Start by marking “The Complete TurtleTrader: The Legend, the Lessons, the Results” as Want to Read:
The Complete TurtleTrader: The Legend, the Lessons, the Results

The Complete TurtleTrader: The Legend, the Lessons, the Results

This is the true story behind Wall Street legend Richard Dennis, his disciples, the Turtles, and the trading techniques that made them millionaires.

What happens when ordinary people are taught a system to make extraordinary money? Richard Dennis made a fortune on Wall Street by investing according to a few simple rules. Convinced that great trading was a skill that could b
Published October 9th 2007 by HarperBusiness (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete TurtleTrader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete TurtleTrader

Chris Berkhout
Jan 03, 2015 Chris Berkhout rated it it was ok
Shelves: investing
This book and the events it describes do not answer the question of whether normal people can be taught the magic of trading and become wildly rich.

Instead, it tells the tale of a small group of exceptional individuals selected from a larger pool of motivated volunteers by an expert in the field. They were given a mundane but previously successful trading method to execute (following trends, with fixed rules for when to get in and out) and it did mostly continue to work. Later, some went on to g
Reid
Aug 26, 2012 Reid rated it really liked it
I think very highly of this book overall, and my main grievance is a petty one -- I rather despise the constant "branding" of the word turtle throughout the book. It's a tedious exercise in self-promotion that serves to alienate the reader rather than programme him to buy the next book. One could reduce the number of references to "turtles" by 70% and the book would be much more readable.

The best thing about this method is that one is not required to watch MSNBC, Bloomberg TV or the Report on B
Jason Green
Nov 08, 2014 Jason Green rated it liked it
Shelves: trading
This is a pretty good story about Nature vs Nurture put into action. Take the most successful trader in Chicago and give him a group of people from background that range the spectrum. Can he teach them to be successful traders? Or is that something that is inherent? While the story seems to support the nurture argument, what happens after the program is dissolved and the students are out on their own certainly supports nature.

Do not expect in-depth trading strategies from this book. This is a n
Marcelo Menezes
Sep 30, 2014 Marcelo Menezes rated it liked it
A decent account of the turtle trading methodology and VERY detailed background. Actually the methodology is ancillary: the author is passionate about the turtle story (including gossip and internal strife). I don't mean the story does not deserve being told. But the author just dug too deep.
John
Apr 19, 2011 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy and enjoyable read about the Turtle Traders -- ordinary folks taught a mechanical way of trading that works -- and how they (mostly) got rich. The book recounts a true-life version of "Trading Places". (This is not a how-to.)
Alex Ryan
Jan 09, 2016 Alex Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alex by: Me
Shelves: finance
A nice quick read that details how the lives of random average Jo's are changed when a successful trader teaches them his ways.
Māris Balceris
Aug 25, 2015 Māris Balceris rated it it was ok
Was expecting some technical analysis insights, it was minority of the book. More about people participating in it, philosophy of those traders etc. A bit controversial story.
Samuel
Jun 14, 2014 Samuel rated it liked it
Good read. Covers both the general idea of trend following and also the human story behind the turtle traders.
Joseph
Aug 13, 2012 Joseph rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
i must say i m quite disappointed with this book. Expected a lot more. Thought I could pick up more nuggets. It's just an autobiography of how these 'turtles' as they are called, made it.
Pyoungsung Choi
Dec 20, 2014 Pyoungsung Choi rated it liked it
터틀 트레이더 실험에 관한 이야기를 알 수 있다. 소설처럼 편하게 읽을 수 있으나 투자와 관련한 지혜를 얻는 것은 그다지 많지 않은 것 같다.
Plawooth Charoenchitmun
Nov 20, 2014 Plawooth Charoenchitmun rated it really liked it
I'm creating a system of my own and this book gives me the right mindset to work on my system
Patrick
Sep 28, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story and straightforward intro to sound charting principles... very eye-opening!
Jess Kang
Jun 04, 2016 Jess Kang rated it it was amazing
Beyond strategy, success lies in psychology.
Nicolai
Aug 03, 2008 Nicolai rated it it was amazing
Type 1 error - rejecting something that shoudl have been accepted

type 2 error - accepting something that should have been rejected.

edge = winning % X avg winner + losing 5 X avg loser

1. calculate your edge for every trading decision because you cannot make bets if you do not know your edge. it is not about the frequceny of being correct, but the magnitude.

2. buy rallies - watch high low close. trading decisions shoudl all be based on price.

3. embrace shorting.

S1 - 4 week (20 trading day) price
Brad Mills
Jun 22, 2016 Brad Mills rated it it was amazing
This book is for non-traders. You don't need to have any technical knowledge of trading to understand it and find it highly entertaining and informative.

I recommend it, If anything, to learn about Richard Dennis and his reality TV style antics in the 80s futures markets.

He basically put a craigslist ad up saying that anyone could apply to trade with his system of rules, no experience required, and he’d give them all 1 million dollars of his money to trade with.

The majority of the people had no
JC
Oct 20, 2013 JC rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-firsttime, 2013
These are the type of details I was looking for in the other Turtle trading book that I read. I've been reviewing chapter 5 of this book and learning more about some of the terminology as it goes into some of the details of the system used by the experiment conducted back in the 80s. If you're looking for a bit of an odd trading strategy that actually makes complete sense (at least for someone who has never traded before) then check this book out.

The book does go into a lot of details about the
Terry Kim
Aug 01, 2016 Terry Kim rated it really liked it
Entertaining, educational and a must read for a Trend Follower.

This book is about an experiment conducted by a very wealthy man, Richard Dennis. Started by a debate with his friend on 'are successful traders trainable? or are they born to be successful traders?'

Basically around 20 ordinary people are selcted (from various backgrounds from Havard MBA to a drug dealer), trained for 2 weeks. After a year or so these Turtle Traders made millions, just by sticking to the system they've learnt and be
Mike
May 20, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Investors
I read this book after reading Curtis Faith's book and several others on automated trading systems. Covel gives a more "overviewish" type of approach to the topic than Faith (which is reasonable considering Faith is mostly concerned with his experiences as one of the members of the Turtle group.)

I liked it but read an earlier edition of the book, so I am not sure what is in the 2009 release that might be new, or different.
Philski
Aug 19, 2012 Philski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, both going over the fundamentals and technicals of the trading method and providing perspective on the Turtles both in the program and their successes after. Well sourced and interesting.

However, the trading rules disagree with one other source I read on a couple of points so I need to do some more digging ...
David
Sep 03, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: investments
Nice story, but not especially good for increasing one's investment knowledge....well, in a way.
Acacia Bengo
Acacia Bengo rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2012
David Russell
David Russell rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2015
SHIH-PIN  LO
SHIH-PIN LO rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Jose Rosalejos
Jose Rosalejos rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Joshua Burgett
Joshua Burgett rated it did not like it
Sep 29, 2013
Ron Davis
Ron Davis rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Andrew Marquardt
Andrew Marquardt rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Susan Gast
Susan Gast rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
  • Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders
  • The Visual Investor: How to Spot Market Trends
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • Hedge Fund Market Wizards
  • Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline, and a Winning Attitude
  • Come Into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Day Trader
  • Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques: A Contemporary Guide to the Ancient Investment Techniques of the Far East
  • Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Mastering the Trade: Proven Techniques for Profiting from Intraday and Swing Trading Setups
  • Options as a Strategic Investment
  • Trader Vic--Methods of a Wall Street Master
  • Technical Analysis of Stock Trends
  • Elliott Wave Principle: Key to Market Behavior
  • High Probability Trading: Take the Steps to Become a Successful Trader
  • Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »