Start by marking “Il castello errante di Howl (Il castello errante di Howl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Il castello errante di Howl (Il castello errante di Howl, #1)

Il castello errante di Howl (Howl's Moving Castle #1)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  132,914 Ratings  ·  8,496 Reviews
La giovane Sophie vive a Market Chipping, nel lontano e bizzarro paese di Ingary, un posto dove può succedere di tutto, specialmente quando la Strega delle Terre Desolate perde la pazienza. Sophie sogna di vivere una grande avventura, ma da quando le sorelle se ne sono andate di casa e lei è rimasta sola a lavorare nel negozio di cappelli del padre, le sue giornate trascor ...more
Paperback, Mangazine, 245 pages
Published July 28th 2005 by Kappa (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Il castello errante di Howl, please sign up.

Marlee I personally find the book much better than the movie. If the book never existed, I would say the movie was beautiful on its own, but the book leaves…moreI personally find the book much better than the movie. If the book never existed, I would say the movie was beautiful on its own, but the book leaves it in the dust. A lot more story and characters, much more humor, and very easy to get lost in.
Overall, if you're more of an art and animation fan, the movie is the way to go. If you want more story, the book.
Not to mention there are two books that follow it that are also high up on my favorites list.(less)
Mai Ke I think the brown Colour fits better with the beginning of the Book and the Film. If he made her too beautiful and special from the start, he couldn't…moreI think the brown Colour fits better with the beginning of the Book and the Film. If he made her too beautiful and special from the start, he couldn't show the progress. In the Book you read what Sophie thinks of herself, and you tend to forget she is in Reality quite pretty. In the Film you see her the whole time, so he had to show this another way.(less)

Cara
Jul 14, 2014 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Honestly what made me want to read this book was the movie. *gasp* I know, I know shouldn't do that. The movie was good (I am a fan of Hayo Miyazaki's films) and I wasn't disappointed in the book. As always much of the book wasn't put into the movie, but it was understandable because I imagine it would be hard to piece together a movie with all the components this story has.

To really grasp and understand the book I would suggest that it be read twice I think. Since I did watch the movie I wasn't
Catie
This book is completely magical and this is how I know:

On the fourth of July, we crammed ourselves into our car (my husband, mother in law, two girls, and I) and drove for over an hour to go see some fireworks. There was traffic almost the entire way, and I was jammed in the back in between two booster seats, which let me tell you – was not comfortable. I am a tall person and my knees basically alternated between being squished in between the two front seats, or slanted crazily off to one side.
Mark Lawrence
Sep 12, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my daughter, Celyn (10), who is too disabled to read books by herself.

I had seen some of the anime film version years ago but remembered basically nothing of it.

I found the whole thing original and refreshing. The point of view character (Sophie) is engaging and no-nonsense with a very capable can-do attitude. The story moves along at a good pace and the whole moving castle / multiple doors thing is a great idea and used well.

The Welsh connection is well-played, and the continuing
Kat Kennedy
Jun 26, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart and half a brain
For some reason I've been reading a lot of really great books lately. I feel that itch to find something I can tear apart and relish in the destruction. However, Howl's Moving Castle didn't provide me with that opportunity.

It is an amazing and fantastic book. The characters are so very different, funny, quirky and lovable that I was sucked in right away. The storyline was intriguing and fun to read. The writing was quite good and the world was utterly fascinating.

If you've watched the movie then
Riley
Mar 24, 2016 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This was such an enchanting story!
Emma
Oct 07, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Hayao Miyazaki made "Howl's Moving Castle" into a feature length animated film in 2006 (2004 if you saw it in Japan), it was a book written by Diana Wynne Jones in 1986. Due to the inherent difficulties of creating an animated film, Miyazaki greatly abridged and adjusted the plot of the novel for his movie. I happened to enjoy both film and novel but after reading the book I realized that the plot is extremely different in the novel--enough that the book and movie become completely differ ...more
Apatt
Apr 19, 2016 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
After finishing Howl's Moving Castle I immediately Googled “Diana Wynne Jones” to see how many more books in this series I can look forward to. The first thing I noticed was
“Died: March 26, 2011”. My reaction was “WTF? And we are just getting acquainted!”

The book starts off charmingly with:
“In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three.”

This misfortune falls on 18-year-old Sophie
Cait • A Page with a View
HOW IS THIS SO DIFFERENT FROM THE MOVIE?!!? I picked this up on a whim because I adore the Miyazaki film, but this is like a totally different story. And I can't believe I'm saying this about one of my favorite movies, but I like this book waaaaay more. I don't know why on earth they had to make all the silly changes.
seak
Dec 13, 2011 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I watched the movie, Howl's Moving Castle, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, when I was going through my anime phase, not to mention I'm pretty much always going through a Christian Bale phase. I loved it, of course, it was so odd and just plain weird, exactly why I enjoy anime so much.

This was quite a while ago, and it wasn't until just recently that I started reading reviews of the book by Diana Wynne Jones, so I ordered it right away. And, because my "to read" pile is enormous, it sat on my shelf f
Mangrii
Feb 09, 2016 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Hatter, la mayor de tres hermanas, sabe que al ser la mayor de la familia su destino es fracasar. Por ello, tras la muerte de su padre, no se molesta cuando se queda como aprendiza en la tienda de sombreros de la familia, mientras que sus dos hermanas van a diferentes lugares donde sobresalen. Tras llamar la atención de la Bruja del Páramo, Sophie se convierte en una anciana de 90 años, y por culpa de un hechizo, no podrá contárselo a nadie. Toda decidida, coge sus pertenencias y emprende ...more
Mariel
Feb 11, 2011 Mariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: it still moves
Recommended to Mariel by: stillness is the move
I'd started writing this review yesterday. I had to quit because I was busy having one of my anxiety fits about using cliches, not saying what I really mean, unclear sentences, my bad grammar, blah blah. I worry about it so much that it is hard to write anything.

Howl's Moving Castle is one of those books that I wish I'd not read so I could read it again. That's a cliche, it's true, but it is true. A lot has been written about Howl's on goodreads so I'll try and say something beyond all of the t
Jo Woolfardis | Infinite Variety Books
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time, so decided it was about time I just jump straight in. My deepest heart's desire was that I'd find the female-equivalent to Terry Pratchett, but sadly that is not the case.

It was written so well and Diana has an amazing imagination that makes Neil Gaiman look normal. But sadly the characters were flat and I felt nothing for any of them, though I think Howl was the most wonderfully developed of the lot. They were all a little bit "I'm only her
Katerina Kondrenko
10 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Scott Thomas feat Jonathan Clay – Heart On Fire

Genre: high-fantasy, fairytale
Stuff: moving castle (duh), magic, curse
WOW: characters, humor
POV: 3rd-person, female
Love-Geometry: seeming

Quote-Core:
"You have an instinct, Sophie. Nothing is safe from you."

Imagine the Beas
Daniella
Delightful a'f, I don't know what more you could want in a whimsical fantasy

-This book will appeal to every age group and gender.
-It's simple yet extremely well plotted
-You can read it in one sitting!
-Doesn't rely on tropes at all, it's its own original story
-You will feel joy throughout the entire book
I highly recommend this.
Gail Carriger
Nov 20, 2014 Gail Carriger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya, comic, fantasy
Howl's lingers with me because of the humor, because of the perfectly executed twisting plot, because of the snapping dialog. Diana is possibly the best writer of her generation but because she wrote mainly YA in a time before HP she was disregarded. You want to know what I think a book should be like? Read this one.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Update: Well that worked much better the second time around. I thought this YA fantasy was charming and original, though it was occasionally confusing, and I wished some things had been explained a little better. I really felt for Sophie, the main character, who feels so timid, trapped and hopeless that when she's hit with a curse that turns her into an old woman, it actually frees her in more ways than one. She leaves her dead-end job and, for lack of a better option, moves herself into the odd ...more
Maria Clara
Nov 16, 2016 Maria Clara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sencillamente mágico!
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
My all-time favourite movie had a book it was based off first?! :O :O :O

This newfound knowledge pleases me immensely.

description
Anzu The Great Destroyer
What is love? Oh baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more.

Robin
Feb 28, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy fairytales
This was a charming story. I've never read Diana Wynne Jones before and enjoyed it quite a bit. It reminded me a lot of Neil Gaiman's Stardust (although I did not like that one nearly as much). The character of Sophie Hatter was well done - I liked her wit and her "take no prisioners" attitude.

The supporting case was also good. I particularly liked Calcifier and his interactions with Sophie. As to Howl himself, there was no doubt in my mind his "true self" and I knew from the start where the tal
Erica (daydreamer)
March 26 2011. I just found out Diana Wynne Jones died today. The day I start reading my first book of hers. I don't know much about this author, I'm unfamiliar with her works, but I can feel people's loss, the fans of her writing. And I can still thank her for becoming the well known and loved writer she apparently was. She contribruted to the literary world that I love, and any author who can do this and write amazing fantasical novels earns my respect.

My review
3/27/11

Howl's Moving Castle is
Mari
May 03, 2016 Mari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

I talk about this book in this video wrap-up.

This was my first read of 2016, and it was a lovely and enchanting way to start my reading year. Howl's Moving Castle is so much of what I love in books: whimsy, a vivid setting, bright characters and found families.

Wynne Jones' is told in such a clean and straightforward way that it makes the fantastical elements and setting stand out all the more. In turn, the brightness of those elements really help to balance and at times highlight the darker ele
Kristijan
Dec 25, 2014 Kristijan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haulov pokretni zamak je izuzetno kreativna i šarena bajka koja čitaoce ne ostavlja ravnodušnim. Glavni likovi su izuzetno maštoviti i trodimenzionalni, a pejzaži kojima lutamo zajedno sa njima poprilično živopisni.
Čitaoci na momente mogu predvideti neke stvari, ali to ni u kom slučaju ne može da naruži lepotu ovog romana.
Dajem čistu peticu Haulovom pokretnom zamku, a na listu stavljam nastavak.
Šteta je što roman nije nešto naročito promovisan i popularizovan u Srbiji i što je tek nekih dvadese
Hannah
Apr 27, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Quite different from the movie but no less fantastic.

Needless to say, I loved it.
Hannah
Nov 25, 2014 Hannah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2013-reads
After a good initial start, this story never took off the way I anticipated (and hoped) it might. The writing style was difficult for me to get caught up in, and I kept waiting for something enchanting and thrilling to happen. Unfortunately, after chapter 3, nothing did. At all.

While I appreciated some aspects of Wynne Jones fantasy building (the castle and it's doorway portals in particular), I don't see where she executed these ideas in any kind of sustained imaginative way. Apart from Howl (w
Jessica
Jul 23, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best fantasies, and a clever mystery besides. Read it, for probably the 10th time, but this time I read it aloud to my 7yo. He loved it, though I did have to explain a few things. I would love a Calcifer of my own.
Regan
Nov 16, 2014 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
Elevetha
May 02, 2013 Elevetha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind loose ends
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
Well, I liked it. It could have used the opposite of editing which is something I rarely say. Things weren't there that should have been. Also the romance could\should have been handled better. It kinda went something like:

Howl: Hello, old lady.

Sophie: Hello, famous wizard.
*accusingly* You like young ladies, do you not?

Howl: Why yes, they are quite nice. You, however, are quite old. Clean my magical moving castle for me?

Sophie: Why not. You need to change me back into a young lady again anyway
Loederkoningin

Yup, this picture pretty much sums it up: a colourful quirky little fantasy tale that brings back memories of bedtime stories.

I too watched the movie first, got curious and picked up the book. And however the Japanese did a splendid job at bringing Howl with his dangling earring and dazzling androgynous looks - and the castle, which is masterly designed - to life, I'm glad that the book has a much richer plotline. I love all the cute and imaginative elements. Compared to the book, the movie is
Tania
Feb 04, 2012 Tania rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-no-star
I don't get what's so great about this book. I found it boring, the characters are meh and tbh how Wynne Jones draws out a storyline over 200 pages when they could cover 100 is completely pointless, and did I mention, boring.

I was interested in the introduction of Sophie and her sisters, but then the Witch of the Waste turns Sophie into a 90-year old lady and it just becomes boring. She joins Howl's Moving Castle and become a "cleaner" there after making a contract with the fire demon that powe
Uncovered Book Club: Howl's Moving Castle (Raeleen's Pick- January 2017) 11 82 Jan 19, 2017 02:09PM
El Cuaderno Invis...: Capítulos 13-15 7 17 Oct 31, 2016 03:46AM
El Cuaderno Invis...: El castillo ambulante [película] 5 25 Oct 21, 2016 03:05AM
El Cuaderno Invis...: Capítulos 19-21 21 30 Oct 20, 2016 03:35AM
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Perilous Gard
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #1)
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Changeover
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Moribito, #1)
  • Wise Child (Doran, #1)
  • The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen
  • Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2)
  • Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed fantasy stories, including the Chrestomanci series and the novels Howl's Moving Castle and Dark Lord of Derkholm.

For Diana Wynne Jones's official autobiography, please see http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/aut...
More about Diana Wynne Jones...

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)

“I think we ought to live happily ever after.” 1352 likes