Start by marking “Basic Principles of Classical Ballet” as Want to Read:
Basic Principles of Classical Ballet

Basic Principles of Classical Ballet

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Discusses all basic principles of ballet, grouping movement by fundamental types. Diagrams show clearly the exact foot, leg, arm, and body positions for the proper execution of many steps and movements. Offers dancers, teachers, and ballet lovers information often difficult to locate in other books. 118 illustrations.
Published June 1st 1969 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Basic Principles of Classical Ballet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Principles of Classical Ballet

Lori
I've started taking ballet classes again, and my teachers use the Vaganova system. Since I'm absolutely terrible, I figured reading a book about it would help, and it did. Hooray!
Sarah Badger
A great tool for any ballet teacher or dancer with an interest in the nitty gritty of classical ballet.
My ballet syllabus is largely based on the Vaganova method (some Bournonville and Balanchine influence) as passed down from my teachers and other second hand sources, so it was about time I read about the methodologies from the source herself. This book helped me better understand the technique and also gave me some ideas for improving my syllabus and class structure.
Jay
Ahhh, my beloved ballet.

This is famed Russian ballet teacher Vaganova's style of dancing, written out. She discusses her style, how they are similar and different to French (École Française) and Italain (Cecchetti) schools. She describes different steps and gives an example lesson.

Lovely book, though with teachers definitely in mind.
Daado_92
Daado_92 marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Huixue
Huixue is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Iiris Penttilä
Iiris Penttilä is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2014
Elsa
Elsa marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Rita Oliveira
Rita Oliveira marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kat Finnigan
Kat Finnigan marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Jsml
Jsml marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Rachelccameron
Rachelccameron marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Candice Candy
Candice Candy marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Classical Ballet Technique
  • Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet
  • The Ballet Companion: A Dancer's Guide to the Technique, Traditions, and Joys of Ballet
  • 101 Stories of the Great Ballets: The Scene-by-Scene Stories of the Most Popular Ballets, Old and New
  • The Pointe Book: Shoes, Training & Technique
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • Winter Season: A Dancer's Journal
  • The Diary of Vaslav Nijinsky
  • Nureyev: The Life
  • Ballet Beautiful: Transform Your Body and Gain the Strength, Grace, and Focus of a Ballet Dancer
  • Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet
  • Once a Dancer: An Autobiography
  • Dancing on My Grave
  • Ballerina: Sex, Scandal, and Suffering Behind the Symbol of Perfection
Basic Principles of Classical Ballet: Russian Ballet Technique Le basi della danza classica Foundations of Classical Ballet: New, complete and unabridged translation of the 3rd edition