Start by marking “Music: An Appreciation Brief Edition with 5-CD Set” as Want to Read:
Music: An Appreciation Brief Edition with 5-CD Set

Music: An Appreciation Brief Edition with 5-CD Set

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Music: An Appreciation,6/e is an exciting new revision of the most widely used text for the non-majors' Introduction to Music or Music Appreciation courses. Instructors have made Kamien's Music: An Appreciation the leading book because of its thorough coverage (including world music),because of its unsurpassed supplements package (including multi-media software),and becaus ...more
Published July 9th 2010 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Music

Jimyanni
This book purports to be a survey of music from the Middle Ages through the present; as such, it spends rather a lot of space covering music from 450 AD through 1900, and precious little attention on anything that could loosely be considered "modern". It also gives only a short chapter nod-of-the-head to non-western music, with a tiny subchapter on sub-Saharan Africa and a slightly longer subchapter on Indian Classical music and Ravi Shankar. It seems to me that if the desire was to write a text ...more
Mojgan
بهترین کتاب آموزشی...هر صفحه رو به جای خوندن می بلعم
Kelsey Williams
This textbook was great, with incredibly detailed examples for specific music pieces. It covers each period of music, and has a really useful glossary and index. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if my instructor had activated the online Connect music feature that it was written to be used with, but that isn't the books fault.
Mostafa
كتاب بسيار خوب و ارزشمند ، كه مولف تلاش كرده با ارائه يك مجموعه امهّات مباحث موسيقي جهاني را مطرح سازد . از مباحث تئوريك و بنيادين تا معرفي ساز ها ، معرفي دوره هاي تاريخي ، سبك هاي گوناگون و معرفي آهنگسازان مطرح در هر دوره .
به هر حال داشتن اين كتاب جامع به هنرجويان و علاقه مندان به ويژه در حيطه موسيقي جهاني توصيه مي شود.
Veronica
A very interesting "every angle" look on music and its possibilities. Great information regarding composers of every time period and genre and music patterns/ styles. Definitely a book to read if you're into music of any kind. Fascinating read.
Portia S
This lovely book sends one on a musical adventure from Vivaldi to Stravinsky, where one learns to identify unique features of each musical period. Also, there are lovely biographies of some of the greatest musicians of all time.
siavash nazerfasihi
کتاب بسیار جالب و خواندنی. به طور مختصر حوادث اتفاق افتاده بر موسیقی رو در طول تاریخ بررسی میکنه.میتونه به عنوان یه منبع کلی باشه. البته نکات مهمی هم حذف شده. نمیدونم که خود مالف ننوشته یا ترجمه نشده یا شایدم سانسور شده.
Miguel
This is the textbook I use in Music Appreciation. The music selections are excellent and I really like the listening guides, but it's biggest drawback is that it does not cover jazz in nearly enough detail.
I was assigned this book when I took a music course back in college. I thought it was interesting and I liked how it came with a CD to listen to the piece as you read.
Shiva
کتاب خیلی خوبی برای کسایی هست که دوست دارن آشنایی فشرده ایی با تاریخ موسیقی داشته باشند. طرح های شنیدنی کتاب واقعاً آموزنده و "شنیدنی" هستن!!
Marisha
everybody can read and enjoy of it,even if they know nothing about Music.
It is one of my pleasure in my art-life to be acquainted with this book.
EA
In the picture of the orchestra there is a saxopone with "bass clarinet" as its label. On the upside, it includes Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
Storm
Dec 09, 2009 Storm rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Music lovers
Shelves: own, school
This was a really good overview of music history and I really enjoyed reading and listening along.
Kari
My 6-year-old brother liked this one (the parts I let him see)
Rebecca
It's just what it claims to be - can't complain.
Hajar Salimi khaligh
همه چی درباره موسیقی( خیلی کامله!)
Navid Abyazi
دانشگاه موسیقی
Emily
Emily added it
Jan 13, 2015
Jonalyn Tongtongdan
Jonalyn Tongtongdan marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Quinn Stafford
Quinn Stafford marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Dory
Dory marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Mostafaiq
Mostafaiq marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Josiah Aston
Josiah Aston marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • تئوری بنیادی موسیقی
  • Living with Art
  • Realms, Regions and Concepts, 13th Edition
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. C: The Restoration & the Eighteenth Century
  • تئوری موسیقی
  • Music Theory for Computer Musicians
  • The Enjoyment of Music: An Introduction to Perceptive Listening
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • Socrates to Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy with Free Philosophy Powerweb
  • The Bedford Introduction to Literature: Reading, Thinking, Writing
  • America: A Narrative History, Volume 1
  • موسیقی شعر
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • The American Heritage New History of the Civil War
  • Warriors of Medieval Japan
  • The Kings and Queens of England
  • Economics
  • The Mediterranean Diet
Study Guide and Student Workbook to accompany Music: An Appreciation, Brief The Norton Scores: An Anthology for Listening Beethoven's Piano Sonatas 8-CD Basic set for use with Music: An Appreciation MP3 Download Card for Music: An Appreciation, Brief