Start by marking “The Triumph of Politics: Why the Reagan Revolution Failed” as Want to Read:
The Triumph of Politics: Why the Reagan Revolution Failed

The Triumph of Politics: Why the Reagan Revolution Failed

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Political Studies, American Studies
Published May 1986 by Harper & Row (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Triumph of Politics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Triumph of Politics

All the President's Men by Carl BernsteinMaster of the Senate by Robert A. CaroMy Country 'Tis of Thee by Keith EllisonMeans of Ascent by Robert A. CaroThe Path to Power by Robert A. Caro
American Politics
30th out of 97 books — 59 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoLolita by Vladimir NabokovKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiThe Far Side Gallery 4 by Gary Larson
Bifocals!
114th out of 139 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven Peterson
I don't know about others, but I do enjoy well written "insider" accounts of what happens in politics is intelligently and honestly done. Indeed, I have sometimes thought of developing a political science class where such works would serve as textbooks. If I ever had the courage tyo follow through, this would be on the short list. Stockman was one of President Reagan's top person on his economic team. And, over time, he began to raise questions about economic policy. This book ios his reflection ...more
Bimbo
Rarely would I suggest to start reading a book at the back end, but I do not hesitate to do so with this one. It is in the last two chapters (Epilogue: The Triumph of Politics, Appendix: The Fiscal Facts) that Stockman succintly tells the crux of this 450 page tome about the $1 trillion fiscal calamity of the Reagan era.

Those readers who would then be intrigued to learn minutiae of dealings of the White House with its cabinet and the Congress during the first five years of the "Reagan revolution
Chuck Russo
I loved this book. A gripping and fascinating insider's account of the battles surrounding the early Reagan budgets, by the architect of those budgets. I read this many years ago, and it changed forever my perceptions and understanding of the federal budget process. Very interesting book.
Jluisr
Independientemente de los planteamientos políticos y económicos del autor y de aquéllos a quien sirvió, el libro es muy interesante.
Nos cuenta los errores de cálculo, los choques frontales, las manipulaciones secretas y los contubernios que condujeron al fracaso de la Revolución reaganiana, que produjo un déficit apabullante de un billón de dólares en vez del presupuesto equilibrado que el presidente había prometido al electorado...
Incluso los miembros del Congreso favorables a la reducción del
Nathan Tensen
To read a summary of The Triumph of Politics is to think you're reading an argument for why you should skip it and find another book. It is, after all, about David Stockman-President Reagan's Budget Director-trying to cut spending in Washington and put together a budget. Literally, that's what it's about. Budgets, graphs, special interests competing--hardly riveting material. And yet what Stockman found when he was plucked out the House of Representatives to work in the Reagan administration was ...more
Frances Padilla
I like this one better than his new one. It's had a better combination of narrative but also concise points.

David
Just started reading (page 67 out of 394) but it is entertaining reading by David Stockman, Reagan's Director of the Office of Management and Budget, who with Jack Kemp and Arthur Laffer (remember the Laffer curve written on a napkin?) created the supply side emphasis of the Reagan administration. From the beginning he implies that Reagan was basically a likeable guy but an empty suit who had to be educated intensely to understand Stockman's ideas and ultimately abandoned the total concept becau ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Dec 01, 2008 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime
This was in the free books bin ... the guy is clearly clever, but honestly, I don't know enough about the hidden dynamics of the Reagan administration to gauge the veracity of his account. (And I'm not sure that I want to.)

He mentions having written a paper tracing conservative philosophers back to early liberal thinkers ... which intrigues me, because I've always felt a sense of interconnection there that I haven't been able to articulate.
Daniel
This book should be on the reading list of everyone really interested in politics, either in the 80s or now. Stockman really takes us through how the ideologues just pulled the numbers out of the air and their decisions exploded the deficit in the 80s. I had never realized that even as late as the early 80s (and maybe now) how the conservative movement fundamentally wanted to undo the reforms of the 1930s and 1960s.
James
While this book had its boring and difficult to understand sections, it proved to be an informative read. The author was both brutally honest and earnest in mapping out his own and Ronald Reagan's failure to implement the economic and fiscal policies promised by his campaign.
Bill
There are a lot of things to find captivating about this book. What strikes me most of all is that the "Reagan Revolution" was a total bust from the start and that these are still some of the same arguments we're having today. I think everybody interested in politics needs to revisit this book ASAP.
Evan
Excellent. Written by Reagan's OMB director and one of the guys who came up with supply side economics.
Lonnie Brown
Lonnie Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Oren Harnevo
Oren Harnevo marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Catherine Chisem
Catherine Chisem marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Angtburg
Angtburg marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Michael Burns
Michael Burns marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Colin Bruce Milne
Colin Bruce Milne marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Erin Cody
Erin Cody marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Bridgit
Bridgit marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Rob
Rob added it
Mar 28, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Running on Empty: How the Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting Our Future and What Americans Can Do About It
  • Growing Up Empty: The Hunger Epidemic in America
  • A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the  Abuse of America's Intelligence Agencies
  • Every Nation for Itself: Winners and Losers in a G-Zero World
  • The Commanders
  • MIG Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko
  • Greedy Bastards
  • The Godless Constitution: A Moral Defense of the Secular State
  • Broke, USA: From Pawnshops to Poverty, Inc. - How the Working Poor Became Big Business
  • The Gamble: Choice and Chance in the 2012 Presidential Election
  • Zombie Economics: How Dead Ideas Still Walk Among Us
  • Treasure Islands: Uncovering the Damage of Offshore Banking and Tax Havens
  • False Dawn: The Delusions of Global Capitalism
  • The Liberal Hour: Washington and the Politics of Change in the 1960s
  • Ten Men Dead: The Story of the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike
  • Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America
  • The Cult of Pharmacology: How America Became the World's Most Troubled Drug Culture
  • The End of Growth: Adapting to Our New Economic Reality
David Alan Stockman is a former U.S. politician and businessman, serving as a Republican U.S. Representative from the state of Michigan (1977–1981) and as the Director of the Office of Management and Budget (1981–1985).
More about David A. Stockman...
The Great Deformation: The Corruption of Capitalism in America TRAITOR