Start by marking “Art Through the Ages” as Want to Read:
Art Through the Ages

Art Through the Ages

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  22,945 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
This classic art history survey text has sold over 2 million copies since 1st published in 1926. An ideal text for the full-year art history course, it surveys the entire span of Western art from prehistory to the present & offers overviews of significant areas of non-Western art. Heightened visual appeal & superior accuracy of color results from printing at 175-li ...more
10th
Published (first published 1926)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Art Through the Ages, Helen Gardner
عنوان: هنر در گذر زمان؛ نویسنده: هلن گاردنر؛ تجدیدنظر: هورست دلاکروا؛ ریچارد ج. تنسی؛ مترجم: محمدعلی فرامرزی؛ تهران؛ آگاه، نگاه، 1365؛ در 811 ص؛ نقشه؛ مصور، بخشی رنگی؛ کتابنامه دارد؛ چاپ دوم 1370؛ شابک چاپ سوم 1374: ایکس - 964416024؛ چاپ پنجم 1381؛ ششم 1384؛ نهم 1387؛ موضوع: تاریخ هنر - قرن 20 م
Mona
May 18, 2008 Mona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
تاریخ هنر قدیمی و مرجع و کاملا استفاده شده در کتاب های درسی هنرستان... با ترتیبی خوب و عکس های کثیر تاریخ هنر رو توضیح داده
Charlotte
Jan 29, 2008 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really did read this textbook cover to cover, for an AP Art History class. From ancient to modern - it gives a good summary. Not good for in-depth knowledge on specific topics. The broad range of topics led me to do my own research and helped me with Renaissance, Modern and American Art History courses. Anyone who wants to gain some knowledge of art history should skim the text for terms to throw around in a museum to sound decently knowledgeable. The language is straight forward – heck it has ...more
Adele Jones
Aug 07, 2013 Adele Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
This is the best textbook I ever had. Sadly, all the history I know comes from this book. I can't say if it is a good art-history book, since all the art-history I learned came from here, but I know it is very informative and interesting from 'the layman's perspective' (for lack of a less annoying term). Also, I have officially decided that this is one of my desert-island books, since I could spend practically forever reading it.
Brooke
Jan 15, 2011 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in college as a freshman, this textbook was assigned for a survey class. It was the first textbook I've ever decided to keep and since then, I have read it almost entirely. I don't have an AH degree or anything like that, but as a enthusiast I wuld recommend it for anyone who aspires to broaden their understanding of the history of art. It's easy to read, the annotations are terrific and I just really enjoy it.
Robyn26 loid
Nov 06, 2012 Robyn26 loid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in college and found it to be very educational and enjoyable. I have enjoyed pulling this book out for review several times since then. I recently read a great book called, "The Art Dockuments" by author Carlton Davis. This a non-fiction book with a collection of stories about the Los Angeles art gallery in the 1980s. http://artdock.net/
Ali
Jan 26, 2008 Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: art-history
این کتاب قطور توسط محمدتقی فرامرزی به فارسی برگردانده شده و همراه با تصاویر کتاب اصلی توسط انتشارات آگاه در 1365 چاپ و منتشر شده است.
Elham.d
Jan 06, 2015 Elham.d rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
میتوان جز کتابهای جامع تاریخ هنر دسته بندی کرد.البته در هنر قرن20 به خلاصه گویی رسیده
Christina
Jul 16, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Art Through the Ages was used during both of my Art History courses that I took in my undergraduate studio art program. I really enjoyed the sections of this book that we studied. It gives a broad, yet comprehensive, view about how art has progressed over time and the historical events that influenced its development. I found it easy to read and understand and really enjoyed the numerous color photos found through out the text. It's an extremely heavy book and not one I often wanted to carry aro ...more
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read the entire book in a school year for my art history class, and although there was a lot to get through, it is a quality textbook. Interesting to read with a good format and a large amount of information. I would recommend it to anyone into art history with a need for a compendium of all art from prehistoric to 20th century.
Michelle
Dec 09, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A veritable tome of a book that is used as a main text book for visual art, but a great reference work for art enthusiasts. Worth every cent ... one of those books that takes pride of place on any book shelf at home.
Sarah Hutchinson
Nov 11, 2014 Sarah Hutchinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Can a textbook be a favorite book? This one is for me. This book opened up an entire world when I first read it in high school, creating a passion for art history that has carried over to me for these past four, nearly five, years. Without this book, I wouldn't have had the multitude of positive experiences at museums and art sites around the world. I would not have gained so much appreciation and wisdom. This book, frankly, is the best to introduce yourself to the wonderful world of human creat ...more
Whanthatapril jeff
Great survey of the history of art. Originally published in the 1920's it remains the standard and most used. It has gone through zillions of editions. More recent versions come with a CD/DVD of photos.
blueMeridian
Sep 03, 2007 blueMeridian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 9th edition, hardcover. Comprehensive in terms of western art, with a good representation of non-European influences, it is understandably considered a standard text of art history education.
Kelly
Sep 24, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Art History Students or Want-to-Be Students
OK, so I read this for school, which tempers it a bit, but overall I found it a clear, easy-to-read history of art, good for getting an overview of a variety of periods, styles, and artists.
Marina
Oct 26, 2014 Marina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Screw you AP Art History.
Wister Batista
Feb 05, 2016 Wister Batista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary
Sep 21, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE book for art historians - both budding and arm chair. Excellent writing and crisp photos.
Nostalgia Reader
**6th Edition Review**

So much better than the modern version I used. This one covers all of art history (prehistory, through what was then recent in the 1960s/70s) and provides SO MUCH MORE actual historical background on both the history itself, as well as the artists, in addition to the artworks themselves. The pictures are mostly black and white (with color plates), but if you Google the artwork being discussed, you'll benefit even more from the history contained within.

It still is awkwardly
John Devlin
Nov 09, 2015 John Devlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A vast, well written, and lucid account of how art has emerged, shaped, and refined both its meaning and itself through the few millennia of human history. Particularly impressive is the precise language Gardner uses to give the reader insight into what the art purports to be and what it has come to be seen as.

Personally, I found the painting the most informative. With her talk of styles, pov, lines of focus and spatial relationships, I feel I gained a new appreciation for the art of that milieu
Rebecca
Copyright 2001. When in need of creative inspiration, must not forget art history. This book covers ancient art through WWII in 1200 coated pages -- definitely the heaviest book I have ever owned. It even has an attached ribbon bookmark. Perhaps it's sacrilege to say that I now prefer databases; timelines and interconnectedness just make more sense to me in a linked, interactive format, and the updates are always current. But this is a beautiful book, and one of the best.
Shelby
Dec 15, 2007 Shelby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Well, anyone who appreciates art.
This book is the most valuable book I own. I know that as an art student (in particular an art education and art history student) I am very biased. But, this book has the highlights of EVERY time period, movement and genre of art. It doesn't use language that is too much for people to understand, yet it does not dumb things down or try the "cool talk" that you sometimes find in books. I love it more than anything!
Joy
May 18, 2014 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to buy this as a textbook for an art class in university. Unlike most textbooks, I kept this one. The images are beautiful, and the text is informative and easy to understand. That class was about 5 years ago, but I still find myself paging through this book every so often. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with an interest in art and the history thereof.
Becky Moore
Dec 31, 2011 Becky Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used a previous edition of Art Through the Ages, extensively, while I was a senior touring docent wirh the NCMA ... During which time I was thrilled to see how many connections there were between art history and society. I like this updated edition, too, and have found that it helps to establish a little background in my work as an author. Good, thorough book.
Laurel
May 29, 2012 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a required text for my art history courses and remains a go-to resource for refreshers on art history.

A couple of years ago, I found a first edition of this book (1926), and was impressed anew at its scope. I collect old art history books (the shifting perspectives interest me), and Helen Gardner's open-minded understanding is impressive, particularly for the time she wrote it.
Yousef M
Dec 05, 2010 Yousef M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Textbook for my Art History II class (from the Renaissance onwards). I learned more about the art, history, religion, and culture of Europe than all of my previous courses combined. As someone who had a passing interest in art museums, I can safely say this book (and/or such courses that utilize this book) will broaden your horizons.
Erik Graff
Mar 08, 2010 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art students
Recommended to Erik by: John Elkin
Shelves: art
Up until reading this I'd only read one general survey of art history, and that, years before. John Elkin, once a student of the Art Institute in Chicago, had used this as a school text and recommended it as a good general survey. It was.
Steph
Apr 08, 2008 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-history
beautiful, fascinating, amazing, terrifyingly comprehensive and heavy. i marvel that i studied and learned this entire book, how? a text full of magic - a wondrous introduction to the world of art history.
Ellis
Feb 20, 2008 Ellis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readforschool
read different editions of this book for 3 classes (1 in high school, 2 in college). This is THE authoritative survey of western art (it claims to cover non-western, but mostly does so only in one chapter as in, summarizing all of Islamic art in ONE chapter). Good for an intro, and not much else.
Goodreads Librari...: Messed up ISBN results in incorrect entry 3 154 Dec 12, 2012 01:14PM
  • Arts and Ideas
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages
  • History of Art
  • History of Italian Renaissance Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture
  • The King's Agent
  • The Story of Painting
  • The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern
  • The Last Nude
  • The Lost Painting
  • The Shock of the New
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers
  • History of Beauty
  • History of Modern Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture, Photography
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism
  • The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales
  • Good Faeries/Bad Faeries
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
Helen Gardner (1878–1946) was an American art historian and educator. Her Art Through the Ages remains a standard text for American art history classes.

Gardner was born in Manchester, New Hampshire and attended school in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. In 1901 she graduated with a degree in classics from the University of Chicago. After an interval as a teacher, she returned to the same uni
More about Helen Gardner...