Start by marking “American Girls About Town” as Want to Read:
American Girls About Town

American Girls About Town

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,068 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Born in the U.S.A....
American gals are taking liberties -- and pursuing happiness on their own terms -- in this star-studded story collection featuring the nation's red-hot women writers.

They've declared their independence!
Jennifer Weiner (In Her Shoes) learns "The Truth About Nigel" -- and the trouble with falling for an incognito Hollywood actor. Lauren Weisberge
Published October 5th 2004 by Gallery Books (first published July 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about American Girls About Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Girls About Town

Juliana
If you liked this book, you'll enjoy the Irish girls about town better! Far more witty than the American version.
Antof9
Well, I read this on two different airplanes. I left it in my carry-on from the last trip, and then I read it when I came back to NYC for this week.

This book is not very exciting. First, I realized I really don't like "anthologies". That's not exactly what this is, but it is a bunch of short stories. Each chapter is a new story by a new author, and each is only about 5-8 pages long. Might be a great book for a doctor's office waiting room, but not my cup of tea at all.

Sadly, the first story in t
Candice
Another collection of short stories published to raise money for children's non-profit agencies. Chick lit, which I enjoy some of but frankly haven't read much of. Problem with this collection is that most of the tone and voices were pretty interchangeable, with the exception of a few, which I may pursue when I'm in the mood for this type of writing - breezy and humorous. I'm a woman, I like women writing about women's lives, so I don't know if I'm disappointed in "chick lit" or if it was just t ...more
Lory
Feb 14, 2010 Lory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smart-chick-lit
This is a great chick lit overview. I read it because it contained stories by several authors I liked, and wanted to see if it would lead me to others. I'm pretty picky about my chick lit- I like a breezy read, but I just can't relate to some vapid idiot that thinks a $400 pair of shoes is more important than paying rent. Not that I'm trashing Sophie Kinsella, because honestly, I've loved almost all of her non-Shopaholic books. On the other hand, I love almost everything Lauren Weisberger has wr ...more
Sarah Sammis
Sep 08, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released

As this is the last story in the book, I'll close with my thoughts on the experience. These fourteen short storties are written by authors I've not read before as I'm not much of a reader of either "women's fiction" or "chick lit." There are some stories I enjoyed enough to want to read more by some of the authors. My favorite stories were by Claire LaZebnik, Adriana Trgiana, Judi Hendricks, Sarah Mlynowski and Jill Smolinski. I'm glad I took the time to read through the stories and the book has

Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
For those with low attention spans, this is the book for you. Which is so me lately. American chicklit authors wrote some short stories for this anthology which proceeds of the sales (got it for free, whoops!) goes to some charity. Apparently there are Irish and UK versions of this book too, which I wouldn't mind picking up if I ever see it anywhere. Anyway, for those with no attention span, this is a good book for you. Except when like a story is good and you wish it went on longer! Those I lov ...more
Cathy
Some stories were better than others. Although this book was chock full of American chick lit authors, I'm not so sure I"d classify this collection of short stories as "chick lit" in general. While some of the stories mirrored their authors' published chick lit novels, many more of the short stories would better be described as general fiction or even just women's ficition. A lot of the stories surprised me in that they were dark or sarcastic in nature and others were just plain "unique". My fav ...more
Dils AB
So hard to rate short stories. I will just put it on what I like and don't like.

"The Truth about Nigel" - the best because it is fun and sweet and reminiscing of Bridget Jones .

Also like " Andromeda on the Street of Ducklings" of a woman who mourns her fiance in Paris. "Leaving a Light on" was a clever story turning something seemingly seedy into romantic and sweet. I love it.

The one I am meh about is "Yoga Babe" and "I Know a Woman" . I couldn't see the point.
Rebecca
Apr 17, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Cláudia
I'm not a fan of short stories, we are left with the impression that the story is unfinished and obviously there's not enough time to develop the characters, so it's just a "read and go" thing, nothing stays for us to think about. This time I was needing something like that so I grabbed this book that had just arrived home. Some stories are quite poor, others made me want more and maybe I'll try some of the "real" books the writers have.
Ellen
Aug 03, 2007 Ellen rated it it was ok
Shelves: beach-chicklit
It was fun to pick up a book of short stories – something I had not done in years, if not since assigned to do so in high school. (I think that it’s a genre that’s harder to find, and I’m often too lazy to move beyond the best-seller tables in the front of the bookstore.) I found this collection a mixed bag of both engaging and/or funny, and boring chick-lit. There was a month where the book lay untouched on my nightstand because I was stuck in a particularly long-winded story that, despite bein ...more
Amy
Nov 09, 2014 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I wasn't sure how I'd feel about reading a collection of short stories but I actually liked it. Some I enjoyed more than others but I liked that, pretty much, they were all love stories. It was a quick & easy read that introduced me to some new authors.
Catsalive
Some good short stories. I particularly liked "Andromeda on the Street of Ducklings" by Judi Hendricks.
Carolyn
Jun 15, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I read a book of short stories. I saw one of my favorite authors contributed (Jennifer Weiner) to this one so I thought I would check it out. Fun stories, all about the trials of being an American girl.

Weiner, oddly enough, wrote a short story about a girl from England though. Hmmm ...

As with a collection of short stories, each one can be hit or miss. My favorite was by Nancy Sparling. Anyone ever read something else by her? Reminds me a lot of the Shopaholic series.

There
Arra Abella
Since it was a compilation of short stories from different authors, I felt that I have read a lot of books in one sitting. I love the fact that I get to explore different situations, different worlds and meet different characters. I somehow felt empowered when I read about the various types of women in each story. Though I think I was not satisfied or I didn't really get the point of some stories, you'll still get to pick a personal favorite and I really love "Andromeda on the Street of Duckling ...more
Mel
Aug 27, 2015 Mel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
some authors are better than others therefore some of the stories were better. some stories seemed to drag on for-ev-er!!!
Jen
May 18, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who love chick lit
Recommended to Jen by: Robin
It's a collection of short stories, and while some were just okay, there were a few that I wished were longer than a short story. Since I'm somewhat new to reading the chick-lit genre, it was good for me to get a sample of other writers I'd never heard of. I've already read Lauren Weisberger and Jennifer Weiner. But I found that I also really liked reading Cindy Chupack, Laura Wolf, Judi Hendricks (her story "Andromeda on the Street of Ducklings" was one of my favories in this collection), and N ...more
erica
Jan 20, 2015 erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 2015
nice selection of chick lit short stories. only two did not thrill me, the rest were quite good!
Elisa Waingort
Feb 04, 2013 Elisa Waingort rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The short stories are all spectacular. They contain fully developed female characters that could be anyone in a woman's life, including herself, especially herself. The fact that these are short stories allowed me to pause after reading each one and savour the feeling that each story evokes. You almost have to do this with each story to fully appreciate the effect it has on the reader. I highly recommend this book to all my female friends on Goodreads.
Linda
Feb 05, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant collection of stories by contemporary chick lit authors. I enjoyed quite a few of the stories by authors I haven't read before and plan to look for their novels at the library. My favorite story was "Forty Days" by Jill Smolinski. The narrator, a single mother on the verge of turning forty, decides to spend the forty days before her birthday spicing up her life by doing something she'd never done before, something she'd been afraid to do and something just for herself.
Katherine Mahoney
Apr 25, 2014 Katherine Mahoney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Some of the short stories were really good and others were not that great. Overall a good read though.
Jen
Nov 24, 2015 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked being able to read sample stories from authors I had not heard of. I look forward to checking some of their novels out! However, not all of the stories were page turners.
Susan
Aug 24, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are a group of short stories by some of our favorite "chick lit" authors. What I like about them is that most either end with enlightenment, happiness, or both. They are sort of a feel good read. My favorites are about a bank worker who falls for a new employee only to find out he is famous, and also one about a woman who is turning 40 and thinks of 40 things she has always wanted to do but been afraid to.
Maina
Aug 12, 2009 Maina rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, although I did skip one or two stories. Some stories didn't catch my attention and some I missed because I lost my place in the book. Majority of the stories were very relatable and very interesting (cheating scenario, husband coming out of the closet, keeping the fire alive in a marriage, etc.). Really liked it and the short story format - probably should have used a book mark though!
Carrie Rzeppa
Aug 17, 2013 Carrie Rzeppa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I was very disappointed with this book. The stories seemed trite and very similar from one to the next. It was a struggle to motivate myself to finish reading it. Normally, I love short stories but I was disappointed with these- with the exception of about 4 or 5 of them. Although the book contained stories from some of my favorite authors, I think I will stick to their novels in the future.
dearlittledeer
Unfortunately, my copy of this book was missing one story and repeated two and a half others instead. Based on what I was able to read, I'd give it two and a half stars. The stories are a real mix of silly chick lit and more serious and poetic stuff. Good for reading one story a night at bedtime. My only problem was that one of the stories is about a British woman. I don't get that.
Stacey
Jan 03, 2010 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, another compilation, this one to benefit Make-a-Wish. Also a book I took a chance on, though, it was more of a 70/30 sort of thing. Loved Adriana Trigiani, Claire LaZebnik, Lauren Weisberger, Jill Smolinski, & Chris Manby. Hated Julianna Baggott, Lauren Henderson, & Laura Wolf. If you enjoy any of these authors, pick the book up cheap or rent it from your library.
Margaret
A chick lit anthology of short stories - I definitely liked some better than others. I thought Leaving a Light On was rather clever and The Two Month Itch and Forty Days were amusing. I also liked The Bamboo Confessions and Andromeda on the Street of Ducklings. Fast reading - nothing was too serious or required much thought (sometimes you just need fluff).
Saima
Nov 20, 2007 Saima rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fun to read and actually a really quick read. The book is composed of 17 different stories by 17 famous writers....one of which is Lauren Weisberger who wrote " The Devil Wears Prada". Some of the stories were hilarious while some of them were really weird. Overall it was nice to notice the different writing styles of the various authors.
  • Scottish Girls About Town
  • Irish Girls Are Back in Town
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • This Christmas
  • Girls Night Out
  • The Dairy Queen
  • Girls' Night In
  • Weisberger Shoe Box (The Devil Wears Prada / Everyone Worth Knowing / Chasing Harry Winston)
  • Essays and Stories by Marian Keyes: Bags, Trips, Make-up Tips, Charity, Glory, and the Darker Side of the Story
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up
  • Maneater
  • Spooning
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Cooking with My Sisters: One Hundred Years of Family Recipes, from Bari to Big Stone Gap
  • My Fake Wedding
  • Monkey Business
  • The Year of Living Famously
  • Slightly Engaged (Slightly, #3)
Jennifer Weiner is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of twelve books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, which was made into a major motion picture, and WHO DO YOU LOVE, published on August 11, 2015. A graduate of Princeton University, she lives with her family in Philadelphia. Visit her online at JenniferWeiner.com.
More about Jennifer Weiner...