Start by marking “Thinking About the Longstanding Problems of Virtue and Happiness: Essays, a Play, Two Poems, and a Prayer” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In this first collection of writings by Tony Kushner, including his latest play Slavs!, the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright grapples with the timeless issues of bigotry, war, faith, love, as well as tackling the contemporary topics as AIDS, gay rights and the moral horrors of the Gulf War.
Published April 1st 1995 by Theatre Communications Group

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking About the Longstanding Problems of Virtue and Happiness

Jordan
Mar 20, 2011 Jordan rated it it was amazing
This book comprises several of Tony Kushner's smaller works in the mid-90's. The most substantial portion of the text is Kushner's Slavs! play, which acts as something of a sidenote to 'Angels in America.' It's not exactly an easy burden to accompany one of the greatest American plays of the 20th century, but Slavs! brings up some interesting overlapping points on the nature of change in the context of the fall of the Great Experiment of Socialism. Kushner seems to be at his most fluent writing ...more
Dan
Apr 23, 2008 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: y08, for-real
"The hope offered by the identity-politics movements has collided catastrophically with the counterrevolution, and the temporary deferral of that hope has given birth to frustration and desperation; which in turn has given birth to a politics based on nationalism. Nationalism... brings with it moral blindnes and heavily defended, bristling boundaries... Before we can lay claim to our common humanity, we must learn to recognize and respect Difference and what it tells us about the infinite comple ...more
Dave
Sep 18, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
As other goodreads members have commented, the essays are a little uneven, though particularly important is Kushner's concept of tolerance in "Some Questions About Tolerance." His prayer is emotional, his poems are seductive, but, for me, the crowning achievement of this collection is Slavs. It's funny and scathing. As usual, nothing is sacred, and no social or economic system is safe, not even love or hope. What's more, this play probably wins the prize for characters with the longest names (fo ...more
Will
Jul 30, 2007 Will rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like essays, people who enjoy seeing Andrew Sullivan get a thorough smackdown
This collection is very uneven, but contains what's probably my favorite essay ever, a brilliant response to Andrew Sullivan's assimilationist politics called "A Socialism of the Skin." This essay, which is brilliant, hilarious, and beautifully written, makes the book worth checking out, even though the rest of the book wasn't particularly memorable. But I've returned to that essay probably a dozen times since I first read it and can't recommend it highly enough. It's astonishing.
Moira Burke
Feb 21, 2010 Moira Burke rated it really liked it
" As with any of the members of this list, I really recommend any book by these authors, and this is especially true of Tony (Angels in America) Kushner. His moving commentaries on gay life, Russian politics, and the meaningfulness of art stick with you, inspiring weeks of deep thoughts and only slightly blurry optimism."
Ari
May 16, 2007 Ari rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Intellectual snobs
I had to read the essay in this book for a class in college. I sat there with dictionary.com open all night, trying to follow along, but utterly moved.
Matt
Mar 31, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
A book of essays and stuff from one of my favorite playwrights. Kushner's intelligence and personality come through in every word, and his essay pretension is worth the price of admission alone.
ML Delaney
Jul 11, 2015 ML Delaney rated it it was amazing
This remains my favorite Kushner, and my most gifted choice for graduates.
Byron
Byron marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
R. S.
R. S. added it
May 15, 2016
Query Books
Query Books rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Biganderz
Biganderz marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Sofia Smith
Sofia Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Laurel Renardson
Laurel Renardson rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Katealily
Katealily rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Paddy Dale
Paddy Dale marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Patrick Lyra
Patrick Lyra marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Mona
Mona marked it as to-read
Florian Alatorre
Florian Alatorre rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
LeeAnn
LeeAnn rated it really liked it
Jonathan Taylor
Jonathan Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Tim Yves
Tim Yves rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
  • Tiny Alice
  • Joe Turner's Come and Gone
  • Inner Workings: Literary Essays 2000-2005
  • Autobahn
  • Three Plays: Our Lady of 121st Street / Jesus Hopped the A Train / In Arabia, We'd All Be Kings
  • Stone Cold Dead Serious: And Other Plays
  • Isn't it Romantic
  • Mad Forest: A Play from Romania
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
Tony Kushner is an award-winning American playwright most famous for his play Angels in America, for which he was awarded the Pulitzer Prize. He is also co-author, along with Eric Roth, of the screenplay of the 2005 film Munich, which was directed by Steven Spielberg and earned Kushner (along with Roth) an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay.
More about Tony Kushner...