Notes on Arrival and Departure: Poems

Notes on Arrival and Departure: Poems

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Rachel Rose follows her award-winning first book with a dazzling, urgent collection of new poems that look unflinchingly at our errors and our longings, in images that range from the disturbing to the spectacular. Anchoring the collection is a rich, unsentimental suite of lyrics on the journey of pregnancy and new motherhood. These poems are humanist, lushly imagined, and...more
Published March 22nd 2005 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about Notes on Arrival and Departure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes on Arrival and Departure

Mary Kathryn
Longer, plainer poems take us into the realities and twists of middle-aged responsibility, where love and beauty are grabbed at in snatches. Poems of domesticity, of making do and carrying on: "arranging our dental appointments, play dates, /separating the whites from the darks, /writing in the spaces in between."
I don't normally read poetry, but this is amazing. Narrative style poetry about life and death, the transformative process of becoming a mom, queernees, war, etc. It's political, it's revealing, it's intensely personal - I love it.
Patrice
I received this book as a gift and it was my introduction to contemporary poets/poetry. I saw myself in many of the pages. I cried and cried.
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Kymberli
Kymberli marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Rossa Sung
Rossa Sung marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2010
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2008
Paula
Paula added it
Jul 30, 2008
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2008
Song and Spectacle Giving My Body to Science The Animal Within Notes on Arrival and Departure: Poems Plenitude Magazine (Issue 4)