Start by marking “Being and Time” as Want to Read:
Being and Time

Being and Time

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  14,492 Ratings  ·  408 Reviews
One of the most important philosophical works of our time, a work that has had tremendous influence on philosophy, literature, and psychology, and has literally changed the intellectual map of the modern world.
Published August 1st 1962 by Harper & Row (NYC/Evanston) (first published January 1st 1389)

To ask other readers questions about Being and Time, please sign up.

Taylor This may be a bit late, but I found these resources to be helpful:

Karsten Harries seminar notes - http://karstenharries.commons.yale.ed...

John Tietz's…more
This may be a bit late, but I found these resources to be helpful:

Karsten Harries seminar notes - http://karstenharries.commons.yale.ed...

John Tietz's outline and study guide - https://ssl.humanities-online.de/down...

Roderick Munday's explication and commentary (only covers first half) - http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/b_reso...

Robert Cavalier's notes (doesn't cover all of the second division) - http://caae.phil.cmu.edu/Cavalier/802...(less)

Arjun Ravichandran
May 31, 2014 Arjun Ravichandran rated it it was amazing
The most important philosophical work of the 20th century, and a text whose influence will still be felt for some centuries to come, I am willing to reckon. Even if you are one of the many detractors, the fact remains that it is simply an outstanding monument to man's ability to think deeply, freshly, terrifyingly, and poetically about himself.
Heidegger's main focus is on Being ; what does it MEAN to be? This is of course an old question, stemming from the days of Aristotle, but Heidegger is fo
Alexandru Jr.
Jul 13, 2013 Alexandru Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
done.

it was like losing my philosophical virginity :)

and it feels like everything i have read until now was a preparation for this. including my "dipping" in it for seven years or so. and i'm glad i read (and discussed) augustine's confessions with a wonderful group of people, during a course - otherwise i would have understood nothing at all from the part about temporality.

the dynamic of the book is very musical, it seemed to me. drone-like. as if the loooong sounds are repeated and repeated ag
Pooja Kashyap
Mar 16, 2015 Pooja Kashyap rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Being and Time by Martin Heidegger is an ocean of infinite gems. It is one of those books, which require re-reading only to discern new motifs surfacing up every time. No single review can fully justify the thoughts running throughout the book. I did try jotting down few thoughts but am sure I still have missed some of them, which I might add later after reading it the second time.

Coming straight to book, ‘Being’ does not means presence, rather being is time and likewise never really shows its p
James
Oct 19, 2008 James rated it it was amazing
This book will change your life...if you can understand it. Heidegger is a brilliant man who sees the world in a way that is very different, yet very familiar at the same time. This work laid the foundation for a lot of modern philosophy. If you aren't familiar already with the concept of "being-in-the-world", then it's suggested you take a class on Heidegger, or read a beginning or companion guide. You know how sometimes when you're driving a car, you forget that you're driving, and think to yo ...more
Giorgi
Oct 24, 2016 Giorgi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f, must-read
before 1927 there was darkness and god said let's be light and published being and time

"our aim in the following treatise is to work out the question of the sense of being and to do so concretely

what determines beings as beings, that in terms of which beings are already understood."

but than god sad let's be cloud and there was only one part of being and time
Pete
Sep 10, 2008 Pete rated it it was amazing
This book made my life come back into light. It also serves as proof that philosophy is about life, and nothing else. Being and Time renewed a sense of autonomy and history that I hadn't thought possible, my responsibility for the places, people, and meanings I carry with me, and those that I choose to leave behind.
Kristina
This I will re-read, and re-read, and re-read, until I get all the chapters. This book actually blew me away and made me think differently about a lot.
My philosophy teacher told us to fall in love with the philosopher we're studying , like he had with Heidegger, and so I did too (completely ignoring the fact he was a nazi).
I will return to this very soon.
Ian
Dec 14, 2007 Ian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book changed my life. It helps that I'm a philosophy major, and took a class on the book (which I honestly recommend NOT reading it unless you have someone who actually understands it helping you). This is the book that make me decide to actually go into Philosophy, specifically 20th Century Continental. It's just... amazing.
me
Sep 15, 2012 me rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, philosophy
I would rate this as the number one philosophical book written in the 1900's. I wish I had read it in my twenties. Given, it is at times frustrating to read, however it is also addicting at the same time. This is one of the books I will keep with me for life.
Gary
Oct 15, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical
This is the best book I have ever read. I had no problem with the translator, Joan Staumbaugh seemed to have done a very good job. I couldn't imagine reading this book in German even if I spoke fluent German because the way Heidegger appropriates words. This edition provides Heidegger's added footnotes and the edition provides a much needed and used by me Lexicon for the Latin and Greek phrases.

I had no idea what "Being and Time" was going to be about before I read it. Every synopsis that I had
Μ C
Dec 30, 2013 Μ C rated it it was amazing
One of the most important philosophical books of the 20th century. Heidegger gives an idea of the ontological structures of existence. Some people have a love/hate relationship with this book, I sympathize with them :) My first read was in Greek and I found the translation to be challenging. It has nevertheless helped me to revaluate the book the second time I read it in English, I found it to be rewarding of my time and effort. If you haven't read Heiddeger before, it is not a good idea to star ...more
Apr 15, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Is it unreadable? Yes. Were the 17 words I did understand enough to blow my mind and change my life and understanding of philosophy and being? Yep.
Dr. A
---
Read this and reviews of other classics in Western Philosophy on the History page of www.BestPhilosophyBooks.org (a thinkPhilosophy Production).
---

It is hard to overstate the importance of Martin Heidegger’s Being and Time. It is a work that not only turned the world of philosophy upside down but it also inaugurated several new schools and movements - for example, existentialist phenomenology, popularized as existentialism, philosophical hermeneutics, and deconstruction.

Although Heidegger p
Neurosys
Jul 27, 2007 Neurosys rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: philosophy majors
A necessary read to see to turn from Cartesian philosophy. Heidegger "explodes all of the history of ontology" in this work, where he finally uncovers the question of being, which has been neglected since Plato and Aristotle first considered way back. Since philosophers, namely Descartes and Husserl, have assumed being to be an impenetrable subjectivity, a soul or an ego.

Heidegger main goal is undercut the ontology that generates either/ors, the kind of ontology found in Plato’s forms, Aristotle
David Williamson
Being and Time is perhaps the most important philosophical book of the 20th century that is unless you’re an Analytic philosopher, in which case it is just nonsense. I personally, am all for a book that created Continental philosophy and goes further than Wittgenstein in its deconstruction of Metaphyics, Epistemology, the problem of mind and body, of the world, other minds, etc. Basically dissolving all traditional philosophical problems and foundations.

As a philosophical text, Heidegger althou
Cliff Hays
Jun 30, 2013 Cliff Hays rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, favorites
This is one of the most rigorous and methodically constructed treatises you will find anywhere in philosophy. Heidegger is known for his difficulty, but this book holds an added challenge due to its cumulative dependence. What I mean is, you cannot possibly come to fully grasp the later sections of the book without grasping earlier sections. Every bit of the author's impressive terminology (whether it be a common term imbued with new meaning or a clever neologism) is systematically chosen, intro ...more
Virginia Slachman
Jun 24, 2014 Virginia Slachman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
When I first began reading Heidegger, he was eschewed by the academic community as a Fascist. As these things generally go, he eventually reclaimed his status as a brilliant thinker and was once more, thank goodness, embraced by the academy. Though Heidegger's thinking underwent many changes over the course of his career and though existentialists of all sorts of explored the "situatedness" of our experience, I've always been devoted to Being and Time for opening awareness to the complexities of ...more
Thomas
May 10, 2011 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Being and Time is probably the most difficult book I've ever read, even with the help of Dreyfus, Polt, and Blattner. (Who are great helps, all of them.) What's really interesting about the book is that Heidegger is simply describing basic everyday "common sense," but in order to get back to the common sense of Aristotle he has to deconstruct 500 years of western thinking. In order to do this he has to invent a new vocabulary that describes being in a extraordinarily rigorous and entirely new wa ...more
Alex Obrigewitsch
Jun 30, 2014 Alex Obrigewitsch rated it it was amazing
Reposting my short review from the Being and Time version, which no-one seems to post upon, despite (though this is only my opinion)Stambaugh's translation being superior.

A truly great work from a man whose thought only progressed from here. A book that one must read and reflect upon much more than once. It will ever be on my list of to-reread.
Heidegger opened the space for what philosophy is destined to become, if it is to remain alive.

Also, I agree with many others that this is not the best w
David
Sep 10, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
An incredibly difficult read, but well worth the effort. You have to work to learn Heidegger's language, but once you get the hang of it you can follow this masterpiece of Western Philosophy. This book is the foundation of all of Heidegger's thought and the culmination of 2 milllenia of Philosophic thought from Plato to Nietzsche and Husserl. At root this is really a book about Me and my relationship to the world I live in and my being in it. It helped me see things in a more profound way than I ...more
Rickeclectic
Dec 10, 2008 Rickeclectic rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hardcore philosophy lovers, Derrida fans
Recommended to Rickeclectic by: College
Shelves: philosophy
One of the most important books in philosophy. Unfortunately, this cannot be read by a novice. It would help to know phenomenology, existentialism, and a fair amount of the history of philosophy. The best summary for this book is actually the Yeats line asking how can you tell the dancer from the dance. Heidegger shows how meaning cannot be separated from its context and puts what may be the last nails in the platonic idealist notion of a humans having a knowledge of some reality of forms. Heide ...more
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Mar 28, 2013 Nathan "N.R." Gaddis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thinkers
Shelves: heidegger
In lieu of a review a brief history of philosophy.

I. The beginnings, e.g., the Pre-socratics.

II. Plato footnoted by Aristotle

III. Immanuel Kant aufgehoben by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

IV. 20th century showdown: Martin Heidegger v. Ludwig Wittgenstein

Charles Rutter
Feb 22, 2013 Charles Rutter rated it it was amazing
To me there is no one who approaches the most fundamental questions of phenomenology and ontology with such clarity and rigor as Heidegger. As a being for whom our being is a concern, this text is a must read for anyone who wishes to seriously think within the fields of philosophy, as many arguments can be made for the primacy of the ontological question in regards to philosophical thought. I highly recommend this work to persons of all degrees of interest in philosophy.
Nicola D'Ugo
Mar 24, 2014 Nicola D'Ugo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most acute philosophical essay after Nietzsche and before Deleuze. A travel to the disembodiment of the cultural egos in order to find a basis for the self, and to show the limits and disorder of contemporary sciences. The language is not difficult in itself, and there are many practical examples of daily life, but the repetition of the word 'being' in almost every sentence of the book renders it difficult to digest for most readers.
Christina
Jul 14, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well ... This is one of the key works of philosophy and a classic. Heidegger tries to figure out the meaning of being in this astounding work of immense scope.
This is one book that you can't just read once and then think you have understood - this one will require that you go back to it time and time again to get it all.
Very hard to read, very hard to understand, very impressive.
Sabine
Nov 02, 2008 Sabine rated it it was amazing
this book absolutely fascinated me. It was helpful though to have a German copy to read in parallel, as the translation into English sometimes "swallows" some of the world plays that make it easier to understand.
Time to re-read
William Yong
Sep 28, 2007 William Yong rated it it was amazing
addresses the most fundamental question. supplies a completely new language for understanding what it is to exist. possibly the most important book i have ever read.
AK
Jun 25, 2007 AK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the rigorous thinker with an existential bent
the book that rocked my worldview

Brandt
Jun 26, 2015 Brandt rated it it was amazing
If you read the reviews of the "they" and listen to the "idle talk" then, this book is probably not for you. There are very few important "stances" in philosophy. This is one of them. I would say there are very few important questions in philosophy but, I think that would miss the point of exactly what this book is getting to and that is the understanding of what comes before the question. This masterpiece is, and will always be, about the interrogation, deconstruction (yes, Heidegger was decons ...more
Pixie
May 31, 2013 Pixie rated it it was amazing
In short, if you even open this book expecting an easy read, you're a sad being. Heidegger is extremely difficult, he lays out language and explains how he uses it. You have to think in Heidegger's language and get used to his terms. If you can't do that this will not make sense to you. Period. It is beautiful poetic prose written in the only way one could write something so complex.
Heidegger gets a bad rep, for not being as clear as people would like, as philosophy student, I want to tell them
help for students 13 114 Aug 02, 2013 02:39PM
  • Cartesian Meditations: An Introduction to Phenomenology
  • Phenomenology of Perception
  • Truth and Method
  • Phenomenology of Spirit
  • Being-In-The-World: A Commentary on Heidegger's Being in Time, Division I.
  • Being and Event
  • Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus
  • Matter and Memory
  • Critique of Pure Reason
  • Process and Reality
Martin Heidegger (1889–1976) was a German philosopher whose work is perhaps most readily associated with phenomenology and existentialism, although his thinking should be identified as part of such philosophical movements only with extreme care and qualification. His ideas have exerted a seminal influence on the development of contemporary European philosophy. They have also had an impact far beyo ...more
More about Martin Heidegger...

“Everyone is the other and no one is himself.” 103 likes
“Why are there beings at all instead of nothing? That is the question. Presumably it is not arbitrary question, "Why are there beings at all instead of nothing"- this is obviously the first of all questions. Of course it is not the first question in the chronological sense [...] And yet, we are each touched once, maybe even every now and then, by the concealed power of this question, without properly grasping what is happening to us. In great despair, for example, when all weight tends to dwindle away from things and the sense of things grows dark, the question looms.” 53 likes