Start by marking “With Love and Laughter, John Ritter” as Want to Read:
With Love and Laughter, John Ritter

With Love and Laughter, John Ritter

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  41 reviews

With Love and Laughter
is actress Amy Yasbeck’s most enduring memory of the life she shared with her husband, John Ritter. He was one of America’s most popular and beloved film and television actors. We welcomed him into our homes weekly with his Emmy Award–winning portrayal of Jack Tripper on Three’s Company and his hit comedy 8 Sim
Published September 7th 2010 by Gallery Books (first published December 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about With Love and Laughter, John Ritter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Love and Laughter, John Ritter

Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
I was expecting much more about John. I knew that Yasbeck would be in the book, but I didn't realize she would be in SO much of it. I found it insulting that the author didn't talk about John's original family and found it disturbing that there were no pictures of his children besides Stella. Ms. Yasbeck seems self absorbed and in my opinion this book does not cast her in a good light. I loved John Ritter. My favorite performance of his was on "Felicity" in which he played Ben's troubled alcohol ...more
Jmtimms2
I was at the library with my daughter and just caught a glimpse of this book. It was small and short, so I picked it up. I spent the next three hours reading the book and finished it the next day. What a beautiful labor of love. Written by Ritter's widow without the assistance of a ghost writer, it is a beautiful testament to a great example of celebrity and a great love. She leaves out just enough to keep some things for herself but adds just enough to make you really get John Ritter. It was ve ...more
Dawn
Feb 15, 2014 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of John Ritter
Recommended to Dawn by: I am a fan of John's and wanted to read it.
A loving tribute to a wonderful actor. I often think of John Ritter and still get teary eyed when I see him on tv, thinking that he left this world too soon and it could have been avoided with the proper tests and treatment. I first remember John when I was a little girl and he played the minister on one of my favorite shows, "The Waltons". I never really watched "Three's Company" as a child, because it came on at my bedtime and in the 70's, my Mom considered it a show not meant for children (th ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Who doesn't recall ever watching at least one episode of the 1970's sitcom Three's Company? Or maybe you're a horror film fan and you recall seeing the TV movie Stephen King's It? Most people have seen actor John Ritter in some show or film at one point or another, and this book, written by his wife, it discusses who he was not just as an actor, but as a person. Well-written and very intriguing, this book is definitely one worth reading. Unfortunately John Ritter died in 2006 at the age of 54 bu ...more
Gaynor Paynter
Nearly finished reading it and so far, I am a little disillusioned with this.. I was expecting much more about John Ritter and more pictures of his shows, posters etc, as he was such a visual actor. The title "With Love and Laughter, John Ritter" indicates to me that it should be completely biographical about John, and less about the author. Agree with other reviews - I'd have liked more about John's first wife and older kids also and more about his career. I understand that it's completely Amy ...more
Winter  Sophia Rose
Funny, Moving, Insightful & Uplifting! I Loved It!
Kristin
Well, Amy Yasbeck is a talented writer, but she's not that great of a biographer. The book was an enjoyable read, but John Ritter became more of a character in her life than a presence in the biography. I didn't really learn all that much about his life. I am actually interested to read another biography about him that was written by someone else. But, this is an enjoyable read.
Linda
What a lovely book. This is written by Amy Yasbeck (Wings, Robin Hood Men in Tights), the wife of John Ritter.

This book is written with love and humor and in such a conversational way you feel that you could just talk with the writer. She has a fun sense of humor (I could totally hang with her) with which she lets you glimpse a little into the life and heart of one of our most beloved comedic actors.

I grew up with John Ritter as Jack Tripper. It was fun to reminisce a little about some of the r
BJ
Feb 18, 2011 BJ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any fan of John Ritter
My first choice book for the 2011 Memorable Memoirs challenge was "With Love and Laughter, John Ritter" by Amy Yasbeck. Like much of the rest of the world, I was a huge fan of funnyman, John Ritter and very saddened when he died unexpectedly, much too young. His wife, Amy Yasbeck writes a very heartfelt and surprisingly readable memoir of their life together with their daughter, Stella. The only real complaint I have is that I felt like it left out a lot of his life. She writes a very short acco ...more
Jason
I remember growing up watching Three's Company and I was a fan anytime John Ritter was in something in his later years. I loved "Noises Off" and his role as "Ted" on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I didn't get into his last show much (I don't think we had DVR's yet) but I'm looking forward to going back and catching the dvds as well as watching some other things the book talked about. I have the entire dvd series of Wings and I was fan of Amy's (Casey) but I had no clue she could write such a moving ...more
Sue Seligman
Amy Yasbeck, the wife of John Ritter has written a combination memoir/biography. She writes about John Ritter's early life and career, as well as her own, and then discusses their lives together, careers, parenthood and marriage. The most poignant part of the book concerns John's unexpected death from a little known condition of aortic dissection. Her book was interesting and insightful, but I was disappointed that very little was mentioned about John's first wife, and although his children from ...more
Chantal
I liked this book, however I thought it was a little one-sided. I guess that can happens with biographies! I felt like there wasn't as much substance as I would have liked and thought there it was a little heavy on how wonderful and saintly he was. I did like reading about him, just would have liked a bit more.
Mary Reed
Very good book. It is nice to read a bio that doesn't trash the person they are writing about. It was nice reading about John Ritter. He was such a great actor. He is truly missed.
Michelle (Champ)
What a sweet story. You can tell the love she had for John. You can tell the importance they had on each other and their relationship. He seemed like a riot off screen too, and very much in love with his kids. His passing made me sad because I am a big fan....here we see how his family felt. It's not all sad. We find out about John's roots, career and hobbies. Amy downplayed her own strengths and made John look great. I am sure he wasn't so perfect and I know she's a better actress than she port ...more
Evelyn Arvizú
I really enjoyed this book I was a huge John Ritter fan since childhood. He was a great comedian & still miss him.
Cheryl  Madigan
I LOVE John Ritter, from a young girl watching Three's Company when I was probably too young for the content. His sudden death was such a shock and just so sad. This is a very sweet book, but really didn't grab me the way I thought it would. It was nice to read some personal stories about his personality and his love for his fans and family, but over all, it was just ok. I am usually a fast reader but this book took me a long time to get through.

RIP John Ritter
Jesse
I was expecting and hoping for more out of this book. I loved John Ritter as a celebrity, and it is clear through the book that Yasbeck loved him thoroughly, but it just wasn't the story I was hoping to read. Often felt over done, and just not a story I connected to for the most part. I found the title somewhat misleading- based on the title I assumed the book would be mostly about John, yet that wasn't really the case, unfortunately.
Joshua
Loved everything about this book--

Amy writes with such emotion, a type that you never really saw in a memoir. Found myself going misty at several turns in the book.
The words lovingly illustrate fond recollections of this gifted actor..makes one wish to have known him, if not at least met.
The book exemplified the difference between sympathy and empathy for me--tended to turn towards the latter throughout.
Kimberley Koz
I expected this book to be heart-wrenching as its written by Ritter's widow. But I was delightfully surprised by Yasbeck's humor and writing talent. I enjoyed learning about her life and career outside of John's. Her love for John was evident in every chapter and made me want to watch his movies and Three's Company all over again. I truly enjoyed this book.
Jamison
you know, this is a good book. and it tells about a talented fellow. but . . a lot of this was about amy yasbeck, as well. perhaps it would have been better to put that somewhere in the title. "my life with . . ." or something.

that being said, it's a good book, with excellent tips on comedy acting.
Kim
Nov 25, 2014 Kim added it
Nice reminiscences of her dear husband. Brought back many memories of this endearing actor.
VegasGal
A nice tribute to the great comedian, John Ritter, filled with many funny and touching moments experienced by his wife/author. However, it felt like something was missing from the story, for example, maybe a small part on how the couple met would have been a nice touch if it was included.
Kristina Hoerner
While it was a quick read, the book was much more about Amy Yasbeck than it was about John Ritter. Great poignant details about life with his life and daughter but absolutely no details about the rest of Ritter's life. I was at least hoping for details from his shows.
Maureen
A loving story from the widow who experienced a totally unexpected loss of her husband. John Ritter apparently was the same wonderful comic in his every day life as we came to know on Three's Company and he kept everyone's spirits up even after his death.
Gina
An emotional and beautiful memoir on Amy's life with John Ritter. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Amy at a book signing. She is a strong, and beautiful woman who is bringing awareness to the disease that took John's life.
Mary
One chapter in the beginning and the last 60 pages were about John Ritter. This was Amy Yasbeck's attempt to build her career on the coat tails of John's death...Not recommended if you are looking to read about John Ritter.
Debbie Phelps bunim
Thought it would be more about John vs. Amy. Limited pics and information on him with his older children. More about Amy and her career than of John's. It was a good read, but disappointing for those reasons.
Donna Hunt
Beautiful tribute to John Ritter by his wife. Lots of laughs, tears, and a good understanding on what killed him and the awareness that needs to be shared to save lives, just as John would want.
Laura Mallard
Touching story of what life was like being the wife of John Ritter. It was nice to read that John was as kind off-screen as he was on. Also, who knew Amy Yasbeck was so funny?
Sheri White
Great book about Amy Yasbeck's life with John Ritter. Somewhat sad, of course, but mostly enjoyable reading about the kind of person John Ritter was in real life.
  • Cloris: My Autobiography
  • Laughs, Luck...and Lucy: How I Came to Create the Most Popular Sitcom of All Time
  • Growing Up Again: Life, Love and Oh Yeah, Diabetes
  • Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny
  • Untied: A Memoir of Family, Fame, and Floundering
  • One More Time
  • Why? Because We Still Like You: An Oral History of the Mickey Mouse Club
  • She Always Knew How: A Personal Biography of Mae West
  • Men are Stupid...and They Like Big Boobs: A Woman's Guide to Beauty Through Plastic Surgery
  • The Man Who Saw a Ghost: The Life and Work of Henry Fonda
  • 'Tis Herself
  • I'm Just Sayin'!: Three Deaths, Seven Husbands, and a Clone! My Life as a Daytime Diva
  • The Charms of Miss O'Hara: Tales of Gone With the Wind & the Golden Age of Hollywood from Scarlett's Little Sister
  • You Have No Idea: A Famous Daughter, Her No-nonsense Mother, and How They Survived Pageants, Hollywood, Love, Loss (and Each Other)
  • Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm
  • As I Knew Him: My Dad, Rod Serling
  • Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne
Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: A Gutsy Guide to Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother!