Start by marking “Who is the Beast?” as Want to Read:
Who is the Beast?

Who is the Beast?

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  40 reviews
When a tiger suspects he is the beast the jungle animals are fleeing from, he returns to them and points out his similarities with other creatures of the jungle.
Published by Harcout Brace & Company (first published September 12th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Who is the Beast?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who is the Beast?

midnightfaerie
A great preschool age or K book about animals, with maybe the underlying theme that there's a beast in all of us. Colorful illustrations keep children's attention while they focus on finding the body parts talked about on the pages. Short enough to keep the younger ones interested and probably not enough words to make it a level 1 reader. Still, all my kids enjoyed it, even though it's not one of their favorites.
Lisa Vegan
Well, I read this because it was listed as a good book for vegan kids. Well, okay, I guess, if we’re talking empathy in the sense of seeing the similarities of all animals, and then extrapolating to humans, and then following that line of thought to humans being just one other kind of animal. There is definitely no overt vegan/vegetarian message.

But, this is a wonderful book, a really fun book.

The illustrations are beautiful, big, bold, vibrant, colorful, whimsical, and also can be used as a mys
T.L. Wood
This is such a cute story! It was one of my daughter's favorite stories when she was young. She had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Baker when he toured her school when she was in kindergarten and have him autograph her copy of his beautifuly illustrated book. She still has it today and reads it to my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter who also loves this story. This story teaches a great lession that just because we all look different, there are likenesses about each and everyone of us that make us all un ...more
Swear Ahmed
This picture book is very cute. It is likely intended for children ages 3-5. The story starts with animals hiding from the "beast" which is the tiger. The tiger simply looks at himself and at the other animals and points out the similarities they have. They all come to the conclusion that they are all beasts. I think the story line is adorable. I like the message it sends. Although our whole image may look different we still have small similarities that make us all the same. Being a Muslim woma ...more
Caitlin Lichtenberg
When I first opened this book and started flipping through the pages, I thought that the story was going to go roughly like this: Each page talks about a different part of the beast (tail, whiskers, stripes) and then in the end reveal who the animal is. I just dismissed it as a childish book that had no real depth.
I will admit that I was wrong! This book has the loveliest message about animals that can teach us about ourselves: we're all monsters and beasts in our different ways! There's no rea
Kelsi
I thought that this was a great read and I think that children would enjoy it. I loved the illustrations of the forest and the different animals. The colors that were used were vibrant and reminded me of Africa and my own experiences there. The story line was very simple, but it was creative in the way it was told. I think that children would really enjoy this story and it is informational in that it focuses on the different beasts of the forest. I loved that it compared the different animals to ...more
Jessica Gilligan
Baker, Keith. (1990). Who is the Beast? Harcourt Brace and Company: New York.
Choice

This books is about finding similarities and acceptance. There is a beast in the jungle and the animals are afraid. They each name an attribute of the beast, but it is not clear who the beast may be, although it can be assumed that the beast in question is the jungle tiger (based on the each attribute and the illustrations). However, we later we realize that the tiger has also been trying to find out who the beas
Ara
A very lovely rhythmic book
Barbara
A tiger hears all the animals warning each other about the beast who is near -- the beast who has a swinging tail, yellow and black stripes, strong legs, green eyes, and long, white whiskers. He wonders who this beast everyone is so afraid of might be. He looks into the pool and sees his reflection, and is puzzled. "Who is the beast? Who can it be? I see no beast. I just see me." He then compares himself to the other animals and is able to find some other animal who shares one of each of the cha ...more
Israel Graves
(Wordless or Almost Wordless Books)This almost wordless book I really enjoyed reading. The illustrations had incredible patterns and colors in them. There werent many animals in the pictures but there were tons of greenery with lots of details! I think children would really enjoy the rhyming scheme in the text of this book. Im not sure though whether the books illustrations could stand alone and still tell a story. Overall the age group I think this book is appropriate for young children as earl ...more
Maggi Idzikowski
Answering the question, "Are we animals, too?" is made easier after reading this story, in which a tiger compares herself to several other animals. It also addresses the concern of others' perceptions of us, as beasts or anything else: I get the idea that the tiger doesn't really think of herself as a beast.
Matthew Triplett
This book was great to read. The message of the book would be great to teach children. It teaches that the tiger had things in common with all of the animals he came in contact with. All of us have things in common. This book would be good to teach kids that everyone is equal.

-Matthew Triplett
Greta
Excellent illustrations. Great read aloud for exploration related to character point of view, reading context clues to identify character, compare and contrast, and theme of tolerance for differences.
Cory
This book was great for beginning readers. I loved the colors and the progression of investigative skills. I think this would be a great classroom reader.
Milo
Mama likes how this book encourages us to see how the things that scare us in others are often times things we have ourselves.
Michael
The first half is a little frightening, but it resolves into a wonderful tale about similarities and traits among animals.
Jacinda Ramsey
Beautiful pictures....especially love the koi!
Kristin Traina
This is a great book for teaching hypothesis, and inquiry. In the book the tiger is very curious about a beast he keeps hearing about and it turns out it is him. It goes through several of his characteristics until he is fully escrowed, just like collecting evidence in an experiment. You could also use it in conjunction with a lesson on animal characteristics. If you covered up the pictures it would also be great for imagery.
Grades: K-3 science inquiry, questioning, hypothesis, curiosity
Erin
Read this to Kindergarten today. I asked them who they thought the beast was before we started: they all said, "The tiger!" As we read it they had fun pointing out the other animals on each page, who each share a characteristic with the tiger. At the end they knew the beast was "Everybody!," the monkey, the bee, the snake, the fish, the frog, and the tiger.
Polly
I love this book; we are indeed all beasts, and the world would be a better place if we recognized it. I read this almost as often as There's a Bird on My Head at story times, which, let me tell you, is A LOT!
Carissa
10.) Who is the Beast? By Keith Baker
Baker, K. (1990) Who is the beast? Harcourt Brace Big Books.
Illustrated by N/A
Summary: This book is about life in the jungle and a tiger that hides. The listeners have to find parts of the tiger hidden on the page. I would use this book in the classroom to teach about the jungle or tigers/ other animals.

Kia M.
This book has wonderful illustrations, and a great rhyme scheme. This book could be used in a lesson on predictions. "The beast, the beast! I must turn back. I see his stripes, yellow and black!" You could ask your students what they think the animal may be, and these questions could continue throughout the story as more details are given.
Rjgolden
Tiger hears all of the animals in the jungle warning other animals of him. He then tries to prove to the other animals that he is just like them. This story could be used for pre-k and kindergarten students to help them realize that we all have some type of similarity, and that we shouldn't judge one another.
Clarissa
This is a beautiful book, with fantastic artwork. Animals warn taht the tiger is near, and then the tiger compares himself to each of them and finds similarities between them. In the end he concludes that they are all beasts.

Keith Baker is one of my favorite author/illustrators of books for very young children.
Peacegal
Beautiful illustrations. The tiger pads through the jungle, wondering why all of the animals fear him and call him a "beast." The tiger points out that he and the other creatures are more alike than different. Great conversation starter about similarities we share with other members of the animal world.
Kristen
I'm always on the hunt for a great picture book. Especially those with a good story and message.

This is a great book with beautiful illustrations. Hattie, Millie, and I LOVE this book. It has a nice undertone of tolerance. Comes highly recommended by me.
Christine Turner
All the animals in the jungle are afraid of a mysterious, unknown beast. Who can it be? Keith Baker's vibrant bestseller conveys an important lesson about acceptance and understanding that young children,and their families will be eager to share. www.hcpl.net
Kelci Cox-Griswold
The animals in the jungle describe what the beast looks like (a tiger). The tiger doesn't see a beast, but just himself. He shows the other animals that in ways they look like him too. This book could be used to show kids not to judge others by their appearance.
Guadalupe Ramirez
I enjoyed reading this book as it starts by describing "the beast," with the illustrations providing just small clues as to who is the beast. Therefore, this book is great to teach children about predictions. It's also a great book to teach about adjectives.
  • Mouse Mess
  • Flower Garden
  • In the Tall, Tall Grass
  • What a Wonderful World
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Feathers for Lunch
  • Jazz Baby
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • This Little Chick
  • Hello, Day!
  • Ten In The Den
  • Mice And Beans
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Baby Danced the Polka (ALA Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
More about Keith Baker...
No Two Alike Big Fat Hen 1-2-3 Peas Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors Hickory Dickory Dock