book falls within series order. Some say #2, some say #3 and some call it a prequel to The Day the Music Died which was #1. Just based on some very simple family dynamics, I'm going with that last one. However, except for that one little connection which a lot of folks might overlook anyway, these first 3 books could be read out of order. The owners of Ke ...more
Frank Taranto
Nov 01, 2010 Frank Taranto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An enjoyable mystery to read. This second book actually takes place before the first story, but the main characters are all here. Sam McCain, the judge's pet private investigator. Judge Whitney, the rubber band shooting judge who has a running feud with the town Sherriff Cliff Sykes, known as Cliffie to his not so admiring constituents.
A dead body is found in the trunk of a brand new Edsel, and the race is on to find the killer.
The chartacters are interesting, and the end surprised me, not that
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2009
Sam McCain, part time lawyer and PI, investigates when the wife of a political hopeful is found dead in the trunk of the new Ford Edsel. I really enjoyed this trip back to the late 1950's, although the plotting could have been a little better. I do plan to read more in the series.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Jeff Dickison
Oct 14, 2013 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable entry in the Sam McCain series. This one is set in October '57 when the '58 Edsel is being rolled out. The public reaction to this monstrosity seems to be accurately reported in the book. Of course, there is a murder, and Cliffie Sykes arrests the wrong individual and is proven incorrect by McCain and Judge Whitney. Recommended.
Cheryl Hendricks
Jun 05, 2015 Cheryl Hendricks rated it liked it
This was a fun read especially for those who grew up in the fifties. The mystery and murders kept you on your toes and had a few twists and turns. I liked the characters and they fit the fifties time frame.
Bobbye Hudspeth
Apr 22, 2012 Bobbye Hudspeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Very entertaining. It sent me to the computer to look up the Edsel to see if what he said about it was true (it was). Had a nice enough mix of romantic sparks, intrigue and history to keep me guessing and reading.
GIZMO
Nov 07, 2013 GIZMO rated it really liked it
I love this series...each one makes me want to spend more time with Sam and his friends....the "mysteries" aren't that engrossing but the recurring characters are good enough to keep me coming back
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 05, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
I hate a detective who is a whimp and idiot
Susan
Mar 21, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
I like tha way this author sets his stories in the past. This one is set in the 50's just as the Ford Edsel came out. It was a fun read.
Donna
May 22, 2012 Donna rated it liked it
Fun, quick read!
Amanda Meggs
Apr 04, 2014 Amanda Meggs rated it really liked it
Excellent story telling. The characters are warmly written, the setting is well described and the mystery kept me guessing. Wonderful.
John
May 31, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable book that kept moving and had me looking forward to picking it up again.

I will read more books by Ed Gorman.
David Sprouse
Nov 15, 2013 David Sprouse rated it liked it
And a half.
Phil Taylor
Phil Taylor rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Y-alex
Y-alex rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2013
Mcgranes
Mcgranes rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Mrklingon
Mrklingon rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Diane C
Diane C rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Heather Mathie
Heather Mathie rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Kyria Joyner
Kyria Joyner rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Meg
Meg rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2008
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2013
Elena
Elena rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Unscratchables
  • Chain of Evidence (Inspector Challis, #4)
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Feast of St. Stephen (Mrs. Jeffries, #23)
  • Oyster
  • Dead and Kicking (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #3)
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
  • Murder in the Air (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #17)
  • Murder at Thumb Butte
  • Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
  • Chance of a Ghost (Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #4)
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr. Monk, #8)
  • A Window in Copacabana
  • Broken Dishes (Benni Harper, #11)
  • Body Copy
Edward Joseph Gorman was born on November 2, 1941 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He spent 20 years in the advertising industry before leaving to write full-time in 1984. Since then, he has been incredibly prolific, averaging 2-3 novels a year in addition to many short stories, editing anthologies, and founding and editing Mystery Scene, the new magazine of the mystery field. He has written in many genres, ...more
More about Ed Gorman...

Sam McCain (10 books)
  • The Day the Music Died (Sam McCain, #1)
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? (Sam McCain, #3)
  • Save the Last Dance for Me (Sam McCain, #4)
  • Everybody's Somebody's Fool (Sam McCain, #5)
  • Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Sam McCain, #6)
  • Fools Rush In (Sam McCain, #7)
  • Ticket to Ride (Sam McCain, #8)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Sam McCain, #9)
  • Riders on the Storm (Sam McCain, #10)