Them and Us: Changing Britain - Why We Need a Fair Society

Them and Us: Changing Britain - Why We Need a Fair Society

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
An engaging and optimistic analysis of the recent financial crisis thatoffers wide-ranging practical solutionsgrounded inan underlying philosophy of fairnessThe suddenness and depth of the recession has raised questions about the workability of capitalism not seen since the 1930s. One of the constraints on recovery is the growing belief that if the old model did not work a...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published January 1st 2010)

Paul
In some ways this is quite a depressing book, given all the social and political problems that we have in the UK. Hutton details the way that Laissez-faire capitalism and banking in particular has failed in the UK, and how these have affected the complete social fabric of the country. The subjects covers are as wide ranging as the erosion of parliament, the concentration of power in No. 10, education and the power of the press barons.

The second half of the book are the proposals that he would li...more
Cat
Jan 30, 2012 Cat is currently reading it
The book to read if you voted Conservative and believe they know what they are doing to get us out of the mess we are in. Turns out they don't and they won't, their economic plans for austerity built on lies. Who knew. Very accessible reading and I'm looking forward to Hutton's plan B, the one our politicians couldn't (or wouldn't) come up with.
Me? I'm fairly apolitical these days. Suspect my three year old niece could run the country better than the poor party choices we have.
Anil Swarup
An outstanding analyses of what is going wrong in Britain on the economic front but it could well be true of what is happeneing else where in the world. The suggested remedy is being advocated by a number of economists. After being sold out to Adam Smith's philosophy during the later part of the 20th century, the move is now towards greater role of the state, perhaps an outcome of a scenario similar to the 1930s.
David
Thought-provoking, well-formed, forceful arguments. Will Hutton restates the importance of basic human values in evaluating economic, political and financial policies. A must-read for politicians and those who are interested in long-term intentions rather than short-term measures.
Fiona
Good, thought provoking stuff- even blogged about it- Hutton always worth listening to
Susie
Dec 04, 2011 Susie added it
Shelves: current-affairs
Interesting!
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2014
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Rohan
Rohan marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Alan
Alan is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2013
Ali Scrimgeour
Ali Scrimgeour marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Alan
Alan is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2013
Anant Mittal
Anant Mittal marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Lux Aureole
Lux Aureole marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Fabiano
Fabiano marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Adam Wainwright
Adam Wainwright is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2013
Keiran
Keiran added it
Aug 20, 2013
Ami
Ami added it
Aug 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The State We're in: Why Britain is in Crisis and How to Overcome it The Writing on the Wall: Why We Must Embrace China as a Partner or Face It as an Enemy The World We're In On the Edge: Living With Global Capitalism The State To Come