Start by marking “Hook, Line & Sinister: Mysteries to Reel You In” as Want to Read:
Hook, Line & Sinister: Mysteries to Reel You In

Hook, Line & Sinister: Mysteries to Reel You In

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Sixteen of America's favorite author-anglers spin tales of mystery and fishing in this collection. From the tragic to the comic with many stops in between, these stories reflect the authors' passions for both making stories and catching fish. Michael Connelly, Ridley Pearson, John Lescroart, Don Winslow, Melodie Johnson Howe, Victoria Houston, and others all share a myster ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 19th 2010 by Tantor Media

To ask other readers questions about Hook, Line & Sinister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hook, Line & Sinister

Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I enjoyed this collection of stories, all related to fishing in some way, and all containing a mystery. I know nothing, really, about fishing, but that didn't matter. And I don't read short stories consecutively; I put the book down after reading one, and usually return another day. About half of these authors are familiar to me. I think all the stories were well-written. There was some humor, some weirdness, some Hitchcock-ness, and some characters got what they deserved, albeit illegally. A ni ...more
Patty
I picked up this book because there are several stories here by authors I've heard a lot about but have never read. Short stories are a good place to give a new author a try without trying to get through a whole novel. Although there was only one story that I really disliked, there were many that were just "okay".

I should mention that I'm not a big fan of the "gritty realistic" style of writing and could care less if I never read about another gangster or hitman so these stories were obviously
Scott
I simply couldn't finish this book. It is a collection of short mystery stories, each by a different author. I checked it out for the one Harry Bosch story that I knew was in there somewhere. The first story (not the Bosch story) was so bad (very sexual and poorly written) that I didn't finish it. The second was OK enough to get through, but nothing exciting; it was a predictable outcome from the first page. I'm glad that the Bosch story was the third one. It was good to see Harry again in a sho ...more
Jamey
To be fair, there were about 3 or 4 stories that were really good. The rest were average except for one that truly stank. I thought the one by Victoria Houston was the best & the stinker was by Andrew Winer.
Linda
I would give some of these short stories a 3 or 4, but others barely a 1.
Doneen
I only picked this book because T. Jefferson Parker was the editor and there was a story by Michael Connelly. I obviously didn't pay any attention to the title or the book cover. Way too much fishing stuff!
Matt
Bosch teams up with FBI Agent Rachel Walling to investigate a spree of missing women. When they narrow in on a likely suspect, however, all leads appear to dwindle and they reach a dead end. After casting a larger net, they tap into one final lead, in hopes of bringing it all together. Even the smallest nibble could bring the whole case to a close...

A great short story by Connelly to entertain the reader while they enjoy a morning cup of coffee.
Grey853
Ron
The best part of the 16 short stories is that they are short. So, even if you did not care for a story, it was over quick.
Too many of the recent books that I have read just go on and on and on filling up pages.

One of the previous reviewers related that the stories were disappointing, but got better to the end. So I read this book backwards. But I thought that most of them were good.
QuesterMark
I picked this up because Michael Connelly had a story in it, but it turns out I'd already read that story as part if a recent Harry Bosch book.

I think the best story in here is "Dead Drift" by Spring Warren.

T Jefferson Parker did a pretty good job arranging the stories. The stories get better as one gets further into the book.
E.
Interesting collection of mysteries with unifying theme of fishing. Dana Stabenow effortlessly creates her Alaskan backdrop with Jim Chopin and Kate Shugak involved in investigating a possible crime in Cherchez La Femme. Wonderful fundraising book, authors donated their royalties.
Laren
This is a collection of stories from various authors which include the sport of fishing in them. This just underscored for me that I am really not all that interested in fishing, but the stories were all interesting and well-written, so they were worth the read anyway.
Miki
This is a collection of short stories which I don't normally like, and I only got this because it had a Dana Stabenow story with Kate Shugak. That one was pretty good, but the rest are violent, gory and repelling. Won't be searching for more by any of those writers!
Tom Hicks
Some very good stories and some not. If you're a fan of fishing or mystery this book of short stories will appeal to you. I like most of them, especially the one from William G. Tapply, who recently passed away. He will be missed. Cheers.
Justin
There are some good stories here, esp. the last few, but it's wildly uneven. Some of the fishing descriptions are off, too, but that's a minor issue. There are a variety of genres here, but they fit together well in the collection.
Gary
Not really a fan of short stories but due to my love for Michael Connelly's books decided to make the effort. The story is interesting and certainly entertaining but obviously lacks the depth of a full length novel.
Katie Christian
I've read a few compilation books in the past and this is probably my favorite. I loved the fishing theme with a twist of danger! Fishing will never look the same to me again. Some of these stories were truly excellent!
M.W.
Wonderful book for a bedside table in the guest room. Not that these stories will put you to sleep. As in all multi-authors book of short stories, some are better than others. In this book some are very good.
Kel
I got this book to read the story by Victoria Houston. I enjoyed that one, but didn't finish most of the others b/c they were not my style.
Elsie
Neat collection of short stories by mystery authors that all involve fishing. Fun read.
Sheila
A compilation of short stories by thriller writers revolving around fishing stories.
Sheila
Compilation of mystery stories revolving around fishing.
Sheldon Lehman
GReat collection of great mystery writers!
Al
Need to like fishing to enjoy book,
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Mike Chenault
Mike Chenault marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Evie Childs
Evie Childs marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
  • A Century of Great Suspense Stories
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2006
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2003
  • Futureproof: A Novel
  • Prodigal Father, Pagan Son: Growing Up Inside the Dangerous World of the Pagans Motorcycle Club
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2004
  • Beacons: Stories for Our Not So Distant Future
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2008
  • Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)
  • Dark Masques
  • Four Dark Nights
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
  • Red Sky at Night (Thorn, #6)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2013
T. Jefferson Parker is the bestselling author of 20 crime novels, including Edgar Award-winners Silent Joe and California Girl. Parker's next work is a literary novel, Full Measure, to be published in October. He lives with his family in Southern California
More about T. Jefferson Parker...
L.A. Outlaws (Charlie Hood, #1) Silent Joe California Girl The Blue Hour The Fallen