Flashing Swords! #3: Warriors and Wizards

Flashing Swords! #3: Warriors and Wizards (Flashing Swords! #3)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Five great sagas of swords and sorcery by L. Sprague de Camp, Fritz Leiber, Andre Norton, Avram Davidson and Lin Carter. Edited by Lin Carter.

Contents:

* "Introduction: Warriors and Wizards" by Lin Carter
* "Two Yards of Dragon" (Eudoric Dambertson) by L. Sprague de Camp
* "The Frost Monstreme" (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser) by Fritz Leiber
* "Spider Silk" (Witch World) by A...more
272 pages
Published August 1976 by Dell Publishing Co.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMagician by Raymond E. FeistLegend by David Gemmell
Best Heroic Fantasy
386th out of 427 books — 596 voters
A Concealed Inferno In Plain Sight by Timothy E. ForckBlackbirds and Sparrows by Jolyon GraceSwords Against Darkness by Andrew J. OffuttSwords Against Darkness II by Andrew J. OffuttWhere Embers Glow A Fire Burns by Timothy E. Forck
Swords & Sorcery Anthologies
11th out of 17 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles
In my opinion, Lin Carter was a better editor than a writer. He edited this series, called "Flashing Swords," which are collection of short stories in the heroic fantasy genre. I liked every volume, but some more than others. This was not the best of the five volumes, in my opinion, although it has a fine story by Fritz Leiber.
Mike
In my latest trip to Eljay's I found two fantasy collections each with a Rime Isle Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser tale. For some reason, I'd thought I'd found ones I hadn't read before. That was a silly thought. The stories in this collection were pretty good, but nothing else as superb as the Fritz Leiber.
K. Axel
Another Sword and Sorcery anthology, and not one of the better. If only the stories were connected somehow, but they seem (to me at least) chosen at random.

It gets the second star because it has a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser story by Fritz Leiber, two favorites of mine.
bluetyson
Flashing Swords! #3: Warriors and Wizards by LIN [ed.] CARTER (1976)
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Herman Varma
Herman Varma marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Heather Wickett
Heather Wickett marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2013
Shannon Clement
Shannon Clement marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Tosari
Tosari marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Jason Verbitsky
Jason Verbitsky marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Phil
Phil added it
May 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Linwood Vrooman Carter was an American author of science fiction and fantasy, as well as an editor and critic. He usually wrote as Lin Carter; known pseudonyms include H. P. Lowcraft (for an H. P. Lovecraft parody) and Grail Undwin.

Carter had a marked tendency toward self-promotion in his work, frequently citing his own writings in his nonfiction to illustrate points and almost always including at...more
More about Lin Carter...
Conan the Buccaneer Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings Flashing Swords! #1 Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria (Thongor, #1) Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)