Start by marking “Me and a Guy Named Elvis: My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley” as Want to Read:
Me and a Guy Named Elvis: My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley

Me and a Guy Named Elvis: My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Commemorating the thirtieth anniversary of Elvis's death, an intimate memoir of a friendship with the greatest artist in rock and roll history, taking you from late-night parties at Graceland to the bright lights of Hollywood sets and glittering stages of Vegas.
On a lazy Sunday in 1954, twelve-year-old Jerry Schilling wandered into a Memphis touch football game, only to
Published August 1st 2006 by Gotham Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Me and a Guy Named Elvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and a Guy Named Elvis

Eddie Belcher
I am 42 and have been an Elvis fan for over 35 years. During that time I have read quite a few Elvis biographies; however, this one stands out at the top of the list due to Jerry Schilling’s sincerity and close tie to Elvis Presley -the man- as well as the entertainer. As a close insider, Jerry Schilling is able to give some very detailed accounts of his years as one of Elvis' best friends and most trusted Memphis Mafia members.

Jerry does a very admirable job of giving fans a chance to really s
Anthony
There were some interesting points about this book. I found the insight to Elvis never really socializing outside of his inner circle, the first hand personal side of Elvis, and the Beatles meeting very interesting. I thought Schilling himself going to UCLA while working for Elvis was interesting, especially since I grew up in the area and could picture him walking up and down the hill along Sunset.
But there was some off putting stuff in the book as well. Schilling is very full of himself and tr
Diane Heath
This was an insider's look at the life of Elvis Presley. Reviews from Priscilla Presley and Lisa Marie both support Jery Schilling's book. He met Elvis when he was 12 and Elvis was 19. The book does not deny the drug problems that Elvis had but does not make them the center of the books. It is a well balanced look at Elvis and you know that Jerry truly was a friend to Elvis. As he states in his forward "I wouldn't want to speak for Elvis Presley and tell you that I was his best friend. But I can ...more
I wanted to read a biography about Elvis before I went to Graceland, and chose this book. I learned a lot about Elvis the person. I thought the author did a great job of describing the kind of person Elvis was, not just all of his accomplishments.
Jake
Hands down, this is the best book on Elvis Presley written by a member of The Memphis Mafia. Through his well-chosen words, Jerry Schilling looks past the legend and remembers Elvis, the flesh-and-blood human being. What a great read.
Dlittle
ok book told by a friend of Elvis'. He seemed like a real nice guy in this story, which is a little different than the book written by his ex-wife. Got it at Graceland when I went with Maria.
Rhys
I love Elvis...and I like to hear what went on between him and his friends. However...Jerry Schilling is such a sap...it's hard to believe they were just "friends." (I'm just sayin')
Shahrun
If you are looking for a sensational behind the scenes tale of dirt on Elvis, look away now. This is a story of friendship, albeit under the most extraordinary and unique circumstances. I felt this book was honestly written and genuine. Jerry Schilling has certainly led a fascinating life. He is so lucky to have been blessed not only with a good friend, but a wealth of different opertunities as a bonus to the friendship. He also gained my respect when I read that he was able to go off and persue ...more
Greetje-greta
It was an ok book,found it a little boring at times.Read a lot about Elvis and this was not the best.
Msmeemee
May 14, 2007 Msmeemee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to bang elvis for his looks or his voice or both
Shelves: biographies, music
let me start off by saying that my review of this book is totally biased for two reasons.

first, look at the cover. the boy was fine as fuck. i'm a fan for his fuckableness if not for his musical genius.

second, i've already crowned him the king of rock n' roll despite what others may have said contrary to that. anyone who can dress up like a blinged-out adult karate kid and have performers after him (ie., michael jackson, prince) follow suit has GOT to be the king (if not a queen) in my eyes.

but
Kim
This felt more like a publicity stunt and autobiography of Jerry Schilling than Elvis himself. I can't take his word seriously when he says that he is "best friends" with Elvis but over the course of the book is impressed and excited to see that his "best friend" knows how to spell his last name and remembers some things about him. He feels more like a fan than a true friend to me and it just seems that he tries to make himself look like a "true friend" of Elvis by telling stories that bash all ...more
Erica
This is the third Elvis biography that I have read in the past 2 weeks and my favorite by far. Thank you Jerry for sharing your friend with me. Elvis was a legendary artist and performer, but I think people often forget that he was also a human being. I love him and I love this book.
Art
I've read basically all of the most important Elvis books out there but this one above all made me feel like I knew him.
Francis Cuncich
A nice glimpse into the Memphis Mafia...
Marie
I loved this book as a fan the King has always interested me and this guy not only was a fan you get a real sense of kinship. He isnt there to big himself up and shows genuine warmth and affection for the Elvis, but who also wouldnt bow down to Elvis, his temper and demands, its worth noting that both Pricilla and Lisa-Marie have both written forewords, which to me indicates a real closeness to all members of the family.
If you are a fan you couldnt get a more honest account.
Kristine
Excellent memoir of Jerry Shilling's lifelong relationship with Elvis Presley. Jerry recounts how he met Elvis playing neighborhood football, how he came to work for Elvis as one of his entourage, what it was like on movie sets and on tour with Elvis and much more. This book gives a real personal behind the scenes look at Elvis the man.
Sharon
A wonderful guided insite of Jerry Schilling's life from the point of meeting Elvis and to his last heart felt sad days after loosing his friend. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and would recommend it to any Elvis fan. This is a keeper for my library.
Garrett
If you've ever fantasized about joining a superstar's entourage and having him one day buy you a house, this book is for you. Not exactly an in-depth, unbiased book about Elvis, but an interesting story from a guy who was part of the Memphis Mafia.
Claudia
This is one of the best books I've read on Elvis Presley. Jerry Schilling was so kind and so loyal to his kind-hearted and generous friend Elvis. I recommend everyone read this book.
Gabrielle
Poignant, intimate look at a lifelong friendship that goes beyond the legend. Jerry Schilling's account is the only one I've read that doesn't feel like it was about cashing in.
Tom Schulte
Don't seek the salacious here. What you will find is an honest, warm appraisal of a complex and largely misunderstood icon but a close friend. A good read!
10-11 Chase
This is a very courogous story about a man who was a very good friend of elvis presley and he talks about his life with and without elvis.
Melissa Brothers
One of the best biographies on Elvis. And I swear I've read every one written over the past 20 years! :)
Rebekah
Another fantastic book. Jerry puts a different kind of light on Elvis that very few have seen.
Tony Costa
Excellent read. I really enjoyed it!
Dawn
I learned a lot about Elvis and definitley shed a tear at the end.
Carter Powers
A new chapter in The King's life, but only for the real fans.
Pam Pitcher
I love this perspective of Elvis.
  • Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him
  • Elvis by the Presleys
  • Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley
  • Elvis and Ginger: Elvis Presley's Fiancée and Last Love Finally Tells Her Story
  • Elvis Presley (Unseen Archives)
  • Elvis: What Happened?