Start by marking “De vrouw van de tijdreiziger” as Want to Read:
De vrouw van de tijdreiziger

De vrouw van de tijdreiziger

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,088,180 ratings  ·  39,638 reviews
De vrouw van de tijdreiziger is het verhaal van Clare, een studente kunstgeschiedenis, en Henry, een avontuurlijke bibliothecaris. Ze leerden elkaar kennen toen Clare zes was en Henry zesendertig, en trouwden toen Clare drieëntwintig was en Henry eenendertig. Onmogelijk, maar waar: zonder dat hij er iets aan kan doen verplaatst Henry zich door de tijd, vooral op voor hem e ...more
Published November 2009 by Boekerij (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about De vrouw van de tijdreiziger, please sign up.

Afshan Rajkotwala The movie is missing so many things that the book has--more development of characters, more time travelling experiences, more happiness, more sadness,…moreThe movie is missing so many things that the book has--more development of characters, more time travelling experiences, more happiness, more sadness, and a different ending! You need to read it!(less)
Alexi There are about 10 sex scenes, including forced sex acts and cheating. C-word is also there. My opinion, not for kids.

I'm only adding this book because it annoys me that it popped up on the "most popular reads." People, this book is terrible. Do yourself a favor and pretend you'd never heard of it.

My short answer is that it's just no good, the long version is in the following list, which I call "The Problems I Have With The Time-Traveler's Wife."

1. The author is indecisive. Rather than accepting that this is a science-fiction novel, she tries to write a social commentary, romance, and art and music novel all r
Liz S.
I recently read The Time-Traveler's Wife and was pretty disappointed---the author somehow manages to turn such an awesome premise (the dude actually time travels!) into something pretty flat and prosaic and dull. The first hundred pages really hooked me, but after a while I started to get irritated by:

1. All the name checking of hipster-approved bands in an attempt to establish Henry's supposed "punk" cred. He liked the Violent Femmes in 1991. That's why he's so badass? Seriously?

2. The food por
Why can't there be a negative star rating? I hated, hated this book. And yes, I did finish it. All way-too-many pages of it. But, in my defense it was (foolishly) the only book I brought with me when I was hospitalized for 24 hours after wisdom tooth surgery, and when your options are daytime soaps or this wretched book...well, at least I got to read the ending and conclude definitively that it wasn't worth it. Okay, now that I've gotten a bit of a rant out, let me be a little more organized abo ...more
Jan 31, 2008 Swaps55 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
i hate reading books that everyone keeps bothering me to read. first there are the gushing reviews from the media, complete with intelligent sound clips:

"it's so awesome! so titillating! the way the author captures that thing where the girl says that stuff and then they go to that cool place.. you know? even oprah says so!"

and then there are the crowds of friends who carry around their freshly bought "it" book (ok, i'm bitter, i can't afford to buy new books) who can't wait to share their newf
Shan B
Mar 09, 2008 Shan B rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to jump on band wagons, sheep and lemmings
Let me start this by saying I was very excited to read this book. I thought it was going to be good. It is not in any way good. It could have been good, the idea could have soared but in Niffenegger's hands it was destroyed by laundry lists of grocery bag contents, street directions, and punk bands until I even said, out loud, more than once, "okay, I get it." He bought groceries, he knows how to get around in Chicago, Clare likes to clean her studio, he is not just a punk rock poser but the rea ...more
I am conflicted about this book. Do not let my 4 stars fool you, they are an emotional rating.

I'll start with the things I really liked about it:

Loved all the foreshadowing. The knowing something was going to happen, and maybe even a little bit of what it was, but never knowing or understanding fully until both characters had experienced the moment. And then all the foreshadowing of the tragic end. Once I started putting the puzzle together I really couldn't put it down. And I had several moment
Claire Greene
Just because something is popular does not mean it's good. Mass "taste" is often incredibly bad. Such is the case with this book, only it's not incredibly bad, just not worth the hours it takes to read it.

It seems like every fiction book I've read in the past couple of years is highly depressing, this one included. My life is full enough of it's own challenges and disappointments that I'd like to read to escape. Yes, if novels are full of heartache and struggle, they are realistic and more accur
Rating this was really hard, because I really liked it (really, really liked it) but I have such qualms with the ending, which could very possibly be a testament to Niffenegger's writing, I'm not sure. Anyway.

There were several things I wanted to talk about while I was reading it, more or less having to do with the notion of time-travel in the book. Obviously, there's always the immediate connection between Henry DeTamble and Billy Pilgrim, both of which are unstuck in time, Henry because of a b
I adore this book. I love it with all my heart. The first few pages were a delight, a surprise, and from then on it was a sweet love affair. I wanted both to have read the book all at once and also to have it all yet unread so I could savor it. I simply didn't want it to end.

The story is about two people, the time traveler and his wife. On the surface, they are like any two people who love each other in modern times, except for the fact that he travels through time. You'd think that fact would m
There’s a reason I hate Oprah’s Book Club, and the reason is that I think she does a disservice to the millions of American women who adore her by recommending terrible books. Oprah’s problem is that rather than directing her legions of fans to classic books (or ones destined to become classics) with complex plots and fine writing, she directs them instead to crap like The Notebook. The Notebook and The Time Traveler’s Wife belong to the same genre – you’ve heard the term “chick flick”? These tw ...more
Kat Kennedy
I almost feel that the author wrote this book in two halves. The first half she wrote while at the pique of her ability and enthusiasm. The second half she wrote while on some very impressive anti-depressants.

The first half of this book is sweet, wistful, beautiful and touching.

The second half of this book is heart breaking, depressing and sloppily written.

I finished this book wondering what the hell I'd actually gotten out of it. My not-so-startling conclusion was: nothing.

When I read a book,
i feel there is a special circle of hell reserved for authors who make a fortune by blatantly ripping off better--but less mainstream--authors from the past and passing the ideas off as their own. I therefore will not review this book but instead re-direct the curious to a 1976 novel called Kindred by Octavia Butler, ostensibly a sci-fi novel but in fact a lean, precise and totally imaginative book for any alert reader.

Avoid bloat, trashiness, sexism, predictability and slowness: don't read thi
May 26, 2008 Annalisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who can endure sex and swearing for an excellent story
Recommended to Annalisa by: Hannah Coleman
I loved this book. It's not perfect, but it made me feel and think and want. It's one of those stories that pulls you into the characters' lives and leaves you wanting more, mulling over the scenes and premise for days after you've reluctantly turned the last page. Rarely is such an original idea portrayed with such vivid language so you believe the time travel possibility and the characters are almost people you know.

It's about a guy who involuntarily travels time. He can never predict where o
Oct 20, 2014 Marissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of scifi, fantasy, or intelligent romance
Shelves: fiction
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Very few books have ever made me cry. Off the top of my head, only two really stand out: Charlotte's Web and Thunderwith. I am now adding The Time Traveler's Wife to the list, and to the list of books I can't get out of my head for days after.

This is a highly ambitious debut novel. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. I had my doubts, I truly did. And I can never read a book without also noticing typos, editing errors etc., but although they're distracting they can't ruin a good book.

The time tr
I am not a romance reader by nature. That's not to say that I don't enjoy them from time to time, but I just don't usually gravitate toward romance. And to be completely honest, I had absolutely zero intention of reading this book, ever. But then it was chosen as my October Bookclub book, so my intentions just became irrelevant.

So, now that I've read it... Umm... Well. I think that this book did have an interesting premise, and in another author's hands, could have been fantastic. But most of t
Sep 17, 2008 Melissa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Melissa by: Lora Strawn
I'm finally finished! I have several problems with this book, many of which were laid out by my friend Liz's brilliant post (thanks for lending me this read--I think). First of all, it's way too long. The plot is not so action-packed that it merits 600 pages and hour upon hour of my time. Why you ask? Because nothing happens! There were about 400 pages where Henry just floats back and forth through time, Clare is annoying, and no plot advancement occurs. I mourn the loss of all those trees.

The s
Maggie Stiefvater
Jun 17, 2008 Maggie Stiefvater rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for love stories but not romances.
Recommended to Maggie by: Helene Keough
Shelves: recommended
What I love about THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE is that Niffenegger absolutely nails the relationship between Henry and Claire. For all the book's faults (in particular a draggy middle), I haven't read a book yet with such chemistry between the two main characters. Add to that Niffenegger's beautiful use of language and dry sense of humor and this is a book I keep going back to.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Cons
Hippo dari Hongkong
OK, to be honest, I'm having a hard time reviewing this book. I had a mixed feeling that sometimes I like this book and sometimes I dislike this book. There were moments when I just want to throw this book and moments when I suddenly realized that I'm having a hard time putting it down. It's difficult to write the review cause somehow I want to tell you everything.

Henry has chrono-displacement disorder, and he will be sucked backs and forth in time (mostly when he was stressed). He can't control
Huda Yahya

رائحتها عشقية بلا ابتذال ولا مزايدة
وتمت معالجة الفانتازيا هنا بحرفية شديدة

جعلتني مرتاحة وسعيدة
قضيتُ وقتا ممتعاً ووقعتُ في غرام الشخصيات

القصة شديدة الغرابة عن رجل يسافر عبر الزمن ليقابل حب عمره بطريقة لم يتقابل بها عاشقين
In this imaginative and unusually written story, an unorthodox romance develops between the handsome time-traveling librarian, Henry and beautiful artist Clare who struggle to find a way to accept and adjust to their difficult relationship. With no conscious control over staying put in the present time or knowledge of where he will end up next, the (often naked) Henry encounters many dangerous and embarrassing moments, relives some horrendous occurrences of times past, and handles it all with wi ...more
The time traveller's wife is probably one the rare few books that I read after having already seen the movie. But it was on the list and you don't argue with the list. My friend and I, last year decided to take the challenge to complete the BBC 100 list. This is number twenty five.

On the surface, it is the same old boy meets girl, girl meets boy, they fall in love and then something bad happens. La de dah . But here's the thing- the boy has a rare genetic affliction that allows him to time tr
Nov 03, 2009 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the women in my book club who never read the selected book
Recommended to Jen by: my local book club
I married at age twenty, a dozen years ago. Every year of marriage only confirms that I chose well, or was lucky, or the fates were smiling upon me, whatever (and if my married years aren't proof enough, there's Facebook as a nice reminder). But I remember that at the time of my wedding, I didn't really feel like I had a big choice to make. There was no nail-biting scenario where a cartoon drawing of myself might have looked pained over having to choose between a heavenly or hellish future draw ...more
I wish that this book was a Choose Your Own Adventure, so that when Henry starts yapping off at the jib about seventies punk to that high school kid at the Christmas party, that you could choose, instead of having the kid listen in rapt gratefulness while Henry lists off all the bands this schmuck has to find out about, to have the kid kick him square in his unbelievably pretentious punkrocklibrarian balls.

People like this book???!

I know I threw my credibility out the window when I admitted that
Really didn't know what to expect from this as I randomly picked it up knowing next to nothing about it! But, wow was this book good!!

I loved the time travelling element so so much and the way it was written really added to that too! Each chapter had me hooked and I was desperately wanting to read on!

This book is so utterly beautiful but also really moving, I wasn't expecting tears but the tears were real...

(I also realised there's a film of this book and was wondering if it's worth a watch? I d
helen the bookowl
So... As you can see from my rating, I'm one of those very few people who didn't absolutely love this book. I started out reading with an open mind and high expectations because I had heard so many great things about this novel; however, I finished reading the last pages with an urgency because I wanted for it to end.
I had quite some problems with this book, but let me start with the main one: While reading this book, I came to a realization about my reading preferences: I like for my storyline
  • The Red Tent
  • Fortune's Rocks
  • Bloodroot
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  • Q & A
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • The Distance Between Us
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books,  #1)
  • The Monsters of Templeton
  • Black and Blue
  • A Gracious Plenty
  • Animal Dreams
  • A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister
  • All Clear (All Clear, #2)
  • The English Patient
  • The Rossetti Letter
  • The Hours
Audrey Niffenegger (born June 13, 1963 in South Haven, Michigan) is a writer and artist. She is also a professor in the MFA Creative Writing Program at Columbia College Chicago.

Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife (2003), was a national bestseller. The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpre
More about Audrey Niffenegger...
Her Fearful Symmetry The Night Bookmobile Raven Girl The Three Incestuous Sisters The Adventuress

“Don't you think it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?” 3598 likes
“Love the world and yourself in it, move through it as though it offers no resistance, as though the world is your natural element.” 2276 likes