Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Time of the Daleks” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Time of the Daleks

Doctor Who: The Time of the Daleks (Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas #32)

NOT A BOOK. NOT AN AUDIO BOOK. This is an original full-cast audio play produced by Big Finish Productions.

The Doctor has always admired the work of William Shakespeare. So he is a little surprised that Charley doesn't hold the galaxy's greatest playwright in the same esteem. In fact she's never heard of him.
Which the Doctor thinks is quite impossible.

General Mariah Learm
Audio Play
Published May 2002 by Big Finish Productions Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Wart Hill
Jul 08, 2014 Wart Hill rated it really liked it
Poor Charlie!

also Daleks quoting Shakespeare is weirdness
Christopher Buchanan
"Time of the Daleks" seems like it was spit out of a random Dalek story generator. There's an unnecessaryily convoluted scheme that involves Shakespeare for some indeterminate reason. The Doctor shows up and is instantly accepted as some kind of authority with no effort at all and, even better, he is ostesibly integral to the Daleks plans despite the fact he never really does anything helpful for them. So naturally they just let him run around and interfere to his hearts content without botherin ...more
David
Apr 16, 2016 David rated it it was ok
I'd recommend giving this one a miss. Perhaps it's just me. As a poor listener on this one. I usually like Justin Richards. Heard this in bits and pieces. Not in one or two or three sitting but many. It's my first Dalek audio. Only-hearing the Dalek's, instead of seeing them on TV, super-grated on my ears. And they talk a lot in this one. Nix talk. They screech. And screech and screech.... Not the greatest story either, tho. Maybe me and Daleks audios don't mix?
Mel
Sep 10, 2013 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Daleks quoting Shakespeare! This was awesome. There was a plot of daleks trying to obtain time travel technology and have a working time corridor but the most important thing about this audio was them quoting Shakespeare! Which just sounded brilliant. A reasonable adventure with a fun twist.
Devin Harvey
Jan 21, 2014 Devin Harvey rated it did not like it
To put it simply, this audio was just a total bore. Not a terrible idea, conceptually, but it just did not work out in the end. The Daleks are interested in going back in time to meet Shakespeare, and like many times before they have supposedly softened and are no longer evil beings and just care about literary masterpieces. It's kind of a silly-sounding story, and was even silly at times during the audio, but sadly just ended with me feeling let down. I wouldn't have even minded it being totall ...more
Kate Sherrod
Dec 05, 2015 Kate Sherrod rated it it was ok
Someone, somewhere, got drunk at a party attended by just the right people, who were also drunk, and were the sort of people who thought "Lead on, MacDalek" was the funniest thing EVER and what a great idea for a Doctor Who story let's file that away for when we get desperate... And they hit desperate all too soon because they'd been going to parties and getting drunk and showing up to work hung over and on deadline for a story and were still just drunk enough to think this was a good idea becau ...more
Avarill
Nov 01, 2009 Avarill rated it liked it
The Daleks do Shakespeare! Yay! Even when not quoting the bard they are positively chatty compared with their usual rather limited 'conversation'. But that's not the only appeal of this story, as Margaret Thatcher also appears. Oh they don't actually call her that, but boy does it sound like her.

Alas, as often happens, the plot and the sci-fi explanations get pretty convoluted (ie they lost me) but the 'Shakespeare is lost on the masses' argument of one of the characters was an interesting one
Yosef Shapiro
Oct 25, 2012 Yosef Shapiro rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, tv-shows
The idea sounded a bit more interesting than the usual Dalek story. The Daleks being intersted in the works of William Shakespeare is a rather unique idea. But, as always when dealing with temporal parodoxes on Doctor Who, the idea becomes very confusing and convoluted. It still is worth listening to.
Nicholas Whyte
The Eighth Doctor and Charley end up in a complex time-paradox plot with a near-future British dictator and the Daleks. This completely lost me when it became apparent that the Daleks wanted to restore Shakespeare to history, from which he had mysteriously gone missing. Daleks with literary taste of any kind? Seems utterly out of character.
Noah Soudrette
Apr 21, 2008 Noah Soudrette rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, audio
While this is a very different Dalek story (which is a good thing) it is also unnecessarily convoluted. It does do a good job of continuing the season's arc and finally bringing to a head the Doctor's decision to save Charley and its effect on the web of time. Despite it's failings, it's quite worth it just to hear Daleks quote Shakespeare.
Steven
Dec 02, 2012 Steven rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who, plays, british
The Doctor is confused enough when he finds that Charley has never heard of William Shakespeare. But when he travels to Britain in the near future and discovers a leader obsessed with watching Shakespeare's plays — and the Daleks wanting to help her — the mystery grows more sinister. Can the Daleks really claim to be the 'Masters of Time'?
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Time-travelling Daleks attempt to take over the world in a diabolical plan that involves wiping Shakespeare out of history. Eh. This was little more than a lot of half-baked ideas that might have been better with a little more care and attentions, lots of Daleks and humans rushing about and shooting stuff up. Bit of a mess, really.
Angela
Jul 18, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
The Doctor and Charlie get involved with Daleks and time travel. I suspect this story started with what would happen if the Daleks spoke Shakespearean quotes. It's a clever story that is reminiscent of Evil of the Daleks. It's all about trying to stop Daleks escaping from a time warp thing. A fun, listen, one of the better Dalek audio plays.
Stephen Osborne
Mar 04, 2016 Stephen Osborne rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, although the convoluted plot is sometimes hard to keep track of. I had to go back and listen to some parts again to make sure I was getting things right! Once I had it all in my head, though, I liked the story. People like the Daleks, but it's hard to come up with new things for them. They work well for audio, though, as those voices conjure up...well, Daleks!
Nancy Kelley
Apr 13, 2015 Nancy Kelley rated it really liked it
I always love any story with the Daleks (well... almost any story), and since this one centered around the disappearance of Shakespeare from history, it had an added appeal to me. It was a solid story, with a few twists I hadn't expected. It also ended with an ominous portent of what was about to happen to Charley. (I've already listened to Neverland and Zagreus, so I know what's coming for her.)
Auden Granger
Nov 30, 2013 Auden Granger rated it it was ok
Another audio adventure that was really difficult to follow.
Drew
Jun 19, 2013 Drew rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-drama
Honestly, I'm not sure I even understood what was happening most of the time. I'm definitely going to have to give this one another shot.
Steven
The Daleks apparently have a love of Shakespeare. Who knew?
Leela42
Dec 14, 2009 Leela42 rated it it was ok
Audio adventure with the eighth Doctor and Charley. A well-constructed plot badly written, and the directing doesn't improve on it. You're better off finding a detailed outline to read.
Meredith
Dec 01, 2015 Meredith rated it liked it
It was alright, but not nearly as good as other Doctor and Charley adventures.
Debra Cook
Mar 12, 2013 Debra Cook rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Absolutely fantastic Dalek time travel adventure. A must have to a Doctor Who audio collection.
Sara Habein
Dec 14, 2013 Sara Habein rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
It was good, but not great. Or maybe since I enjoyed the last one I listened to so much, it seemed like more of a letdown, but this wasn't bad.
Erichyde
Aug 31, 2014 Erichyde rated it liked it
Three stars for the gimmick of the Daleks reading Shakespeare.
Sativa
Jun 21, 2016 Sativa rated it liked it
Not my favorite.
Thomas Clegg
Thomas Clegg rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2007
Anne Barwell
Jul 24, 2016 Anne Barwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-play
Daleks quoting Shakespeare. Weird but in a good way.
Sam Mackley-ward
Sam Mackley-ward rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Ritchie
Ritchie rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Dennis Elten
Dennis Elten rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
  • Doctor Who: Seasons of Fear
  • Doctor Who: The Fires of Vulcan
  • Doctor Who: Caerdroia
  • Doctor Who: The Eye of the Scorpion
  • Doctor Who: Bang-Bang-a-Boom!
  • Doctor Who: Spare Parts
  • Doctor Who: The Twilight Kingdom
  • Doctor Who: The Last
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more
More about Justin Richards...

Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas (1 - 10 of 223 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time