Start by marking “Common Sense Economics: What Everyone Should Know About Wealth and Prosperity” as Want to Read:
Common Sense Economics: What Everyone Should Know About Wealth and Prosperity

Common Sense Economics: What Everyone Should Know About Wealth and Prosperity

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  29 reviews
“The authors tell us what everyone should know about economics in language we can all understand. It’s refreshing when four of the best in the profession avoid the all-too-common practice of writing in a code that only other economists can comprehend.” ---Robert McTeer, former president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas

With the global economy recovering from a steep re...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Common Sense Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Common Sense Economics

Jeffrey
I've read several books on economics (outside of college Econ. 101 and 102), or, more specifically, the Fed., the current dominant money system, co-ops and alternatives to current money system, and so forth, but this is one everyone should read. Why? Here's the author to let you in on a secret:

"We are a nation of economic illiterates. As a result, we are easily misled by leaders who tell us of their good intentions--their passion to solve our problems. Our democracy puts voters in charge of cho...more
Chan Loch yeen
A book definitely for everyone, easily understood, with the least number of complicated jargon. It introduces basic rules of how the economy works at lay man term I would say.

I like this book because it doesn't just explain what is economics. It also relates us, individually to the economy. I believe this is what makes the book lively and interactive to me.

Last but not least, I love the true purpose of this book. Its aim is not to make you a economical genius, but to tackle a common problem fa...more
Glenn
This is an excellent introduction to basic economic principles. As the authors point out, we live in a nation of economic illiterates, and given the current political and economic environment, clear thinking about economics has never been more important. This book introduces the key ideas and issues and presents a clear explanation of what works and what doesn't in the real world. While not everyone will agree with all the specifics, I know of no book that better introduces the concepts and pres...more
Matthew
Mar 26, 2010 Matthew rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Citizen of the US
Recommended to Matthew by: Federalist Society
Another selection from the Federalist Society's Pre-Law Reading List, this book essentially confirmed a lot of my biases towards free market economics. It was a great introduction to the basic economic principles and also explained things that I didn't understand like monetary policy and capital markets. Essentially it laid out in a very logical way why government interference in free trade leads to economic ineffiencies, deceptive pricing and long-term negative effects no matter what good inten...more
Cyrus Carter
Excellent primer on economics and the individual's relationship at both the micro and the macro level. A must-read for anyone who needs to become financial literate.
Tony Beard
I've been reading a number of economics books lately. All of them have expanded my knowledge, but I probably should have started with this one. It's an outstanding introduction to the ideas of the Free Market system, and how betrayal to that system has brought about so many problems. In addition, the final section is all about personal finances. Some of it was common sense, but it was incredibly informative and got me thinking a lot more about investment. I cannot highly recommend this book enou...more
Brandy
This book is a great introduction to basic economic principles, and I'd suggest it to anyone who just wants to understand economics. It is well-organized and covers a range of topics from macroeconomics to microeconomics. The book's organization would lend itself well to just picking and choosing the topics you're most interested in, but I read it cover to cover and was left with a stronger sense of why I feel the way I do about economic policy in the United States.
Cavalier973
A top-notch primer on economic theory and application. Well-organized and easy to understand, the book covers basic theory, macroeconomic application proposals, and microeconomic (i.e. personal finance) applications.

The only criticism I have is the authors' sanguine view of central banking and the policy of money supply management. This comes from my recently started the study of Austrian Economic Theory.
Grant
This should be required reading for every person serving in public office from the municipal ranks on up to the President of the United States. In fact, those serving in the higher offices should be required to take a test on this book and obtain AT LEAST a 90% grade. That might completely wipe out the House and Senate and vacate the White House and most of the Cabinet, but I'm willing to take that chance!
Colette Campbell
Definitely not a page-turner, but it had some good info on how economics works in different areas, including government involvement (which made me wonder if a lot of our national leaders have ever taken an econ course), and personal finance. It was well organized so I could read just the sections that interested me and skip over the stuff that I found boring or didn't apply to me. Well explained and concise.
Ronald Barba
A really good refresher/intro on basic economics principles. I picked it up because one of my college econ professors is quoted on the inner flap (I know--stupid reason for buying a book).

NOTE: Economics from a Libertarian point of view (government intervention of free market principles is a detriment to the system). Still a good book on the essentials of economics, though.
Angie
Clear and well written explanation of economics for the non-economist. I enjoyed it!
Dawn
What sets this book apart from others on the same topic is that it adds a section at the end which instructs the reader how to apply the book's basic economic principles to daily life. Some of the information was common sense; however, for those who don't see a connection between global economies, the national economy and themselves, it is enlightening.
Christina
I read this book to get a good refresh and better overall understanding of economics. The book accomplished these goals and had an added bonus of relating economic principles to personal financial success. Bottom line, this is a great overview and lead-in to more detailed and complicated economic principles.
La-Shanda
The authors write economics in plain sense for secondary students and adults. Florida State University will be offering an online course in January 2014 for anyone who is interested in foundational economics (beginners). High school students can take the course at minimal cost and earn the sates economics credit.
Kelly Lloyd
Totally in line with my right/correct (!) thinking! Rules for public economy are very much like personal economy. Don't spend more than you have in your account. COMMON SENSE!! Good advice on personal finance at the end of the book, too.
Carolyn
We read this in our homeschool economics class this year and it was a perfect primer for the topic. The title says it right; this book explains what everyone should know and I think the world would be a better place if we all knew it.
John Seno
Easy to read, in this day and age we as responsible citizens must have a deeper understanding of the economic environment we live in. Deep knowledge of the economy will help us create real value in the marketplace and in our lives.
Dakota
Excellent little work, suitable for the general read or high school student. Plain, simple, and well-written. Not sure I'll use it in class but it would be a solid introduction for any high school class.
Xuejin Chuang
I'm only half-way through and I'm thorough impressed by the content. Easy to understand. Examples are also written with great explanation on causal-effect relationships. Worth the read.
Tom Coulter
Easily read in one sitting yet elegantly eloquent in explaining how wealth is created - and how it is destroyed. I give it away as a graduation present and have for years.
Destinee Sutton
I tried and failed at another economics book. This time it wasn't the book's fault, though. It turns out I'm just not as interested in economics as I thought I was.
Leilani
Perfect for what I wanted--a basic book about economics and how it applies to me and the world around me. Very easy to read and highly informative.
Jesse
Very informative/helpful for someone like me, who knows little to none about economics. Definitely has a Libertarian bias.
Sung-Min
economics. awesome.
definitely libertarian, just like the person who recommended it to me. hot.
Mary
It's a good book, though rather dry at times.
Ronald Vasicek
Great stuff for someone starting out financially
Derek
Well written primer on economics.
§--
TOP-DOWN ECONOMICS!!!
Aleksandr Sergeev
Aleksandr Sergeev marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • The Making of Modern Economics: The Lives and Ideas of the Great Thinkers
  • How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes
  • Money Mischief: Episodes in Monetary History
  • The Birth of Plenty: How the Prosperity of the Modern World Was Created
  • Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy
  • Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?
  • Berkshire Hathaway Letters to Shareholders
  • Star Wars: The Magic of Myth
  • IIM Ahmedabad Business Books: Day to Day Economics
  • Saving Capitalism From The Capitalists: How Open Financial Markets Challenge the Establishment and Spread Prosperity to Rich and Poor Alike
  • China Shakes the World: A Titan's Rise and Troubled Future -- and the Challenge for America
  • FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal Prolonged the Great Depression
  • Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest & Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics
  • The Machinery of Freedom: Guide to a Radical Capitalism
  • Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline
  • The Naked Communist
  • Islam: The Straight Path
  • How Markets Fail: The Logic of Economic Calamities
James D. Gwartney holds the Gus A. Stavros Eminent Scholar Chair at Florida State University, where he directs the Stavros Center for the Advancement of Free Enterprise and Economic Education. He is the coauthor of Economics: Private and Public Choice, (South-Western Press, 2008), a widely used principles of economics text that is now in its 12th edition. He is also the co-author of Common Sense E...more
More about James D. Gwartney...
What Everyone Should Know About Economics And Prosperity Economics: Private and Public Choice Economics: Private and Public Choice Microeconomics: Public & Private Choice Microeconomics: Private and Public Choice