Start by marking “George Balanchine: The Ballet Maker” as Want to Read:
George Balanchine: The Ballet Maker

George Balanchine: The Ballet Maker

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Part of the Eminent Lives Series, this biography, written by the gifted author Robert Gottlieb, will describe the life of the dynamic George Balanchine, the foremost contemporary choreographer in ballet. Timed to coincide with the 2004 centenary of the artist's birth.

The life and achievement of the great choreographer who both summed up everything that proceeded him in bal
Published October 26th 2004 by Eminent Lives

To ask other readers questions about George Balanchine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Balanchine

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeilddancergirl by Carol M. TanzmanRussian Winter by Daphne KalotayDancing on My Grave by Gelsey KirklandThe Man I Love by Suanne Laqueur
Best Books About Dance
45th out of 130 books — 130 voters
The Ballet Companion by Eliza Gaynor MindenApollo's Angels by Jennifer HomansPassion to Dance by James NeufeldGeorge Balanchine by Robert GottliebDancing Through Time by Christopher Dafoe
Non Fiction Ballet
4th out of 9 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Mar 14, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
This is a great place to start if you don't know very much about Balanchine. It's short, readable, and offers a high-level introduction to Balanchine's life and his contributions to ballet. Robert Gottlieb can get a little pretentious at times (as he keeps mentioning how he and other NYCB backers were more visionary than the dance critics writing about Balanchine's shows), but he does a nice job of distilling seventy years into 200 pages.

Balanchine on the Danes: "The people here are shit. Nobody
Apr 08, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ballet, bio-memoir
A succinct survey of Balanchine, read just in time for Los Angeles Ballet's Balanchine Festival Gold (Balanchine Red is still running, fyi) which I saw with C and her dad. I can no longer tell what I learned from this book as opposed to the million other ballet memoirs I've read, but it does neatly encapsulate why Balanchine and his dancers have captured my fascination.

Here is Balanchine on his own beginnings as a dancer: "I was, as a matter of fact, a wonderful dancer."

Balanchine's philosophy
Christina
Jan 17, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. This is a great, short introduction to the genius of George Balanchine, his life story and all his contributions to American ballet.
I came in with basic knowledge of ballet, famous ballerinas and Balanchine, having seen a few of his ballets and being passionate about the art and the NYCB for a while now, so I was eager to learn more about him. This did the job, and I found myself actually smiling a lot, sometimes laughing outloud, as I was reading the many anecdotes,
Cherylann
Dec 09, 2011 Cherylann rated it it was ok
George Balanchine actually has a pretty fascinating life story, (Don’t worry Lucius, I’m not praising him as a choreographer) but this book was nearly impossible to get through because of the dull voice the author employed. Yes, this is a biography, thus non-fiction, but that does not automatically toss a book in the boring category. Certainly, a biographer’s job is different than that of a fiction writer. A biographer must stick to the solid facts, while a fiction writer is free to do whatever ...more
Bill
Oct 22, 2009 Bill rated it it was amazing
fabulous, from gottlieb who was there. nice to mention in passing that you edited Catch-22; was editor in chief at the New Yorker; and worked to run the NYCB with Balanchine and Kirstein. Favorite anecdote: there's a techie smoking on the stage as he cleans up, Balanchine loses his temper for the only time in his life and screams at the man: "You don't smoke here! This is a stage! People DANCE here.
Heather
Dec 23, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
This wasn't anything spectacular, but was a good no-frills summary of George Balanchine's life. It's only a couple hundred pages and though you could read something more lyrical and, let's face it, more juicy, this is a good way to get a quick snapshot in a short amount of time.
Frank
Aug 06, 2008 Frank rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dance fans
A very good short bio of the best ballet choreographer of the 20th century.
Angela
Mar 16, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Short and sweet.
Dale
Dale added it
Feb 07, 2016
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Kaelah
Kaelah marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Austin Dowdy
Austin Dowdy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Brie M
Brie M is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2016
BMR, MSW, LSW
BMR, MSW, LSW marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Asif
Asif marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Ian P Parsons
Ian P Parsons rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Gig
Gig rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Sally Anne
Sally Anne marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Mary Beth Munlin
Mary Beth Munlin marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Clem
Clem marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Allison Pullin
Allison Pullin rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
  • Where Snowflakes Dance and Swear: Inside the Land of Ballet
  • The Diary of Vaslav Nijinsky
  • Dancing Through It: My Journey in the Ballet
  • The Shape of Love
Robert Gottlieb has been the editor in chief of Alfred A. Knopf and The New Yorker. He is the author of Sarah: The Life of Sarah Bernhard, George Balanchine: The Ballet Maker, Lives and Letters (FSG, 2011), and Great Expectations and is the dance critic for The New York Observer.

More about Robert Gottlieb...