Start by marking “Hook, Line & Sinister: Mysteries to Reel You In” as Want to Read:
Hook, Line & Sinister: Mysteries to Reel You In

Hook, Line & Sinister: Mysteries to Reel You In (Harry Bosch #15.5)

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Sixteen of America's favorite author-anglers spin tales of mystery and fishing in this collection. From the tragic to the comic with many stops in between, these stories reflect the authors' passions for both making stories and catching fish. Michael Connelly, Ridley Pearson, John Lescroart, Don Winslow, Melodie Johnson Howe, Victoria Houston, and others all share a myster ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 19th 2010 by Tantor Media

To ask other readers questions about Hook, Line & Sinister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hook, Line & Sinister

Cindy
May 12, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific compilation by some of my fav authors. Something to please everyone — including you if mystery is your genre. Enjoyed it & will reread. Recommended.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I enjoyed this collection of stories, all related to fishing in some way, and all containing a mystery. I know nothing, really, about fishing, but that didn't matter. And I don't read short stories consecutively; I put the book down after reading one, and usually return another day. About half of these authors are familiar to me. I think all the stories were well-written. There was some humor, some weirdness, some Hitchcock-ness, and some characters got what they deserved, albeit illegally. A ni ...more
Patty
Jun 07, 2010 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because there are several stories here by authors I've heard a lot about but have never read. Short stories are a good place to give a new author a try without trying to get through a whole novel. Although there was only one story that I really disliked, there were many that were just "okay".

I should mention that I'm not a big fan of the "gritty realistic" style of writing and could care less if I never read about another gangster or hitman so these stories were obviously
Scott
Mar 15, 2014 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I simply couldn't finish this book. It is a collection of short mystery stories, each by a different author. I checked it out for the one Harry Bosch story that I knew was in there somewhere. The first story (not the Bosch story) was so bad (very sexual and poorly written) that I didn't finish it. The second was OK enough to get through, but nothing exciting; it was a predictable outcome from the first page. I'm glad that the Bosch story was the third one. It was good to see Harry again in a sho ...more
Jamey
Jul 25, 2015 Jamey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be fair, there were about 3 or 4 stories that were really good. The rest were average except for one that truly stank. I thought the one by Victoria Houston was the best & the stinker was by Andrew Winer.
Linda
Jul 06, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would give some of these short stories a 3 or 4, but others barely a 1.
Doneen
Feb 06, 2014 Doneen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only picked this book because T. Jefferson Parker was the editor and there was a story by Michael Connelly. I obviously didn't pay any attention to the title or the book cover. Way too much fishing stuff!
Matt
Feb 14, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bosch teams up with FBI Agent Rachel Walling to investigate a spree of missing women. When they narrow in on a likely suspect, however, all leads appear to dwindle and they reach a dead end. After casting a larger net, they tap into one final lead, in hopes of bringing it all together. Even the smallest nibble could bring the whole case to a close...

A great short story by Connelly to entertain the reader while they enjoy a morning cup of coffee.
Grey853
May 25, 2010 Grey853 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
Ron
Nov 30, 2012 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best part of the 16 short stories is that they are short. So, even if you did not care for a story, it was over quick.
Too many of the recent books that I have read just go on and on and on filling up pages.

One of the previous reviewers related that the stories were disappointing, but got better to the end. So I read this book backwards. But I thought that most of them were good.
QuesterMark
I picked this up because Michael Connelly had a story in it, but it turns out I'd already read that story as part if a recent Harry Bosch book.

I think the best story in here is "Dead Drift" by Spring Warren.

T Jefferson Parker did a pretty good job arranging the stories. The stories get better as one gets further into the book.
E.
Nov 30, 2010 E. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Interesting collection of mysteries with unifying theme of fishing. Dana Stabenow effortlessly creates her Alaskan backdrop with Jim Chopin and Kate Shugak involved in investigating a possible crime in Cherchez La Femme. Wonderful fundraising book, authors donated their royalties.
Laren
This is a collection of stories from various authors which include the sport of fishing in them. This just underscored for me that I am really not all that interested in fishing, but the stories were all interesting and well-written, so they were worth the read anyway.
Miki
Jun 29, 2010 Miki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories which I don't normally like, and I only got this because it had a Dana Stabenow story with Kate Shugak. That one was pretty good, but the rest are violent, gory and repelling. Won't be searching for more by any of those writers!
Tom Hicks
Some very good stories and some not. If you're a fan of fishing or mystery this book of short stories will appeal to you. I like most of them, especially the one from William G. Tapply, who recently passed away. He will be missed. Cheers.
Justin
Jun 07, 2012 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fishing-etc, mystery
There are some good stories here, esp. the last few, but it's wildly uneven. Some of the fishing descriptions are off, too, but that's a minor issue. There are a variety of genres here, but they fit together well in the collection.
Gary
Aug 18, 2014 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really a fan of short stories but due to my love for Michael Connelly's books decided to make the effort. The story is interesting and certainly entertaining but obviously lacks the depth of a full length novel.
Katie Christian
I've read a few compilation books in the past and this is probably my favorite. I loved the fishing theme with a twist of danger! Fishing will never look the same to me again. Some of these stories were truly excellent!
M.W.
Dec 02, 2013 M.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book for a bedside table in the guest room. Not that these stories will put you to sleep. As in all multi-authors book of short stories, some are better than others. In this book some are very good.
Kel
Oct 12, 2011 Kel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I got this book to read the story by Victoria Houston. I enjoyed that one, but didn't finish most of the others b/c they were not my style.
Elsie
May 17, 2010 Elsie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neat collection of short stories by mystery authors that all involve fishing. Fun read.
Sheila
Jun 09, 2013 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of short stories by thriller writers revolving around fishing stories.
Sheila
May 12, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compilation of mystery stories revolving around fishing.
Sheldon Lehman
Nov 14, 2012 Sheldon Lehman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GReat collection of great mystery writers!
Al
Jun 05, 2010 Al rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Need to like fishing to enjoy book,
Andy Blundell
Andy Blundell marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
LINDA MCCLENDON
LINDA MCCLENDON marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
shanay
shanay marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Gregoire
Gregoire marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2004
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2006
  • The Big Book of Adventure Stories
  • Night Visions: The Hellbound Heart
T. Jefferson Parker is the bestselling author of 20 crime novels, including Edgar Award-winners Silent Joe and California Girl. Parker's next work is a literary novel, Full Measure, to be published in October. He lives with his family in Southern California
More about T. Jefferson Parker...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #5)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #8)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch World, #12)