Start by marking “Them and Us: Changing Britain - Why We Need a Fair Society” as Want to Read:
Them and Us: Changing Britain - Why We Need a Fair Society

Them and Us: Changing Britain - Why We Need a Fair Society

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The suddenness and depth of the recession has raised questions about the workability of capitalism not seen since the 1930s. One of the constraints on recovery is the growing belief that if the old model did not work there is no new one on offer. This book sets out to provide one, arguing that reconstructing a bust financial system is not just a technical question. It cann ...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Abacus (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Them and Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Them and Us

Paul
Jun 12, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
In some ways this is quite a depressing book, given all the social and political problems that we have in the UK. Hutton details the way that Laissez-faire capitalism and banking in particular has failed in the UK, and how these have affected the complete social fabric of the country. The subjects covers are as wide ranging as the erosion of parliament, the concentration of power in No. 10, education and the power of the press barons.

The second half of the book are the proposals that he would li
Alan
Mar 31, 2015 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read ahead of the upcoming UK general election, reminding me of the situation immediately after that country's coalition government was formed in 2010. Hutton provides a snapshot of a brief period when there did seem to be general optimism about the Conservative-Liberal Democrat deal. Of course much of his initial optimism about the coalition government ability to transform Britain ultimately proved unfounded.

Hutton's grand vision for a fairer Britain is well articulated and he pa
Glen
Apr 25, 2014 Glen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful writer ... I struggle a bit personally with economics ... But his argument and evidence is compelling ...
Cat
Mar 08, 2015 Cat added it
The book to read if you voted Conservative and believe they know what they are doing to get us out of the mess we are in. Turns out they don't and they won't, their economic plans for austerity built on lies. Who knew. Very accessible reading and I'm looking forward to Hutton's plan B, the one our politicians couldn't (or wouldn't) come up with.
Me? I'm fairly apolitical these days. Suspect my three year old niece could run the country better than the poor party choices we have.
Anil Swarup
Jun 30, 2012 Anil Swarup rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding analyses of what is going wrong in Britain on the economic front but it could well be true of what is happeneing else where in the world. The suggested remedy is being advocated by a number of economists. After being sold out to Adam Smith's philosophy during the later part of the 20th century, the move is now towards greater role of the state, perhaps an outcome of a scenario similar to the 1930s.
David
Feb 28, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Thought-provoking, well-formed, forceful arguments. Will Hutton restates the importance of basic human values in evaluating economic, political and financial policies. A must-read for politicians and those who are interested in long-term intentions rather than short-term measures.
Fiona
Jan 28, 2012 Fiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, thought provoking stuff- even blogged about it- Hutton always worth listening to
Susie
Dec 04, 2011 Susie added it
Shelves: current-affairs
Interesting!
Nanci Hogan
Nanci Hogan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Anthony Lavery
Anthony Lavery rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
John
John added it
Feb 15, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Lisa Smith
Lisa Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
James Graham
James Graham rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Chris Leslie
Chris Leslie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Phil Mccann
Phil Mccann rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Uzair
Uzair is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2015
ms
ms added it
Nov 26, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Gareth
Gareth rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Steve
Steve is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2015
Cory Hazlehurst
Cory Hazlehurst marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Ian Laker
Ian Laker rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2015