Start by marking “Full Moon” as Want to Read:
Full Moon

Full Moon

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Full Moon is a photographic journey to the Moon and back, drawn from NASA's 32,000 pictures from the Apollo missions. For the first time NASA has allowed 900 of its 'master' negatives and transparencies to be taken offsite for electronic scanning so as to produce the sharpest images of space that we have ever seen. From this selection of 'master' photographs Michael Light ...more
Published 2002 by Jonathan Cape (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Moon

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonA Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingCosmos by Carl SaganThe Selfish Gene by Richard DawkinsGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Best Science Books - Non-Fiction Only
240th out of 864 books — 2,004 voters
90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingMidnight On The Moon by Mary Pope OsborneThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonThis World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer
The Moon on book covers
37th out of 189 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
This is a beautifully produced book of images taken primarily from the Apollo moon missions (there's a couple from the earlier Gemini missions, too), which after 40-odd years are still breathtaking.

The photographs are presented on black pages with only the image numbering as text. Captions are given for each photograph at the end of the book and, while this means much flicking back and forth on a first read, allows the images to stand for themselves when you go back over them, which I certainly
Teresa
Apr 11, 2008 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: who's ready to be truly in awe?
Absolutely amazing! The only place I've seen more breathtaking images of space, the moon, and earth is at the Rose Center for Earth and Space, inside Hayden Planetarium in NYC – which is a permanent exhibition of the best of this book's prints.

Light's work is incredibly stunning on that large scale (this hardcover's dimensions are smaller than your standard coffee-table book size) and I recommend spending time there if you can. That said, this is a great little book to have around, as a reminder
Jonathan Ratty
The remedy for when those sad little 'We-never-went-to-the-moon' idiots pop up their heads occasionally. I'd love to beat every one last one over the head with this book. But since they simply cannot grasp the magnitude of what was achieved here, the beauty of this book is lost on their empty little souls.
Joan
Glorious, huge photographs. There is really very little to say about this book. If you loved the Apollo missions and you watched Neil Armstrong take that fist step, then this book is for you.
thegift
beautiful pictures. ‘magnificent desolation’ indeed. humankind will never be to mars until humans walk on that distant world, as this series of moon landings makes clear, as this art meets science, makes the abstract real, in a way no math, no engineering, no science, can. this wonder is completed in these images. for those of us very unlikely to ever visit the moon, here are postcards of the dream.
Christopher
I regret not finishing the last few pages of narrative before returning the book (late) to the library. What I read was very educating and well written. I actually got more out of the text than I did the pictures, which I equate more to my modern-era short attention span than anything else.

Kudos Mr. Light, I'll be back to finish the last few pages.
Chris
Beautiful collection of photography from the US moon missions. Stark black and white in some places and full four-color photography in others, this captures the space, the light, and the astronauts, who seem completely out of place in the grey dusty blackness. A few beautiful gatefold panorama shots add to the impact.
Mark
This is the most beautiful book of Apollo-related photographs I've ever seen. Yes, it's "just" a picture book, but anyone who has any interest in Apollo will want this one on their shelf to look at again an again, and to show to others. Better than anything Ron Howard or Tom Hanks could create.
Matthew
The antidote to 100 Suns this book collects some of the best photos from the US space program. These pictures are so beyond description. They give a great feeling of humanity at its best.
Aquarium
Oct 09, 2009 Aquarium marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
Read about it at http://gizmodo.com/5377509/this-is-no... and it caught my interest :)
Karl Kindt
Fantastic photos, some never published anywhere else, with great commentary and explanation.
Martin
How could you not fall in love with the Moon after seeing these pictures.
Katrin
This is an amazing book. The pictures are so clear and stunning.
Jraptor
Pretty. Very pretty, but little content.
John Dalton
This book is simply gorgeous.
Joe
Jan 05, 2009 Joe added it
Great picture book.
Amanda Quental
Amanda Quental marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Mantas
Mantas marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Rian
Rian marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Kishorekumarilla
Kishorekumarilla marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Wilson
Wilson marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
  • Apollo: The Race To The Moon
  • Rocketman: Astronaut Pete Conrad's Incredible Ride to the Moon and Beyond
  • Moondust: In Search Of The Men Who Fell To Earth
  • Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13
  • Space Race: The Epic Battle Between America and the Soviet Union for Dominion of Space
  • Failure is not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond
  • This New Ocean: The Story of the First Space Age
  • Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race
  • Falling to Earth: An Apollo 15 Astronaut's Journey to the Moon
  • Stardust: Supernovae and Life -- The Cosmic Connection
  • We Seven: By the Astronauts Themselves
  • Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
Michael Light is a San Francisco-based photographer and bookmaker focused on the environment and how contemporary American culture relates to it. His work is concerned both with the politics of that relationship and the seductions of landscape representation. He has exhibited extensively nationally and internationally, and his work has been collected by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, The ...more
More about Michael Light...
100 Suns LA Day/LA Night Bingham Mine/Garfield Stack Michael Light: Lake Las Vegas/Black Mountain Socialmedia Influence - Currency of the Future